2000 grand marquis vs 2000 crown vic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 grand marquis vs 2000 crown vic

I currently own a 2000 grand marquis and I plan on installing a K&N cold air intake.
    Problem is, K&N only carries cold air intake for the crown vic.
    Would this part be compatible with my grand marquis?

Same engine so shouldn't be an issue but I'd save my money. There will be other comments but under normal conditions, these units do very little (but make additional noise, unless you like that sort of thing). There is that "muffler" unit on the intake that some folks remove but that is all I'd do. Personal preference, I guess!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
      Same engine so shouldn't be an issue but I'd save my money. There will be other comments but under normal conditions, these units do very little (but make additional noise, unless you like that sort of thing). There is that "muffler" unit on the intake that some folks remove but that is all I'd do. Personal preference, I guess!
      This is the first modification I'm doing on any car, just getting into the business. Is this a good place to start?

Comment

2000CV or 2000GM, same thing, so it would fit.
        But miamibob is right, it may look cool and be the "thing to do", but in my opinion it would be a waste of money.
        Without other modifications the cold air intake will probably make little or no difference.
        For now, maybe you should consider a Marauder style air box from a CVPI instead?

Comment

The biggest bang for your buck without doing anything else will come from some better rear gears.
          I'm guessing you have a 2:73 rear, some 3:55's will make a world of difference!!!!

Comment

+1 on rear gear upgrade. If it's single exhaust, get duals (stock size is plenty unless you're adding boost). That will open it up nicely. The engine you have is the non-performance improved engine (they used the improved engine in 2001+). It won't get much of any benefit from the intake over the stock air filter. Swapping in a stock fit K&N Air filter would actually work better along with pulling the snorkel out of the front of the air box. That will move enough air in the upper range to help with passing gears on the road. If you do a PI swap or port those NPI heads... then the big cone filter (or the 04+ air box) will make a difference at the top end.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand.Marquis View Post
              This is the first modification I'm doing on any car, just getting into the business. Is this a good place to start?
              Your not going to gain anything but more noise and a lighter wallet.
              You'd be much better off doing a PI intake swap.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

What's your mechanical skill level? 1-10
                1. I can change tires

5. I can put a stock replacement transmission in a car

10. I swap box bodies onto whale frames!

If there's any confusion, I'll add more skill levels for yah.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                  What's your mechanical skill level? 1-10
                  1. I can change tires

5. I can put a stock replacement transmission in a car

10. I swap box bodies onto whale frames!

If there's any confusion, I'll add more skill levels for yah.
                  Thank you all for your input, I will consider and research everything posted.

I'd say I'm at a 4

Comment

It should work just fine in a GMQ, and there's no harm in it if you have the money to spend.
                    These guys are just trying to say that if you have the skills, the money is better invested elsewhere for more results
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                      It should work just fine in a GMQ, and there's no harm in it if you have the money to spend.
                      These guys are just trying to say that if you have the skills, the money is better invested elsewhere for more results
                      I agree.

Also. Pete, you best be damned to come to NorthernFest.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Ah, I'd like to, but unless I somehow magically get enough money to cover 4 tanks of gas and 2 days lost wages before then, it aint gonna happen, lol.
                        I've only missed one scottfest and plan to keep it that way, so I should see you there for the next one
                        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                        sigpic
                        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I’m no expert, but here’s what I’ve learned about intake stuff for my 2000 MGM.

Removing the restrictive trumpet from the air filter box is the absolute easiest thing to do. Here’s a link that goes into that stuff:

The next step up from removing the trumpet would be getting the '04+ CVPI air filter box (with an integrated larger MAF) and zip tube, but you need a "tune" for your computer to work with it. This is supposed to get you more HP.

Regarding the intake manifold itself, ours came with an “NPI” (non-performance improved) manifold with a plastic coolant crossover. If you still have one of these, you will want to replace it with one that has an aluminum coolant crossover before the coolant starts leaking from the plastic one (anywhere from slight to massive). You can use a “PI” intake manifold (PI in this context meaning "performance improved", not to be confused with "police interceptor" in other contexts, such as CVPI), though you have to do a few things to make it work right. Here’s a couple of links about this stuff:

I haven't seen any reference to needing a tune with the PI manifold. Compared to removing the restrictive trumpet from the air filter box, installing a PI manifold by itself just seems to be a more complicated way of allowing the engine to breathe better, though I did see someone refer to better fuel economy.

For our cars, the only other worthwhile PI upgrade seems to be putting in PI camshafts, for which I would presume a tune would be needed. Apparently, if you put in entire PI heads, you'd get higher compression but would have to use premium gas. From what I've seen so far, upgrading just the camshafts will give you about the same performance improvement while still allowing you to use 87 octane gas.

I've read about certain years having timing chain tensioner issues, so this might be something to think about changing somewhere along the line. This seems to be the sort of thing that should be done if/when you have to change the camshaft cover gaskets due to leaking oil.

You might want to consider a J-MOD. It's the same concept as a shift kit, but you do it yourself. Here's a link to a nice and simple explanation:

And here's a link for an "official" how-to video:

Mine came with dual exhaust and a 3.55 rear end, so I have no idea about any of that stuff.

How many miles on yours, BTW? Something to think about is replacing various steering and suspension joints and bushings at some point over 100,000 miles if they haven't been done. It's probably most convenient to do them all at the same time. It's a lot of work, but the upside is that these cars are durable and reliable and will last a very long time if properly maintained etc.
                          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 01-10-2015, 12:54 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                          X