Barge Lincolns: '77 Town Car and '78 Mark V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barge Lincolns: '77 Town Car and '78 Mark V

I'm letting go of my barge Lincolns to downsize my car hobby and focus on my Tudor project. I hate letting cars sit without attention, and I don't have the resources to put new tires on the Town Car and tackle the Mark V project for the foreseeable future.

1977 Continental Town Car, ordered without opera windows from the factory. 460/C6, 41k original miles. Needs tires for safety but little to nothing else. Asking $4000 CAD or best offer.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1049559868

1978 Continental Mark V Diamond Jubilee Edition, project car, very solid aside from C-pillars (clean donor pillars included). Tons of extra parts including many DJE-specific bits. $2500 CAD or best offer.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1049576327

Take both for $5k!
    Last edited by RyPow; 02-09-2015, 11:57 AM.
    RyPow
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
    1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
    1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
    2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
    1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
    2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
    2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Does the DJE have a 460 or just the 400?

Comment

I'm tempted to sell my '88, bring back my empty beer bottles and buy the Town Car off you...
      ...really tempted.
      Can someone please talk me out of this?
      Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
      Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I cannot find a reason to do that. I love me some big ole boats.

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
          I cannot find a reason to do that. I love me some big ole boats.
          Me either. I love barges!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I say, "Lift the anchor and let them sail"!!!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by killgore View Post
              Does the DJE have a 460 or just the 400?
              It has the 460. It runs/drives, but definitely not roadworthy without a good once-over (carb rebuild, ignition bits etc.). Very smooth/quiet engine though, no knocks or miss.

Originally posted by slack View Post
              Me either. I love barges!
              I love them too, and would keep both of these but the extra shop rent is killing me. Plus, I really don't see myself working on them until the Tudor is done, and I'm also thinking of doing an HO conversion on the Sand Box. That is far enough into the future to warrant letting these barges go, and finding something else down the road if I'm still interested by then.
              Last edited by RyPow; 02-17-2015, 11:47 AM.
              RyPow
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

I find myself admiring the Town Car regularly over the past couple of days. I think I'm in love.
                If it weren't for the cost of getting there and the crapshoot trip to drive it home (Western Ontario to Labrador=2500 km) and the fact it's still very much winter yet, I would have seriously made a move to purchase that car from you already. Having it shipped to Labrador would cost a fortune which I don't have.
                If you haven't been able to sell it by the summer, I may be interested in trying to work out a deal. I always wanted a barge, and the 77 is my favourite year.
                Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
                Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                  I always wanted a barge, and the '77 is my favourite year.
                  You only live once. When the time is right, make a move.
                  '79 Continental Town Car
                  '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                  '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

'77 is the best year from 74-79, in my opinion. You get the RR grille and the Lincoln dash. In 78, they went to the ugly ass Mercury dash.
                    Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                    Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                    Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                    Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

Originally posted by 79lincolnlover View Post
                      You only live once. When the time is right, make a move.
                      I know, but this isn't the best time unfortunately. I'd have to pay the man then wait three months to go get the effin thing!

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                      '77 is the best year from 74-79, in my opinion. You get the RR grille and the Lincoln dash. In 78, they went to the ugly ass Mercury dash.
                      You forgot that with a '77 you're certain to get a 460 instead of the wheezy 400.

Comment

You forgot that with a '77 you're certain to get a 460 instead of the wheezy 400.
                        Not necessarily. The 400 was standard and 460 optional in 1977. In 1979, there were no options. They all got the 400, unfortunately.
                        Nick

Past: 1967 Continental convertible, 1987 TC Cartier, 1996 TC DAE & Signature, 2002 LS V8, 2006 Zephyr, 2010 MKZ AWD, and many more.....
                        Current: 2010 F-150 Platinum Supercrew 4x4
                        Wanted: 1967 or 1969 Contnential sedan
                        Only in my dreams: A Continental Mark II

Comment

I've seen a 77 with the 400, but more often than not you'll find the 460.
                          I agree 77 is a great year for the barge Lincoln's.
                          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                          Past Panthers
                          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by LithiumCobalt View Post
                            Not necessarily. The 400 was standard and 460 optional in 1977. In 1979, there were no options. They all got the 400, unfortunately.
                            Correct. However, a '77 with a Canadian DSO like this car was almost guaranteed to have the 460. I don't believe I've ever seen a Canadian '77 Continental or Mark V with the 400. This was probably thanks to our emissions laws which lagged behind the USA right through the late '80s at least. I believe '77 was the first year for catalytic converters in Canada on the 460 (perhaps more engines too) - my '76 Thunderbird was a local car and didn't have factory cats, but this Town Car had cats from the start and the "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the fuel gauge and gas door.

An older buddy of mine claims to have owned a '79 Town Car with a factory 460, back in the late '80s-early '90s. He doesn't have pictures, but I'm sure it was actually a '78. Would have been a cool car to keep around if it was indeed some sort of special-order animal. I keep prying him to remember if the upper dash panels were acrylic white ('78) or all woodgrain ('79).

I know, but this isn't the best time unfortunately. I'd have to pay the man then wait three months to go get the effin thing!.
                            No worries - the car probably won't move until spring anyway, so once the weather breaks we'll talk
                            RyPow

Comment

Originally posted by RyPow View Post
                              Correct. However, a '77 with a Canadian DSO like this car was almost guaranteed to have the 460. I don't believe I've ever seen a Canadian '77 Continental or Mark V with the 400. This was probably thanks to our emissions laws which lagged behind the USA right through the late '80s at least. I believe '77 was the first year for catalytic converters in Canada on the 460 (perhaps more engines too) - my '76 Thunderbird was a local car and didn't have factory cats, but this Town Car had cats from the start and the "Unleaded Fuel Only" warning on the fuel gauge and gas door.

An older buddy of mine claims to have owned a '79 Town Car with a factory 460, back in the late '80s-early '90s. He doesn't have pictures, but I'm sure it was actually a '78. Would have been a cool car to keep around if it was indeed some sort of special-order animal. I keep prying him to remember if the upper dash panels were acrylic white ('78) or all woodgrain ('79).

No worries - the car probably won't move until spring anyway, so once the weather breaks we'll talk
                              I'd ditch the cats anyway, along with all the rest of the smog crap. It's a real sin to have a power plant torque monster like a 460 choked off.
                              I'll have to see how everything goes...I have my current '88 left outdoors this winter (not really a fan of that) and I'd have to get some significant work done to that car and sell it before I could even realistically consider buying your car. Doesn't change the fact I'd LOVE to have it. And the road trip from Ontario to Labrador in that car would be quite the adventure....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X