Converting to Carb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Usually I would trigger it to key on.

The EFI seems to be running better. I dunno...
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
      Usually I would trigger it to key on.

The EFI seems to be running better. I dunno...
      I think the Bastard ECM knows you have plans to kill it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
        I should have been more clear, I apologize.

Use the springs only from the 929G kit.
        Okay, that makes sense. Still fairly cost-effective, really.

Do you have a reference offhand for how quick which springs allow how much advance, and how which springs compare to the only pair contained in the other kit?
        2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Okay, that makes sense. Still fairly cost-effective, really.

Do you have a reference offhand for how quick which springs allow how much advance, and how which springs compare to the only pair contained in the other kit?
          If I'm looking at both kits correctly, the springs contained in the 925D kit are comparable to the gold or silver springs in the 929G kit...which are the firmest springs, and allow the slowest advance. Now that I have confirmed that the 925D only has one set of springs....I definitely say go with the black springs included in the 929G kit, as they are the lightest, and allow the earliest mechanical advance.

Comment

This will also mean fairly early engagement of fuel enrichment circuits, correct?

Comment

This will also mean fairly early engagement of fuel enrichment circuits, correct?
              Has nothin' to do wit' da' enrichment circuits, lol. Distributor-advance only.

Comment

Okay, so I could have phrased that more precisely, though I suspect you're just being funny for some reason. Will the distributor spark advance occuring at lower RPM cause popping that will then have to be cured by dialing in quicker fuel enrichment as a separate operation from changing the centrifugal advance springs? I ask, because the only time I've heard audible pinging from a V8 was after installing my 925D springs on the ol' 10:1 351W. (My 306 has popped but has never pinged.)

Comment

Okay, so I could have phrased that more precisely, though I suspect you're just being funny for some reason. Will the distributor spark advance occuring at lower RPM cause popping that will then have to be cured by dialing in quicker fuel enrichment as a separate operation from changing the centrifugal advance springs? I ask, because the only time I've heard audible pinging from a V8 was after installing my 925D springs on the ol' 10:1 351W. (My 306 has popped but has never pinged.)
                  As I've watched your progress with the 351W....I'm convinced that your 351W is going to have to come apart, and you're going to need to switch to a lower-compression set of pistons. You were above the pump-gas pinging threshold as it is with that engine....

But to answer your question; yes, the springs are helping to cause the pinging at lower rpm. You have too much compression for the application, and if anything, you need to back timing off, both initially, and the mechanical advance (pull the springs out). I don't think you're going to ever fix this problem short of mixing some race gas with the pump gas you already run. I would say switch to aluminum heads, but considering that the pistons are cast, I'd simply switch to a lower-compression set of pistons, and use a set of GT40P heads on it (nothing over 9.5:1), that way it stays a torque monster....and with the P heads, you don't need a lot of ignition advance anyway.

Comment

Well car is still being a fucker, even after I reinstalled and got my evap system working (almost thought the car was vapor licking).

Yep, carb time
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Let me know when you have EFI parts for sale
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                        Let me know when you have EFI parts for sale

+2

I may be interested in some of the parts. Mine runs excellent.

Comment

I'm going to have some stuff up for sale, also....lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Pirate View Post
                            As I've watched your progress with the 351W....I'm convinced that your 351W is going to have to come apart, and you're going to need to switch to a lower-compression set of pistons. You were above the pump-gas pinging threshold as it is with that engine....
                            Quite, quite. That engine will most likely be getting new bearings at the very least, just because it's easy to do with the engine out and no rush to get it back in, plus the fact that assembling Windsor V8s is just plain fun - and a set of more suitable pistons will be somewhat cheap compared to the potential cost of better heads and cheaper still compared to the cost and hassle of having something break!

So I shouldn't anticipate any particular issues with the 306 in there now (around 9:1 with SpeedPro hypereutectic pistons) other than the apparent-fuel-starvation issue we've already discussed and which I have a plan to remedy?

Comment

So I shouldn't anticipate any particular issues with the 306 in there now (around 9:1 with SpeedPro hypereutectic pistons) other than the apparent-fuel-starvation issue we've already discussed and which I have a plan to remedy?
                              No.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT View Post
                                Yep, carb time
                                Yes come to the dark side.

1984 CV tudor 351W, 4bbl, 5-speed best time in the 1/8 8.39 at 80 with 1.80 60ft time.
                                2006 P71, 1988 Bronco II, 1986 Baby LTD(5.0 & T5 swap in progress), 1976 16' Hobie Cat, 12' AquaFinn
                                http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2651997 UPDATED 20100826
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X