No announcement yet.

Help! One wheel steering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh - and a trick that might work - get two BIG hammers and smack opposite sides of the center link around the stud simultaneously, it will eventually fall out on its own. How fast 'eventually' is depends on how much you have in common with Thor.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ball joint press.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        Oh - and a trick that might work - get two BIG hammers and smack opposite sides of the center link around the stud simultaneously, it will eventually fall out on its own. How fast 'eventually' is depends on how much you have in common with Thor.
        Originally posted by sly View Post
        ball joint press.
        I heard about the hammer trick on CVN, but I'm not too keen on it since I don't plan on replacing the center link right now. I don't have a lot in common with Thor but I'm sure I could still find some way to bugger it up. I'll try a press before anything else, thank goodness for parts store loaner tools.

1995 Grand Marquis GS
        - 156k miles, three-tone until I find my paint
        1990 Toyota Camry DX - 211k miles, someone else's future barn find
        1994 Saturn SW2 wagon - wife's car

Originally posted by SVT98t
        I'll make it fit.
        I own hammers.

Comment

One time my steering box broke of my trucks frame.

Yeah that was fun

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Originally posted by rezwrrd View Post
            I heard about the hammer trick on CVN, but I'm not too keen on it since I don't plan on replacing the center link right now. I don't have a lot in common with Thor but I'm sure I could still find some way to bugger it up. I'll try a press before anything else, thank goodness for parts store loaner tools.
            If you use two hammers and strike at the same time, there's no way you can bend the center link if that's what you are worried about. Steering links are pretty effin' strong! That in combination with a BJ press tool might work great, if the tool will still give you room to strike on both sides of the hole.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

A tie rod/pitman arm puller will get that out.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                Ya, that seems to be the best first choice.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
                  I like that idea better. Always forget about that tool because I've never had to dick with the pitman arms.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Or take it off completely, bring it to a bench vise, open the jaws to support it either side, and bfh it out.

Comment

I got the stub out fine with the press, but now I messed up something else. I was using a cheater and snapped off my wrench.

The puller is flared at the end so it won't take a socket, and the box end of my 11/32 wrench is stuck on there. I can't even take the damn thing off. It's starting to round off just using the open end of the same wrench, and it doesn't help that in desperation I tried using the vise grips. I don't think I'm going to be able to get my deposit back on this one.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
                      I own hammers.

Comment

Looks like MANY front end parts need replacing - that is some serious rust there!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I would think you'd be able to file down the flaring to get the wrench piece off and fit a socket on.

This is the only way I'd try getting more leverage out of a wrench:

Here's the grinding method I was talking about:

I've seen pics of people cutting into the Pitman arm from the side, but you risk going too deep and messing up the shaft.

You can try hitting the Pitman arm with a hammer while it's under pressure from the puller, but you risk messing up the bearing. Mine took a lot of abuse before I resorted to the grinder, but next time I would skip the hammer.
                          Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-16-2015, 02:50 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Got a die grinder with cut off wheel? Cut the box end open.

Take the puller back, tell them to give you another one because it was unable to be used properly since it was too worn to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                              Looks like MANY front end parts need replacing - that is some serious rust there!
                              It's a Wisconsin car. By the time they're fifteen years old, *everything* needs replacing. Makes me wish I lived someplace where cars don't rust away to nothing in just a few years, then I might actually be able to drive something nice.

Originally posted by IPreferDIY View Post
                              I would think you'd be able to file down the flaring to get the wrench piece off and fit a socket on.
                              Possibly, I might try that. If I had any money I might go out and buy a grinder or a torch to get it off, but after parts and the tool deposits I'm flat broke. Really not having a good week.

1995 Grand Marquis GS

I'll make it fit.
                              I own hammers.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                                "serious rust"?? I guess it's been awhile since you've been up in Canada, eh? It could definitely use an oil spray.

I would agree that the stabilizer bar bushings should be replaced. Here's what happens when you let them get too far:

Comment

Working...
                                X