Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scott & Scott's Steamtown Trip - July 23, 2011

Hey y'all,

Scottmang and I were discussing going out to Steamtown National Historic Site on Saturday, July 23. We wanted to open it up to all GMN members and possibly make a mini-meet out of the day.

You'd feel heat from the firebox, smell hot steam and oil; you'd hear the whistle, feel the ground vibrate, and watch as one-ton drive rods turned steel wheels. Remember the sound of "chuff-chuff" from the smokestack? Today, you can learn the history of steam railroad transportation, and the people who built, repaired and rode, as we work to preserve a special era in America's industrial history!

Entrance fee is $7...$5 additional if you want to go on the daily train ride (who wouldn't?). Museum is located in Scranton, PA; opens at 9am and closes at 5pm. We had talked about it a little bit, so if it's still okay with Scottmang, I'll be heading to Skippyville Friday night beforehand to cut my drive short and so we can head out together Saturday morning.

So unless Scott chimes in on this saying otherwise, this is the plan so far. :smirk:

sigpic
    - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Thats hilarious your going on my birthday lolz
    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

i will go if i dont have work that day.

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
      -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
      1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

I'll be in Michigan. Sorry!!

-ryan s.
        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
        Originally posted by pantera77
        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I love how this is only going to be 5 minutes from my place. See you all there!
          2002 Nissan Maxima 6spd 14.2@98mph "it may or may not be street legal"
          2009 Chevy HHR Panel - My office
          1988 Lincoln Town Car - The new love of my life

Comment

Never been, but I'd love to go. I'll probably see you up at Skippyville on Friday night.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

if at skippyville between picking up trucks I'll be there

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
              302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
              k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

no problem i'm looking forward to it

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                  no problem i'm looking forward to it
                  Excellent. I know you're a busy mang, so just wanting to make sure it's all full-steam ahead. (pun intended) :smirk:

As long as Sarah gets off of work, she'll be joining as well.

sigpic
                  - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarquis View Post
                    Excellent. I know you're a busy mang, so just wanting to make sure it's all full-steam ahead. (pun intended) :smirk:

As long as Sarah gets off of work, she'll be joining as well.

what time you guys leaving on saturday. i will see if i can leave sat early at 5AM to head down to skippyville and convoy with you guys down to scranton.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

just meet us at steamtown since you are already up in that neck of the woods

what time scott?
                      10 ish?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        just meet us at steamtown since you are already up in that neck of the woods

what time scott?
                        10 ish?

where to meet at the front door of steamtown historic site. gotta find an address of this place.

Comment

Comment

Do they also have steam beer?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Scottmang, I'll probably show up towards the evening; 7pm or 8pm? Wouldn't mind getting there when it opened, so we'd probably have to leave around 8am or so. Don't wanna get there too late, I'd rather have too much time than too little.

And if you want some money for that camper, I can bring up my CB if you wanna help me put it in. :smirk:

Originally posted by MattsGrandMarquis View Post
                              where to meet at the front door of steamtown historic site. gotta find an address of this place.

Website says the entrance is at the intersection of Lackawanna Ave and Cliff St. Or for a GPS, use 4 Lackawanna Ave, Scranton, PA. Or N 41.410730 (latitude), W 75.671329 (longitude) if you wanna get technical.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X