PDA

View Full Version : {CARB-SWAP}All chromed up & nowhere to go

grandpaslincoln
02-15-2005, 06:55 PM
http://www.grandmarq.net/jonpics/chromedup/1.jpg
Got the chrome Valve Covers on. It was a bitch to get all the old cork gasket material off of the heads, but I got it done. The V/C's are by Spectre Performance, and cost $39.99 at Partsamerica.com.

http://www.grandmarq.net/jonpics/chromedup/2.jpg
I still have to wrap all the wiring up, to get it all neat and nice. The 2150 2BBl fit nice on the intake, with no problems whatsoever.

http://www.grandmarq.net/jonpics/chromedup/3.jpg
I got done removing the old bracket that holds the EEC coil on. It looks less cluttered now between the alt. and the Valve Cover. I also located the new coil over to the driver side.

http://www.grandmarq.net/jonpics/chromedup/4.jpg
Old school distributor-I used a 1974 Ford F-100 Points distributor. It works really well.

All the chrome shit I got is by Spectre Performance. I am happy with the quality of the chrome plating, it looks really nice.

Anyway, the swap is completely done, and I am happy with it.

Grand Marquis GT
02-15-2005, 07:08 PM
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

85crownHPP
02-16-2005, 12:22 AM
awsome man!

Paul_
02-16-2005, 01:34 AM
looks great man. i think when i can afford it, i'm gonna join the motorcraft 2150 crowd :D

phayzer5
02-16-2005, 03:43 AM
2bbl wussies :banana: :beer: :slug:

Grand Marquis GT
02-16-2005, 09:45 AM
Let us not forget who installed ur carb, justin :smirk:

p71towny
02-16-2005, 02:48 PM
4bbl for me, and Ive got aluminum finned valve covers. :dance: But the 2bbl is on there now.

RugerP97DC
02-16-2005, 04:30 PM
I hate chrome! Shows ANYTHING!!! Even a fingerprint!!! I prefer powder coating to chrome. But I must admit that looks really nice!!! :drool: :drool:

Lincolnmania
02-16-2005, 08:05 PM
2bbls rawk! looks good jon

gadget73
02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
Nothing quite like the sound of a 4 bbl and a flipped air cleaner lid tho.

Fordman75
02-16-2005, 09:55 PM
Looks good Jon! :beer:

grandpaslincoln
02-17-2005, 02:55 AM
*sobbing*

They know my name! They REALLY know it!

Really though, thanks guys. It was a real pain in the ass, and I have to thank Tom and Scott for helping me out with the shit I couldnd't figure out.

Thanks dudes! If there is anyone I forgot to mention, don't feel bad, cuz I thank you too!!!!

trwp72
02-17-2005, 04:03 AM
Thats it.. when I get to the engine compartment on the "four door Mustang".. (The LTD) it is gettin Four Barrels!!! (got to go with the Ford intake and carb, so it will look stock), but it will preform alot better than the CFI!!! Tom, you up for another install???? Tom....

Grand Marquis GT
02-17-2005, 09:39 AM
Always up for another install :D

Im the carb swap guru :D

Paul_
02-17-2005, 11:13 AM
well come upo to new hampshire and lets throw a carb on christine :D

Grand Marquis GT
02-17-2005, 11:22 AM
Paul, you can do your carb swap the same way Im doing mine.

It will cost less than 400 bucks, and isnt very much labor.

Also, you wont have to drop teh tank with my method!

phayzer5
02-18-2005, 03:55 AM
you still havent proven it to work and last :D :beer:

trwp72
02-18-2005, 04:15 AM
I'm going to have to drop the tank on mine, and remove the electric pump, and go with a mechanical fuel pump.. My car has two fuel pumps, one in the tank, one under the car, (where the second muffler goes..)

Just a thought....
I wonder if just the electic pump in the tank could be used.. with a fuel regulator on it... (I wonder what kind of pressure it puts out, by itself?)
Maybe I can just remove the under car one, and use the one in the tank, so I won't have to swap out the pick up in the tank....

Tom...

phayzer5
02-18-2005, 04:51 AM
If it has two pumps, you could probably follow all the mustang carb swap articles...same fox-chassis and everything...

trwp72
02-18-2005, 05:17 AM
Haven't seen any articles on that.. know where I can look????

grandpaslincoln
02-18-2005, 08:20 AM
The in-tank pump is a low pressure unit, which feeds the high pressure unit outside of the tank. I don't know why Ford did this, it doesn't make much sense to me.

I have no idea what kind of pressure the in take pump produces. You could probably hook a fuel pressure gauge up to the in tank pump and see what it produces, but this would probably be a pain in the ass.

Grand Marquis GT
02-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Justin, STfU.

Yours works.

Also, my setup will be fine, you are just in denial :nana:

Tom, Ill figure something out when we get to it. Im good like that. I also found a small bracket that corrects the AOD TV geometry problem, without the lokar kit!

Cost? Around 20 bucks. you can get em for an edelbrock or holley!!!

phayzer5
02-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Mine works because we used an edelbrock with lokar kit and dropped the tank to remove the stock pump :D :usa:

Ifixyawata
02-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Haven't seen any articles on that.. know where I can look????
Here: http://www.jason.fletcher.net/tech/efi-carb/cfi-carb.htm

And... points? What the hell...

Fuck you guys, I'm getting a one-barrel, the ULTIMATE in performance! Muahhhhahahah![/quote]

marquisman
02-18-2005, 06:56 PM
i gots to figure out what to do with the vac hoses when i get my air cleaner.

85crownHPP
02-18-2005, 08:34 PM
i gots to figure out what to do with the vac hoses when i get my air cleaner.

throw them away :D

marquisman
02-18-2005, 09:44 PM
but remeber, i have the air cleaner off the good ol' VV(R.I.P to the VV) so i gots 2 more vac hoses. i guess i just plug everything off?

Lincolnmania
02-18-2005, 11:29 PM
there is only one fuel pump on the panther chasis cars............some ford trucks had 2 or 3 pumps
scott

trwp72
02-19-2005, 04:38 AM
lincolnmania,
I'm talking about my "Baby" LTD... the fox chassis one!!!

1. Check to see if you have 2 fuel pumps, one in the tank then one on the rear frame close to the tank. Use only the one in the tank and bypass the one on the frame rail.

2, As an alternative you can also use a mechanical fuel pump or an electric aftermarket pump by adding a sump to your fuel tank. To sump the tank go to the auto parts store and buy some 3/8 steel brake line that is about 12 inches long. Take down your fuel tank and remove the stock in-tank fuel pump. Leave the rubber tube that hangs down in place, measure the length from the rubber thing to the bottom of the pickup where the stock filter used to be. Then cut the tube just a bit longer and slide it into the rubber hose and use a clamp on it. Mount your new fuel pump AFTER the stock fuel filter. Now you have a home-made pickup that'll handle 400hp.

Number one is excactly what I was thinking...The one in the tank is new, the previous owner had it replaced right before I bought it... He was having problems with the CFI (Imagine that!).. and the in tank pump was out...
So I will remove the one under the car, and just use the tank one.... I wanted to get rid if the undercar one anyway, so I can run two mufflers on my exhaust system... intsead of the dual in dual out muffler I was going to use...

Tom....