PDA

View Full Version : {ENGINE} Super Unknown - header install

monterey1962
05-18-2006, 11:21 AM
Okay, so this isn't going as well as I had hoped. I can't seem to seperate the cats from the manifolds (even the impact wrench won't budge 'em), so I'm going to try and take 'em out as one piece. I even soaked it down with PB Blaster. The driver's side manifold bolts are all coming out. The passenger side is the problem.

Also, vac lines are breaking on me. One from a emission valve broke, but I'm not worried about that. The one that does worry me is the one pictured below. Can anyone tell me what it is for and how I should go about getting a new one?

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440013/fullsize/100_5149.jpg

Link to more info in other thread. (http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=8666)

grandpaslincoln
05-18-2006, 11:30 AM
Trace the vac line back to where it begins. That looks like a small vac reservoir that it attaches to.

As for the manifold/cat thing, I just now remembered that I also could not break the bolts free while the manifolds were attached to the engine. I had to take them out as one peice. Even when I got them out, I had to cut one of the bolts for the flange to get the downpipes off. Those things are gonna be a bitch, I had to put most of my weight on them to get them off. I think on the drivers side you can bring the manifold up and out, but on teh passenger side you have to drop the manifold down between the engine and the frame.

89LincolnTWNcar
05-18-2006, 11:34 AM
that red one should go to the tree that is in the back of the upper manifold.

monterey1962
05-18-2006, 11:36 AM
The red vac line is attacked to the unit below it. There are sever vac lines that come into that unit from the emission valves and from somewhere around the back of the intake. I may end up leaving it 'til the rest is done.

85crownHPP
05-18-2006, 11:41 AM
that is emissions vacuum storage. red line = direct vacuum = bad vacuum leak. Just patch the line the best way you can.

Archangel
05-18-2006, 12:30 PM
Justin, this is how I did my vacuum lines, this is as simple as it can get without removing the EGR system:
http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=10924&s=32754#content

monterey1962
05-18-2006, 01:39 PM
Thanks, Ivan.

(http://www.napaonline.com/masterpages/NOLMaster.aspx?PageId=470&LineCode=BSH&PartNumber=15725&Description=Oxygen+Sensor)

monterey1962
05-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Got the O2 sensor issue solved. The guys at CarQuest rock. I got the right ones now. CarQuest part number: OXY 75-1517. Long wires indeed.

Tom has his hacksaw. I have my angle grinder of mass destruction. :D I pulled both sides w/ manifolds connected to the cats. Driver's side manifold caught on the shift linkage. Enter angle grinder. There's no going back now. Passenger side came down and jammed. Two hard kicks and it dropped. Whew. Those bastards have some weight to 'em.

Grand Marquis GT
05-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Yes they do :D

Actually, the hacksaw is reserved for when my sawzaw batteries go dead :hacksaw:

Lincolnmania
05-18-2006, 03:57 PM
i use the hoterench hehe
monty easy fix for that vac line........get some small windshield washer tubing that will fit over the plastic line......use a little weasel piss to make the tubing slide over the plastic line easier

mrltd
05-18-2006, 06:05 PM
If there is enough room, just pull the remainder of the vac line out of the elbow and put the other end in there....

And advance sells the hard vac line also. Only in black though.

monterey1962
05-18-2006, 11:56 PM
Well, S.U. finally has headers and no cats. Yay! Didn't get a chance to fire her up tonight. I have to run down tomorrow and pick up an O2 sensor that I have on order and some rubber line (Thanks for the info, Scott). Hoping I can get an appt. tomorrow to get the glasspacks put in. I just hope there are no leaks. Had a little trouble getting the H-pipe to match up to one header. I put a bead of Hi-Temp Silicone sealant around each port on both sides of the gaskets. Used 1 1/4" bolts with both types of washers. Pretty much everything is back together except for the air box, but I need to gain access to the O2 sensor plug, yet.

Btw, I replaced my oil pressure sending unit. Turns out the old one had just sucked in a strand of teflon tape and was plugged. Sometimes it's just the little things that get you.

All in all, I feel good and had fun doing this. The headers look like they belong there rather than those clumpy manifolds. I should get some pics tomorrow. Maybe even a vid or two. :D

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440014/fullsize/100_5152.jpg

grandpaslincoln
05-19-2006, 01:08 AM
Shit, I forgot you had 4 cats lol

That's some good news right there mang, let us know how that bad boy sounds!

gadget73
05-19-2006, 01:41 PM
Those manifolds are heavy ugly bastards for sure. Even the weight reduction you get by going to headers makes it worthwhile, the flow improvement is just another bonus.

monterey1962
05-19-2006, 02:57 PM
Oh sweetness. Fired her up this morning. Runs great. Sounds great. I can feel the difference when driving her. Definitely breathing better now without the cats and manifolds on. Went down to Meineke and had it finished this morning. $205 got me two 18" glasspacks and some pipe, plus labor. The guy down there does great work. I reused the old tailpipes to save money. He cut the lower flanges off of the H-pipe and went down to a 2 1/4" pipe, then into the glasspacks, then into the 2" tailpipes. I kept the old ends and flanges. Sounds mean. The old duals just sounded like an old suffocating engine without mufflers. Now she has a real attitude. :D Pics and vids below.

Before:
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440015/fullsize/100_5146.jpg

After:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440016/fullsize/100_5161.jpg
(http://www.supermotors.org/getfile/325306//100_5169.MOV)

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440018/fullsize/100_5162.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440020/fullsize/100_5170.jpg

Lincolnmania
05-19-2006, 03:48 PM
looks good!
i always leave the flanges......makes it easier to take apart in teh future, or say i wanna put a catted h pipe on my car if need be for inspection purposes

Grand Marquis GT
05-19-2006, 06:08 PM
Sounds good! Just wait till they break in :D

monterey1962
05-19-2006, 09:03 PM
I let my mom drive S.U. tonight. She almost didn't want to give the car back. She loves the new exhaust and how S.U. handles. :D Felt odd being in the passenger seat.

83tc
05-19-2006, 09:48 PM
i had the cherry bomb glasspacks on the linc, sounded ok, kinda quiet, although ive had straight pipes on her for so long now ive gotten used to it, just redid everything from the h pipe back, sounds alot better, old exhaust was flex pipe and random parts cause i had no money to do it right, i still have no money, but 50 bucks total aint bad, new pipes from h pipe to over the axle pipe(reused old ones) then new tail pipes at a 45 degree angle out behind the rear tires, hooked up the flamethrowers again and poof, nice smooth flow, not too loud thanks to some kinda ghetto resonated tips(for now, inspection may make me put some kind of muffler on it, but thats not til august), looks way better, dosnt scrape as bad, still scrapes, but the car sits low, watch those steep driveways and speedbumps, ive got the same headers and h pipe and itll scrape sometimes, good deal mang...

p71towny
05-20-2006, 02:01 AM
Glad to see S.U. back in action. I know your car is happy and is rewarding you. Mine on the other hand is falling apart :(

nitroracer
05-20-2006, 02:11 AM
I slapped on a off road H-pipe and now Im scraping the ground all over the place, I have to put the stock mustang H back in for inspections anyway.

monterey1962
05-20-2006, 06:46 AM
I haven't noticed any real clearance issues with this, so far. Clearance is one reason he cut the lower flanges off. The on side was pointed downward and he cut it back to the straight part. The H-pipe is up against the cross member good and tight. Btw, the H-pipe is a BBK. Crap, I should have mentioned: I left the belt on the air pump and A/C. I did not remove the valve that is right next to the air pump and I did not cap that line. No problems, so far. I pulled the metal tubing that goes from the cats up along side the engine. I left the valve on the metal tubing that comes from the back of the engine and capped it off with one of the short pieces of rubber hose and a large bolt.

So, what should I do with the old manifolds? Take the time to get 'em seperated from the cats or just toss the whole works? The cats are trash, but if someone needs a good pair of manifolds, there they are.

Next weekend I plan on taking a day trip with S.U. I'm really curious to see if there will be an improvement in fuel mileage with the new exhaust and new O2 sensors (which also had 170K miles on 'em). I don't know if my random rough idle is gone or not. It hasn't surfaced, yet.

Blaze86Vic
05-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Kick ass man, sounds mucho nice! keep up the good work on her!

Archangel
05-20-2006, 09:18 PM
Justin, you should see a decent improvement in mileage - with the stock single exhaust and without air conditioning and smog equipment Angie was getting about 24mpg when running at 75mph on cruise control, last night and today i saw 23mpg running at 65mph with the A/C on for about 200 miles straight. And my exhaust is more restrictive than yours, plus the huge scoop on the hood doesn't do any good to the aerodynamics of the car.

Blaze86Vic
05-20-2006, 09:58 PM
Justin, you should see a decent improvement in mileage - with the stock single exhaust and without air conditioning and smog equipment Angie was getting about 24mpg when running at 75mph on cruise control, last night and today i saw 23mpg running at 65mph with the A/C on for about 200 miles straight. And my exhaust is more restrictive than yours, plus the huge scoop on the hood doesn't do any good to the aerodynamics of the car.

Tell me you made that functional. Even in and EFI car it will help to keep the intake cooler on long drive, though rain water might be a concern if you do not have good connectors with a good coating of di-electric grease.

Archangel
05-20-2006, 11:30 PM
All my connctors have good seals, and are also overfilled with dialactric grease. Water doesn't even go in there though, so no worry about that.

Blaze86Vic
05-21-2006, 10:38 AM
All my connctors have good seals, and are also overfilled with dialactric grease. Water doesn't even go in there though, so no worry about that.

I would suggest that you get the rubber cover for the distributor back on there. A little watter in there and no good. The rubber cover will pprevent that completely, and I think it cleans up the looks as well, especialy when you have the red MSD cap on the grey distributor.

Paul_
05-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I like it!

Archangel
05-21-2006, 08:26 PM
I would suggest that you get the rubber cover for the distributor back on there. A little watter in there and no good. The rubber cover will pprevent that completely, and I think it cleans up the looks as well, especialy when you have the red MSD cap on the grey distributor.
It's already done, just the pics are from right after my trip, before which I didn't have time to dig in the boxes for the rubber boot.

monterey1962
05-21-2006, 10:48 PM
I think I may have an exhaust leak. I'm getting a noticeable smell under the hood. The headers are on tight and I used that Hi-temp silicone around each port. The only place that I think could be leaking is the header-to-H-pipe connection. I tighted those nuts up and the H-pipe sat good against the headers. I can't seem to find any visible leaks. I plugged the line that comes from the back of the heads, too. Anything I may have missed?

85crownHPP
05-22-2006, 12:09 AM
She sounds awesome mang! So good it makes me want shorties now....

Archangel
05-22-2006, 02:32 AM
Justin, that steel pipe you plugged might have cracked somewhere, these rust out very badly and you won't see the crack/hole until you take the bitch out. I say yank the damn thinf out and plug the heads directly (5/8 bolts), see if that solves your leak problem.

monterey1962
05-22-2006, 02:50 PM
Dang, I had a feeling I should have ripped that out when I had the chance. I don't see how the heck I can get back in there to the bolts with everything together.

I figured I'd try something first, so I re-installed the rubber line that goes from the air pump to the T valve and into that metal pipe to the heads. I plugged the T line that would normally go down towards the cats. Didn't smell anything when it was running this time, but I didn't run it long, so I'll just have to check it out another time.

monterey1962
05-29-2006, 08:55 PM
*cough* Okay, I'm gettin' way too much exhaust in the cab. I'm not seeing any leaks where the headers bolt to the heads or the H-pipe. I will try snugging the bolts that hold the H-pipe to the headers when I get time. I'm getting a lot of exhaust in the car while cruising down the highway. I'll try to get that emissions pipe off and those holes plugged.

Btw, the rough idle that would show up from time to time appears to be gone. I suppose it was a combination of plugged cats and old Oxygen sensors.

Archangel
05-29-2006, 09:09 PM
Justin, I bet it's the damn smog pipe - the postion of the headers mounting flanges (for the H-pipe that is) is such that even if you had a leak there the exhaust will get sucked down under the car from the low pressure created thete while driving - I hale a slight leak in my passenger side pipe-to-manifold connection but I never smell exhaust gases in the car.

Lincolnmania
05-30-2006, 06:32 AM
bet u melted the hose to the thermactor pipe........u need to use steel pipe or a section of hi temp silicone hose $$ check there mang

monterey1962
05-30-2006, 08:30 AM
I reused the hose sections that were on the car before. I'll check it anyway.

monterey1962
06-04-2006, 05:13 PM
Are there any tricks to getting back to the bolts on that emissions pipe on the back of the heads? Pretty tight squeeze to get a wrench in there. It's only one bolt per side, right? How does one plug the holes? I've got to get this leak fixed.

Blaze86Vic
06-04-2006, 06:43 PM
Once you get the pipe out. Cut the little blocks off where each bolt goes. Flip them over and rebolt them on. Done. Once you get it off, you will see what I am talking about. The metal blocks act as block off plates.

monterey1962
06-04-2006, 06:45 PM
Ah, sounds simple enough. Thanks.

Archangel
06-04-2006, 06:52 PM
What Blaze said, or you can thread 5/8 bolts directly in the big holes - there will be plenty of carbon build-up shit there though, so it'll take you a while to clean the threads.

monterey1962
06-04-2006, 06:59 PM
Oh, so those holes are actually threaded. Now I get it. Cool. I'll see what I find.

Archangel
06-04-2006, 07:03 PM
Yeah, they are threaded, but it's a bitch and a half to get the bolts in there - I had my upper intake off when doing mine, so maneuvering the wrench in there was much easier - in any case give it a try, but don't get surprised if you end up using Blaze's method for sealing them air ports.

monterey1962
06-04-2006, 10:33 PM
Got you, you little bastard . . .

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440021/fullsize/100_5313.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440022/fullsize/100_5315.jpg

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/440023/fullsize/100_5319.jpg

I ended up cutting the pipe and flipping the ends around. We'll see what happens now.

Archangel
06-04-2006, 11:14 PM
Told ya it was the air pipe - your damage on it ain't nothing compared to mine though, my air pipe has half-desinegrated at the back side of the bend after the check valve. Glad you got it taken care of, guess there ain't no more exhaust leak?

monterey1962
06-04-2006, 11:56 PM
I haven't driven the car, yet. I'm currently rewiring and rerouting all my gauges. I also plugged the hole in the firewall that I had made for my original gauge wiring (what a mess). Before I use the car, I'm going to check the nuts on the headers/H-pipe to make sure they are snug.

Grand Marquis GT
06-05-2006, 02:28 AM
When I did mine, I hacksawed the pipe off, and flipped the ends around, and bolted em up..

monterey1962
06-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Just a little update. Since I removed that "holy" emissions pipe and plugged the heads, I haven't had anymore exhaust in the cab. I can't even smell it under the hood.

grandpaslincoln
06-27-2006, 09:19 PM
Cool :cool:

Archangel
06-28-2006, 04:22 AM
Just a little update. Since I removed that "holy" emissions pipe and plugged the heads, I haven't had anymore exhaust in the cab. I can't even smell it under the hood.
Told ya! :lol3:

JK, glad it worked.