No announcement yet.

Bullet-proofing the rearend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

¿ Paint it ? what's that means, you want to paint the differential? Which color?

ATT, SNIPER 308.MANG FROM THE DARK SIDE
    MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

I want to paint the rearend "Black". Coat it in POR-15 or something.

'90 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
      Baseline 5.0L numbers totally stock, 123 rwhp, 239 rwtq
      5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

¿ POR 15 ? What is that?

ATT, SNIPER 308.MANG FROM THE DARK SIDE
        MERC75-INTERCEPTOR, BORN IN 2003,DIED IN SEP/21/2010 AT 9:55AM AT THE SORT AHE OF 8 YEARS PROTECTING HIS OWNER TO DIE

Comment

It's prevents rust from spreading. www.por15.com Check it out, it's good stuff.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Our rear axle housing can not support 31 splines. Notice that in the pic of his 28 spline axles, the axle gets smaller at the spline part. That way the end bearings are the same on the 28 and 31 spline. But on our cars, the axle is the same small size all the way to the end. You do not have to up grade to 31 spline to get a stronger rear. All you need is some nice aftermarket 28 spline axles. Stock alxes doen't use the best metal. So getting upgraded 28 spline axles would be just as good if not better than going to stock 31 spline axles.

Comment

Are you sure? I remember reading Town Car Limos use 31-spline axles in their 8.8" rearends. 5.0L Mustang guys use 31-spline axles in their 8.8" rearends for dragstrip duty.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Yes, and requires a 31 spline axle housing. The axles in a Limo I have not factual info on that. But I would assume that it was a complete 31 spline axle housing. I got the chance to do a comparison of 2005 Mustang 31 spline axles next to my factory 28 splines. And aside from the length difference, the bearing end was larger than the 28s, so it would require a larger bearing housing than an old school 28.
                Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-23-2006, 08:16 PM.

Comment

I still think you are incorrect. My buddy removed his 28-spline 8.8" Ford rearend from his 5.0L Mustang. Sent it to a shop and they welded the tubes to the pumpkin, added 31-spline C-clip eliminator axles with four 5/8" wheel studs each, a Moser spool, 4.88 gears and an axle girdle.

I'm send my 8.8" rearend to this shop when I'm ready.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Go ahead, I hope yours works. But I am not guessing, or even going by a book. The 31 spline did not fit into my case. It would require a custom extra low profile axle bearing to work in my housing.

Comment

SPOOL
                      Southern Fried Florida Cracker
                      Not Your Average 450 Horsepower Grandma Car.
                      2002, 2003, & 2006 Team Moroso Member

Comment

TheBigBlueTank, what kind of rearend are you running? 31-spline axles fit in all 8.8" Ford rearends, correct?

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

8.8 rear w/ Moser 33 spline, spool, & rear-end girdle
                          I dont see why they wouldnt fit.
                          I had to have the stock housings cut of & had welded on 9" axle housings on the ends of the tubes b/c the regular c-clip eliminators would not work with my rear end for some reason.
                          My rear-end is a mix of 8.8 & 9" parts all cut & welded to work together.
                          Last edited by TheBigBlueTank; 05-06-2006, 12:49 AM.
                          Southern Fried Florida Cracker
                          Not Your Average 450 Horsepower Grandma Car.
                          2002, 2003, & 2006 Team Moroso Member

Comment

For the non streetable LOL.

Comment

TheBigBlueTank has 33-spline axles, Blaze86Vic. I don't see why we can't do the same to our 8.8" rears for 31-spline axles.

5.4L swap coming soon.

Comment

Listen GUY, you wanna get them go get them. He has 9" axle tubes! If they fit go ahead, but I told you my experience, they did not fit my axle tubes. Don't believe me then fine, I don't trust a lot of what I read on the web, but don't come back at me like a 5th grader "He's got em". try em, I hope they work, I really do. But I am 100% positive, that I can't put a 33 spline axle in mine. Maybe all it nees are thinner style bearings, maybe these are pretty common, I don't know. But they didn't fit mine the way it already is.
                                Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 05-08-2006, 08:02 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X