No announcement yet.

Disabling Traction Control?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eh, ABS has its purpose. I just prefer a driver's car - no assists, just man and machine.
    sigpic 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Yozora" - 240,000+ miles, H-pipe with 14 inch glasspack mufflers (no tailpipes), 3.08 one wheel blender.

Comment

it doesn't work right on most of my stuff. It broke on the truck years ago and it produces no codes. It just doesn't work either. The ABS on the Mark VII works, every time I stop. The Mark's problems are probably that one out of adjustment wheel sensor. The truck also probably a sensor, but I have no idea which and I'm not interested in throwing parts at it. The Towncar doesn't have it. it also just stops. It goes too, limited slip rears rock the pants off traction control IMO.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I like a drivers car for weekend hooning... for the daily grind, I prefer to have the safety features because I tend to overdrive my brakes a little and ABS would be nice. Thankfully I've gotten "old" and started to leave plenty of room in front of me for braking as these boats don't stop real fast with locked wheels and squealing tires.

+1 on limited slip diff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I can only afford one car at a time, so I do want to make this car a decent daily driver while having it setup to be fun to drive. If I can't stop in time without ABS, then I'll just have to go through whatever's in my way.
          sigpic 1994 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "Yozora" - 240,000+ miles, H-pipe with 14 inch glasspack mufflers (no tailpipes), 3.08 one wheel blender.

Comment

Pull the fuse. Traction control on aeros is worthless. The abs is fine, but the traction control does more harm than good.
            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
              Pull the fuse. Traction control on aeros is worthless. The abs is fine, but the traction control does more harm than good.
              All it did for me was burn up my rear brake pads.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                I like a drivers car for weekend hooning... for the daily grind, I prefer to have the safety features because I tend to overdrive my brakes a little and ABS would be nice.
                so you probably replace brakes from time to time? I'm actually still on the original brake pads from the brake conversion 7 years and roughly 60k ago. They're at 50% pad too.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

How does the traction control work on Aeros? I think my 96' had it but I never actually felt it kick in. The ABS kicked in plenty of times when stopping in the rain and such. I figured traction control would kick in at the strip but I never felt it.

Comment

A write up how to disable it btw.
                    On 1992-1997 Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis and Lincoln Town Cars vehicles ordered with ABS include a standard Electronic Traction Assist (ETA) function (excluding Town Car, ETA optional on top of ABS) to aide low speed driving on slippery surfaces. This feature is controlled completely by …

Comment

92-94 use a standalone system that sucks. My old 92 had it, luckily my new one doesn't.
                      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Bean View Post
                        How does the traction control work on Aeros? I think my 96' had it but I never actually felt it kick in. The ABS kicked in plenty of times when stopping in the rain and such. I figured traction control would kick in at the strip but I never felt it.
                        clamps the brake on the side spinning basically. It uses the ABS sensors to determine wheel speed and if one is too fast compared to the other, it engages. It may also involve a too fast for too long logic, not sure.

Comment

Did they change up the traction control system by 2000? The majority here seem to hate the TC but I love it. The traction control system has gotten me up a snowy/icy hill when I was at a dead stop halfway up.

Comment

I hate traction control but love ABS. Wheels skidding during braking means greater stopping distance and possible flat spots on your tires. My first experience with traction control involved an '02 LS. Snowy dealership back lot and I couldn't figure out why the engine kept bogging while trying to just back out of the spot. Saw the button, disabled it and on I went. My truck had that as standard but I opted for the locking diff. If I forgot to turn it off I'd begin to sense & react to a slide just a tad quicker than the system and that always drove me nuts as most times it was overkill and would result in near sideways whiplash. Traction control to me is my right foot & left arm
                            Sometimes I see people get stuck and they just nail it The rooster tail & caked up wheel well look great but again, the more deviation the wheel speed has with car speed, the less available traction you'll have, not to mention ice will potentially form under your wheels from all that friction gone stale & you're digging a hole. Some suggest using the e brake on an open diff to "cheat" it into thinking it's a limited slip but I've tried that and didn't think much of it, the one wheel always spins. Tried & true for me has been light throttle & second gear if possible. With an auto that isn't always possible. Get it rockin' and keep wheel spin down by careful application of your right foot, a little scratching doesn't hurt

I'd love to test my TC out in the snow but for southeastern MI there hasn't been any! If only this year was like the last..
                            Last edited by DerekTheGreat; 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                            X