Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Catalytic Converter/Exhaust Repair - Need insights...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Catalytic Converter/Exhaust Repair - Need insights...

Hi Everyone,

My name is Tori, and I am the proud owner of a 2004 Grand Marquis Mercury! I am new to the forum world, so not sure on the edicit here (sorry!), but really glad to find you guys, and to see such a great group of people working together & connecting!

Unfortunately, my 2004 Grand Marquis is in the shop with exhaust problems. I am told I need a new catalytic converter & the back exhaust is rusted out. The quote came in at $2,600, but this seems REALLY expensive! Being a girl w/out of state plates, I am worried about getting ripped off.

Can anyone help with the expected costs, does $2600 seem right? Do I need an OEM CC or can I use an after market part & save money? Also, they keep mentioning CC options, do you know what kind of CC is in a 2004 - front/back, left/right, dual exhaust? I have no clue where to start!

A thousand thanks for your help on this! Just want to get her back up & running again without breaking the bank (if possible!)

Best,

Tori

Hi Tori. That is REALLY expensive. Do NOT do it. Advance Auto price on a direct fit cat for the Grand Marquis is $215. The exhaust system from them is only another $200. Find another shop. Cats don't just go bad anymore. To have to replace a cat on a 2004 sounds like a scam.

sigpic
    2009 GM, 45,000 miles
    ADDCO Sway Bars, METCO Control arms & Watts link, KYB CVPI shocks, 3.27 Track Lock, GT500 wheels, Eagle F1 Supercar tires, Walker dual exhaust, AFE Cold Air intake, ADTR ported upper manifold, Stillen Sport Rotors, Hawk HPS pads, Hypertech Programmer, 93 tune.

Comment

yeah they're trying to rip you off.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

that's insane!

what is wrong with the converters?

are you anywhere near central pennsylvania? i need work right now and i work for an honest living, i know people cannot afford these insane quotes........been replacing exhaust over 25 yrs......worked at a meineke for 3.

scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

if you can get to Lincolnsmania's shop, do it, assuming there is something wrong with the car. Tons of satisfied customers on here.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I can understand the price if they're putting on twin turbos and tuning it... but if it's stock fix-it-up... heck no! I had my single exhaust converted to duals for $500. just replacing the cats should be WAY less.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.

Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There's another thread. This user is in Nazi Emissions Central, California...

Comment

Me, I'd be shocked if the exhaust on an '04 needed any work at all. Have you had a look under there yourself?
                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I did my whole dual exhaust set up from Advanced, from manifolds back, for $550. They are trying to rip you off. Plus, with the new design from Walker(the company that makes the cats), they deleted the front two cats. It's a good deal.
                  Good luck!

-ryan s.
                  08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                  03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                  97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                  94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                  73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                  12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                  Originally posted by pantera77
                  Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I half wonder if you even need new converters. Don't take this the wrong way, but do you have a guy friend who will go to the shop to have them explain the problem to him? I don't mean to insult you, but the fact is a lot of places will try and take advantage of a woman just because they assume women are all car stupid. For whatever reason this seems to happen less to guys. Also, I'd go somewhere else for a second opinion. The back part of the exhaust I could see being bad, but the converters usually last damn near forever. I replaced a set on my 91 Mark VII because there was a small crack at the pipe. It could have been fixed fairly easily and those had 225k miles on them. The converter on my 96 Chevy is still fine at 157k.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A rip-off indeed..!!!

I just put an aftermarket cat/pipe on one side of a whale... it only cost the shop 100 something, should be less than 200 for a walk-in customer at a parts store for a direct-fit converter/pipe.
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Working...
                      X