No announcement yet.

1993 Mercury Grand Marquis Air Bag Module

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thermal resistor might be the single black thing in the middle of the board. Thermal fuses look kinda like resistors, so it's hard to say from that. Dunno if there should only be one or multiple...
    1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
    1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Originally posted by Arquemann View Post
      Thermal resistor might be the single black thing in the middle of the board. Thermal fuses look kinda like resistors, so it's hard to say from that. Dunno if there should only be one or multiple...
      Thanks bro - I'll take a more careful look. I assume you mean the black round item in the middle? According to a YOUTUBE video, there is only one thermal fuse and resistor. They just look vastly different from what I have in front of me hence the confusion. I'd just like to find them and see if I can repair it to keep as a spare as new ones are extremely if not impossible to find. That is assuming the caps are good - they look ok but need to test them for sure. The new unit, so far, is working well so I'll look into it when I can. By the way, wonder what the black and white thing on the board is?
      What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

Disclaimer: I don't know much about electronics.
        But this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000701.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	1388305
        Looks like this:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	41K+sFVcM9L.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	1388306
        Thermal fuses look like normal resistors, there's quite a few of resistor looking things on that board. But they are easy to check, just check continuity from one side to another. It's a fuse so it should be ok or blown. You could check resistance through them, I believe a thermal fuse should not have much resistance like normal resistors do.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

Excellent info - thanks!!

Comment

Nope... the black and white plastic case has a resistor and the 10A thermal fuse. (I think it's 140C, but I'll have to look that up again).

Sorry, it's been a BUSY week around here.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

172C
              Found a video showing how to fix it:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                172C
                Found a video showing how to fix it:
                That's the same video I've seen but my "guts" look different as per my photo. I'll still try to figure this thing out. By the way, I greatly appreciate your help so no need to apologize - busy is busy!

Comment

According to this guy:

The black and white thing is the thermal resistor. I believe the internals of the black and white thermal resistor are the same as the 2 resistors the guy in the other video Sly posted.

Edit: LOL, finished watching the video, it is the same thing just in that black and white case.
                  Last edited by VicCrownVic; 05-05-2023, 01:06 PM.
                  Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                  ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                  ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wish the video was not fuzzy but you can certainly make it all out. He had a Code 51 where mine was Code 52 (which I think are the caps but I need to verify). Still need to check each component but this definitely helps - so many thanks!!

Comment

Yeah... the 4 large can shaped caps on the edge are the "backup battery". Doesn't really matter what version of that blue box you have, they all work the same basic way.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                        Yeah... the 4 large can shaped caps on the edge are the "backup battery". Doesn't really matter what version of that blue box you have, they all work the same basic way.
                        Difficult to get a straight answer (on the Internet - not here) but if I remember correctly, Code 52 points to defective caps. Maybe someone can verify?

Comment

Yes, typically. Sometimes it's cold solder joints on the pins to the connector or broken/corroded traces on the board. One module I pulled from a junkyard to diagnose my system with had corrosion on the board under some caps. I used it for the diag and found out the real issues eventually and swapped back to the original one after replacing the fuse. Then made a dummy out of the junkyard module (resistor between 12V and airbag light) that only lasted about 2 weeks before the resistor failed (most probable issue - not a large enough resistor). I didn't feel like making a "smart" enough circuit to really function properly (omnifet and a few complimentary components). But anyhoo. Having repaired that module a few times... I don't know if I actually have the dummy in the car or the OG module with a blown fuse... I know more than the average bear about the stupid thing.

Comment

I'll be checking for corroded/faulty solder points in addition to caps, fuse etc. Have several doctor appointments next week but hope to get to it soon. So far, the replacement module is not throwing any codes so I hope to repair the old one to use as a spare.

Comment

Working...
                            X