Marauder cluster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Marauder cluster

Alright, yes I have searched high and low and I found numerous writeups including a pdf of what wires I need to swap over. But they seem to be for 03+ cars, my car is a '97. is there anything different I need to do? I know about using the CVPI speedo guts. But anything else to get it to work in my car?

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
    1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

If you don't have manual for both your car and the Marauder take a look at the "Panther Instrument Cluster Schematics and Pinouts" dRock96Marquis has posted on his supermotors.net account. http://www.supermotors.net/registry/7603/52332-4

What I like to do with a conversion like this is break out a spreadsheet and make a tab for each connector for each car or at least a separate tab for each car listing all involved connectors.
    Each row contains the pin number along with wire colors in the next two columns (I like to fill in the cell with the appropriate color). Each row also contains information of what the pin controls, what the voltage should be, and the last column lists which pin I would map to on the other car. After the last cell in my table I'll place any comments if there are any special notes of things that need to be done besides just swapping the pins. For example if the Oil Pressure Sending unit needs to be swapped to work with the new cluster I'll make note of it to the right of my table.

When I did my conversion to the 2000 P71 Cluster in my 91 MGM, I used the info posted by dRock96Marquis, the manuals for my car, and Excel to figure out how to remap all the pins. Before I even touched the car I had it all mapped out and ready to install.

I believe the systems on the Marauder and 97 CV will be similar enough that your swap should be just a matter of swapping and adding pins for the most part. I'm fairly certain you would have to add wiring for the tach but you probably already know that. As far as specifics of the Marauder cluster swap into the 97 CV, I'm not familiar with either car so I wouldn't be able to point anything specific out that you might need to do without studying the schematics and pinouts for both cars.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I believe you need some sort of magic box to run a tach on these motors, unless I'm thinking of what is needed for EDIS. I want to say the Marauder gets it's tach feed from a dedicated pin on the PCM, one that supposedly doesn't exist on non-Marauder brains.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That sounds about right for the tach.

Rereading the original post, I would not use the 03+ guides for swapping the MM cluster into the 97 CV. At a quick glance there does appear to be enough differences between 95-97 and 03+ that could cause the 03+ guide to lead you down the wrong path. I would read through the 03+ guides to pick out any information such as how the tach can be wired up since that might be the same as your 97 (I don't know enough about modular motors to say for sure though).
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Aeros have tach pin on the PCM.

Comment

96-98 have tach pin on ECM. 92-95 have tach pin on EDIS module.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I found a pdf that K9vic made, but he doesn't mention the years its for so I have no fucking clue if the pins are correct.

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
              1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

do you need the pins for the marauder or your 97? I have the EVTM for 2003 (including the Marauder).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I have the pinouts printed out for the 96-97 and Marauder. Matched them up as best I could but it doesn't work out 100%. Then theres 5 ground wires and I dont know if they can just go to any ground pin or have to be specific. the pdf I found is useless barely matches what I came up with. Never been so confused about automotive wiring before. lol

Comment

Originally posted by 89TownCar View Post
                    I have the pinouts printed out for the 96-97 and Marauder. Matched them up as best I could but it doesn't work out 100%. Then theres 5 ground wires and I dont know if they can just go to any ground pin or have to be specific. the pdf I found is useless barely matches what I came up with. Never been so confused about automotive wiring before. lol
                    If any of them are labeled "power ground", simply attach them to your existing ground wires. Cluster swaps are interesting because sometimes the pinouts aren't always correct. 1992 instrument cluster pinouts are unique to themselves as I found when I did my swap. A little patience and some troubleshooting will get you where you need to be.

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Most grounds should work fine going to most any ground. The only thing that would possibly muck things up would be analog gauge grounds, but it would only cause about a needle width of wrong way deflection so it's usually not an issue. The newer canbus clusters are very intolerant of wiring shenanigans due to the communications bus needing to be clean, but even those should have all grounds to ground. Other than the grounds, what issues are you running into (what's not working?)

Comment

Working...
                      X