Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Underhood fuse box inside pics. Anyone got 'em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underhood fuse box inside pics. Anyone got 'em?

Throwing around the idea of doing a headlight relay mod on the '92 MGM. Being a base model, the beater didn't come with air suspension, tow package, etc. So, I thought I might be able to use the spots normally used by all the goodies that mine didn't come with, for relays and fuses for the headlights.

Before I even solder a single wire, I thought it might be a good idea to know kinda what to expect if I open up that fuse box. Will new connectors for fuses and relays just snap in to place? Is there a bus bar in there to get power from? Anyone else gone this route for adding accessories?

Lots of room in there for gadgets:
    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

There are bus bars for power to the big and small fuses. You will need to go to a yard and open one up and harvest the connectors for the other sides of the fuses as well as for the relay terminals.

I put one into my Vic to replace all of the fusible links. I am quite familiar with the inside of them. Be careful taking yours apart. THEY ARE FRAGILE. Once you harvest the terminals you need (take more then you think you need because some of them are different...the locking tabs are in different spaces for relay ones and fuse ones) make sure you place them where you want them as the plastic tabs that hold them into place are very very very fragile. You break the tab and you are SOL in that spot.
    Last edited by 87gtVIC; 03-15-2015, 02:24 PM.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The yard box that was sun baked was fragile. The one in my vic, not so much. YMMV

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info. I know of a couple Aero's that have had their hoods shut for over a year. I shut them to keep the plastics nice, as I'm pretty sure I'm the only one that visits the Panthers in that yard. From looking at it, the top part of the fuse box is just held on with the clips, much like the cover is, yes?
        1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Yup

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

yes, yes, and yes

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Perfect! Exactly the thing I was looking for. That's not as complicated inside as I was thinking.

Comment

Working...
              X