No announcement yet.

aero body swapped onto a '98+ frame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the only major difference is the revised rear suspension...? If you were going to do that swap, might was well go '03+ and get the revised front end too.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I agree. I believe that the '03+ have the rear shocks on the outside of the frame as well. I could be wrong but I know this was something done on the Marauders and I believe it carried over to the rest of the panthers. And to add to the previous statements of the front suspension. The whale frames have a wider wheel base and that was due to moving the brackets for the control arms out so your front end steering stuff will be different. This swap just depends on how much work you want to do and how much skill you have to do it. I don't think I would ever want to do this because I don't a see a big enough benefit for all the work involved. I couldn't imagine it would be that hard to find an aero frame.

Comment

Thanks to all for the input! I'm just dreaming at this point. The reality is that I'll have to try and sell the car or part it out. It would be awesome to find a solid aero frame though...I have a contact that goes to junkyards in South Carolina a few times each year. Perhaps he can find what I'm looking for.
        '79 Continental Town Car
        '90 Crown Victoria LTD
        '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

A watts link is what you'd get on a 98+. I wouldn't go 03+ specifically because of the front suspension. I drove one once, and it felt wierd. I also have a general dislike of rack and pinion steering and how it makes the wheel feel dead.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i hope whoever buys it understands what it is and doesnt just drive it til it dies.
            1988 MGM GS - Preferred Equipment Package 172A; InstaClear

1980 Lincoln Continental Coupe
            1994 MGM GS Montigua
            2005 F150 Lariat Scab 4x4 3.73 LS
            2002 Mustang GT Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              A watts link is what you'd get on a 98+. I wouldn't go 03+ specifically because of the front suspension. I drove one once, and it felt wierd. I also have a general dislike of rack and pinion steering and how it makes the wheel feel dead.
              Weird. I was actually going to ask, why a '98 and not an '03+? Of course, opinions probably vary, and I've never driven one of the newest ones.

Watts Link FTW, though. I tossed Nathan in MI's '01 around a corner once, and it was scary flat.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
              X