No announcement yet.

A/C is fast cycling but still cools only while driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thx guys. I am gonna take it to an old friend that's a former ASE Master Tech that I just reconnected with and have him check it out. He said he needs to check out the high side as well as the low side and will go from there. I'll keep you guys posted.
    '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
    '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Sorry I can't help you with A/C. I removed mine.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

A/c is for pussies (and the elderly, so they don't die).
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
          Then call me a pussy. I love me some A/C.
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Indeed. And mine is currently broken. I'm not happy about this.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That sucks. The air on my S10 is shot, but I hardly drive it (and certainly won't on a super hot day ).
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Visit Houston in August and sit in rush hour traffic for an hour and THEN tell me A/C is for pussies. That's 130-150ºF on those roads.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

A/c is for pussies.
                  100+ degree air getting blasted at you is not comfortable at all. So you people who roll down their windows can shove it. I don't feel like dying of heat stroke myself so my a/c is on. :p

Comment

Look, A/C is a luxury. Until global warming causes it to get so hot that many areas of the world ARE unlivable, that you WILL die no matter where you are in that region from the heat (no matter how much water you drink, etc), it's a luxury.

What did people do before a/c? How did they survive? Probably 90% of your life is being uncomfortable. I don't have A/C in my house. Not even putting the window units in this year.

Having A/C probably contributes to a lot of dehydration and heat stroke, etc. Because you're comfortable, you don't drink enough to be fully hydrated, THEN you go out somewhere, and maybe your car or the outdoors or that place isn't air conditioned. And maybe you're sweating, or you're outdoors and doing physical activity. Well, when you sweat, you need to drink at least a litre of water an hour to rehydrate. You need salts too, eventually, which is what those fancy electrolytes are in gatorade.

But you didn't bring water, or start off fully hydrated, you're very quickly dehydrated, because your body can't cool itself and you get heat stroke and/or die. Because you trained your body to expect "comfortable" temperatures everywhere you go. I think repeated cycling between indoors (A/C) & extreme heat can screw up your body too, and cause you to pass out or throw up or something.
                    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I work all day in a warehouse with no AC, just fans pulling heated air off the back paved lot. If the system breaks down, I work in what amounts to an oven with 6 foot thick concrete walls that really holds the heat. If its 90 outside in the warehouse, its a solid 120 in the cell. I don't wish to be uneccesarily uncomfortable in my time off. I work so I have money to afford things like AC repairs and to pay the electric bill. I use the AC at home a lot less than my parents (specifically my stepdad) but when its so hot your balls sweat without even moving, the AC goes on. Either that or I have to sit around naked all day with a fan blowing on my junk and that tends to be offputting to the other people in the house.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I work all day in a warehouse with no AC, just fans pulling heated air off the back paved lot. If the system breaks down, I work in what amounts to an oven with 6 foot thick concrete walls that really holds the heat. If its 90 outside in the warehouse, its a solid 120 in the cell. I don't wish to be uneccesarily uncomfortable in my time off. I work so I have money to afford things like AC repairs and to pay the electric bill. I use the AC at home a lot less than my parents (specifically my stepdad) but when its so hot your balls sweat without even moving, the AC goes on. Either that or I have to sit around naked all day with a fan blowing on my junk and that tends to be offputting to the other people in the house.
                        Another reason I like my A/C functional.
                        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

​

Comment

What did people do before a/c? How did they survive? Probably 90% of your life is being uncomfortable. I don't have A/C in my house. Not even putting the window units in this year.
                          They were uncomfortable, irritable, and smelled like sweaty ballsack 24/7. We also used to enslave other races to do our dirty work and look at the fallout from that one.

Having A/C probably contributes to a lot of dehydration and heat stroke, etc. Because you're comfortable, you don't drink enough to be fully hydrated, THEN you go out somewhere, and maybe your car or the outdoors or that place isn't air conditioned. And maybe you're sweating, or you're outdoors and doing physical activity. Well, when you sweat, you need to drink at least a litre of water an hour to rehydrate. You need salts too, eventually, which is what those fancy electrolytes are in gatorade.

But you didn't bring water, or start off fully hydrated, you're very quickly dehydrated, because your body can't cool itself and you get heat stroke and/or die. Because you trained your body to expect "comfortable" temperatures everywhere you go. I think repeated cycling between indoors (A/C) & extreme heat can screw up your body too, and cause you to pass out or throw up or something.
                          Fuck 'em, it's called survival of the fittest. You have fun smelling like ass all day long. I bet your seats smell like sweaty ass crack too.
                          1992 CVLX. 5.0 HO/GT40P/T5/3.73/trak-lok with bolt ons. 02 front CVPI setup, rear HPP setup, CVPI shocks around, F250 radiator, e-fans, and the power of 3G. 15.92@89mph, 2.4 60', 4700' elevation (5500' DA) with 3.08 open rear and the old oil chugging 289. RIP.

Comment

Update...

I still have not had this problem addressed with a mechanic but I did notice over the past few weeks that the fast cycling seems to be tied to the idling problem I am having right at start up. Here is what happens..

Scenario 1: I start the car, it revs up for a sec and settles down and holds a steady idle just like it should... a/c runs fine, gets cold, no fast cycling. Great!

Scenario 2: I start the car, it seems like it is struggling, I tap the gas a few times within 2 sec of starting and it 'catches', revs up and settles down just like above and runs the a/c proper. Great!

Scenario 3: I start the car but it struggles and unless I rev it up, the car dies (and will so repeatedly until I drive a few blocks), even if I rev it up several times it still struggles to hold a proper idle... a/c fast cycles and continues to do this even after I drive 5-10 min down the road and the car is now holding idle.

Some have mentioned the IAC may need changing. I did take it off and cleaned it out with MAF cleaner and it 'seemed' to help but not for long.
                            '01 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 4.6L
                            '01 Ford Mustang GT 4.6L

Comment

Working...
                            X