2000 Town Car U1147

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 Town Car U1147

A buddy of mine has a 2000 Town Car that cranks but won't start. It's throwing a U1147 code, he said at first it would start and run for a few seconds then die, he did say that the anti theft light is flashing. This all started out of the blue one day last week the car was running great and then the next day this issue just popped up. I think he's mistaken but he says neither of the two keys that came with the car are chipped keys, he says they're just plain metal keys. I've never seen it before but I feel like they could still be chipped.

I haven't had much luck on google with this problem, lots of similar issues with no fixes. Thanks in advance for any help.
    2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Appears something with the CAN system needs to be reprogrammed. Could be an issue with the keys?

The Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) sets when the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) detects an additional Controller Area Network (CAN) Interior Bus module and requires reprogramming.​
    What I Own: 1993 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
    What I Help Maintain: 1996 CV / 1988 CV / 1988 Tempo

Comment

It sounds like a crank no start condition you/he is dealing with. U1147 looks like communication between PCM and PATS. If that's the case, if you can get your hands in a P71 PCM you can hook it up and there is no PATS with a P71 PCM. If it still doesn't start with a P71 PCM then it's not a security issue.

If you have a compatible tool and are familiar with FORScan there is a way to see if PATS is reporting start attempt with an unprogrammed/unrecognized key. Since it sounds like he didn't get a new/replacement key it's more likely that something in the system has gone dead and not acknowledging/reading the chip in the key, or the chip in the key went dead. Possibly the ring around the ignition lock cylinder that "reads" the key chip could be the culprit. I'm not familiar enough with the system to troubleshoot it much more beyond that. I'd have to crack out the service manual/EVTM and dig around with FORScan to get more detailed info for you.

I happen to have a non-chipped key for my car that I got before I learned it needed to be a chipped key. I also happen to have an ARA3 PCM and have verified I can start with that and the non-chipped key.

If it wasn't for the U1147 I would look into a bad crank sensor or cam sensor which are apparently common causes for crank no start. Or in my case my tach adapter inline on the 12V feed for the coils was partly to blame and also replacing the TPS seemed to help mine.​
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I’ll get back to him with this information and see what he wants to do. He thinks he found a guy who might be able to diagnose it, but I haven’t heard anything yet.
        2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Working...
        X