Something ain't right...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Something ain't right...

1996 CV LX... my daily driven CV of the last seven years is giving me headaches. Here is what I have angrily observed.

Engine starts but idle is high and rough. Idle never seems to come down.

If I put it gear (forward or reverse) it dies immediately.

If I rev it a smidgen I can put it in gear and floor it and it will move, but the idle continues to be high. If I slow down and come to a stop, it will die. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It will start and idle no problem every time.

Codes? P0125 and P0301.

New plugs, wires and coil packs in the fall of 2012 soooo not sure about the misfire. I've reseated the spark plug boot, remove the plug and cleaned it.

Idears? I need this pig to keep on running to take my ass to work. Appreciate any help or where to look.

No chance there is water down in the holes around the plugs is there?

P0125 would show up if the engine wasn't warmed up. if the engine was warmed up, the ECT is probably hosed.

Whats the air tube between the MAF and the throttle body look like? If the plastic cracked, it can make it run stupidly. Dirty MAF can also make it run stupidly.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The well for cylinder #1 is dry (the one alerting)... will yank the MAF apart and take a look.

The car isn't overheating so I don't care about the coolant temp thing... more worried about it not wanting to drive while in gear.

Comment

Gonna have to go buy a #20 security torx I guess. Somehow I knew this but I guess I forgot - last time I cleaned one of these was moons ago. God damnit.

Comment

well, if the sensor is bad, the engine will run stupidly. It may be related.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

A bad vacuum leak could do that, take a good look at all your PCV lines, the elbow boots like to turn into goo
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Clean your IAC too, if you haven't already.

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Was sick last week so didn't get to fiddle much. Picked up a T20 security today and cleaned the MAF. I can't be sure how dirty it was, my eyes suck.

I will take a look at the IAC also.

I don't think I have a vacuum leak.

The net result of cleaning the MAF was it seemed to run a little smoother at idle but that might just be the placebo effect. I will go clean the IAC and see how that goes.
                Last edited by Vic Vega; 08-03-2013, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Alright, took the IAC off and it was pretty gnarly. I cleaned it up good. Decided to pull the throttle body off while I was there - it was really, really gummed up. Spent a good while cleaning that. This car has the revised metal cross-over intake so I know the TB has been off the car at some point, but it looked like it has never been cleaned.

Got everything put back together. Ford needs to be shot for the placement of the IAC.

Started the car, idle seemed better, was able to put the car in gear (D & R) and it didn't die but ran really rough while in gear. Maybe that's the cylinder #1 misfire at work - I still need to chase that down. The fact that it's drivable now is a win.

Comment

Working...
                  X