PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to learn how to weld?

Mercmarquis
05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
I will most likely bring my merk to scottfest on a trailer. I'll most likely tow it with my welding rig. If anyone wants to learn some welding tips and tricks, I will bring some plates and rods and show you guys how to weld. I have the capabilities to stick, mig/flux core, and scratch start tig with it. I want to see how much intrest there is so I can bring enough materials.

If you can bring gloves, a helmet, and something to cover yourself with (old jacket, sweatshirt whatever so you dont get burnt by the uv rays and spatter).

Grand Marquis GT
05-18-2009, 12:10 AM
I am definitely down!!

SVT98t
05-18-2009, 01:01 AM
me too!!! i need to get learned!!!

Lincolnmania
05-18-2009, 06:12 AM
what you dont like a welders tan?
sounds like fun.....i have a portable mig here

85MercPark
05-18-2009, 09:24 AM
I'd like to learn TIG, done MIG and stick. Overhead is may favorite. I got a burn in my ass crack to prove it...

86VickyLX
05-18-2009, 03:56 PM
That sounds like fun! And you can show me how to do it on an HO throttle body. :)

mrltd
05-18-2009, 05:27 PM
That sounds like fun! And you can show me how to do it on an HO throttle body. :)

that will take a whopping 2 seconds to do...

87gtVIC
05-18-2009, 05:33 PM
that will take a whopping 2 seconds to do...

lol yea.

85crownHPP
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
count me in!!

Lincolnmania
05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
i got an idea..the dump truck needs the bed fixed

gadget73
05-18-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm interested, but limited past experience tells me I have a very hard time not moving the gun while flipping the helmet down. I really hate how dark welding glass needs to be, can't see shit though that stuff.

mrltd
05-18-2009, 07:39 PM
I know how to , but I'd love to get better.

Archangel
05-19-2009, 03:57 AM
i got an idea..the dump truck needs the bed fixed
How powerful is your MIG, Scott? Ya know I'm pretty good with that stuff, just as long as I ain't working on body sheetmetal :D

I'm interested, but limited past experience tells me I have a very hard time not moving the gun while flipping the helmet down. I really hate how dark welding glass needs to be, can't see shit though that stuff.
Automatic-screen helmets are your friend man, but if it makes ya feel any better I can't work with a regular pitch-black one either.

1987cp
05-19-2009, 10:39 AM

I assume that's why Scott said he prefers the handheld shield? I've got both that and a cheap helmet from Menard's, and I found myself digging out the shield when I was under the car with little room for flipping the helmet around.

Ivan, I thought auto-darkening helmets, aside from being pricey and not cost-effective if you don't use them often, were supposed to allow slight eye damage in the few nanoseconds it takes them to darken?

P72Ford
05-19-2009, 06:38 PM
We have an automatic screen. Makes it alot easier.

CheeseSteakJim
05-19-2009, 07:31 PM
Ivan, I thought auto-darkening helmets, aside from being pricey and not cost-effective if you don't use them often, were supposed to allow slight eye damage in the few nanoseconds it takes them to darken?
I bought a Lincoln auto-darkener for $100 new. I've seen auto-darkening masks for as low as $60 brand new though. If you weld often enough to plunk the cash down on a decent MIG welder, then why not get an auto-darkening mask?

Also, I really doubt the time it takes for a mask to automatically darken can allow eye damage. If it does, it's so negligable it doesn't matter. I have a friend who regularly welds without a mask whatsoever (and has woken up blind several times because of it - somehow his sight always comes back and he never learns) and considering he sometimes welds for hours, I really don't think a nanosecond is going to make much a difference.

I personally can't weld for shit without one, and I'm in the autobody trade. Shit, I don't even own a MIG and I bought myself a mask.

Stick welding is the only kind I don't know, and I'd love to learn it. I need to learn some heavier duty welding for the bobber I'm building.

Lincolnmania
05-19-2009, 07:44 PM
How powerful is your MIG, Scott? Ya know I'm pretty good with that stuff, just as long as I ain't working on body sheetmetal :D

Automatic-screen helmets are your friend man, but if it makes ya feel any better I can't work with a regular pitch-black one either.

it's a lincoln 175 amp 220 mig welder ivan

gadget73
05-19-2009, 08:26 PM
I'd like to try an auto-dimming shield. I think it would help me a lot. I'd also really like to learn TIG welding. I think I'd have better results if I could hand feed the rod. Unfortunately I know absolutely nobody who has a TIG setup, and only one person who has a stick welder. Brazing is another thing I really should learn, it comes in handy for certain types of repairs.

Mercmarquis
05-19-2009, 09:20 PM
If you get a decent hood thats light, flipping it up and down aint no problem. The cheap harbor frieght and the like suck ass. I have a basic $50 fibre-metal hood and its the best hood I've worn.

Auto darkening hoods are great if you get a good one. I like them because they allow you too stick your head in a small space where you might not be able to use a flip hood.

The cheap ones will either darken when someone welds next to you which sucks, or they might not darken at all if your head is in a wierd position. I like the flip hoods cause I dont have to change a battery or worry about it not darkening in odd positions.

The rumor about auto darkening hoods exposing your eye for split seconds causing damage is completely false. Most of them change within 1/25,000 of a second... That rate is so small your eye cannot even pick it up.

Right now I do not have the capability to tig aluminum or any AC tig with my rig, I need an AC inverter box thingie to hook it up to.

For most beginers scratch start tig will be a big bitch without the high frequency start. Im gonna have to bring a shit load of tungsten. I might be able to borrow an invertec machine and run it off the rig.

Cable Guys FGMQ
05-19-2009, 09:35 PM
Yeah thats kool, since I aced welding class in College, I could use a refresher Pete..

Mercmarquis
06-05-2009, 06:34 PM
Got thermal arc inverter tig machine the other day. I'll see if I can bring it down as there seems to be alot of intrest in TIG welding

gabegt90
06-10-2009, 11:15 AM
I would love to try welding out

zoomie
06-11-2009, 12:19 AM
i know how to stick,somewhat mig but id love to learn how to TIG especially aluminum!

tim marks
06-29-2009, 12:12 AM
i know chicken scratch welding......... ide love to have some pointers to help me be a little better

thunderbirdlver
06-29-2009, 03:15 AM
id like to learn more but I'm shy around a lot of people :(

1987cp
06-29-2009, 06:59 PM
What's chicken scratch welding? It sounds funny ... is it just the welding equivalent of chickenscratch handwriting?

tim marks
06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
yea basically. its a skill i have not mastered yet for sure. its ugly when i have to weld something up.

1987cp
06-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Then apparently I'm very much of a chickenscratch weldor as well. :D

1980c10
07-10-2009, 05:14 PM
I was ASE certified for auto collision until I let it run out. But I can also do industrial type welding and frame work. So I can help some guys out on the mig if I am there.

gabegt90
07-10-2009, 08:35 PM
hey pete I know what you can demo on. my trailer the rear of the deck is rotted maybe you can weld in a new piece of metal for a support?

Lincolnmania
07-10-2009, 09:08 PM
I was ASE certified for auto collision until I let it run out. But I can also do industrial type welding and frame work. So I can help some guys out on the mig if I am there.

need help hanging a used rr 1/4 panel on a mk7

1980c10
07-11-2009, 02:23 AM
As long as you have a gas mig I will stick it on there for you

Grand Marquis GT
07-11-2009, 02:29 PM
Yay!

87gtVIC
07-11-2009, 04:51 PM
lol Now all you need to find is a drivers side 1/4 for GMGT.

85MercPark
08-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Will the welding still be going on?

I need a piece of my portable grill fixed...

Archangel
08-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Bring it in and I'll weld it up for ya, I got like 200psi in the tank so should be good for some light welding.