Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deleting the cats

question about deleting the cats-

what has to be done about the air system and smog pump?

You'll usually just eliminate the air injection system as well. Remove the belt from the pump, plug any vacuum lines, and yank the air injection manifold and plug the holes in the back of the heads with short 5/8-11 bolts and you'll be fine.

Or - goofy as it sounds - if you're planning on getting a Mustang offroad H pipe, those usually come with an air injection hookup, so you could go ahead and keep that system intact if you choose. :p I have my Mustang crossovers capped off with a piece of hose and a closed-end lugnut, though it'd be better to cut it off and weld a patch over the hole.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 09-18-2009, 03:56 PM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

and make sure the inspection station isn't going to poo-poo the idea the next time you go for a safety inspection.

Just because we don't get sniffed here in missouri anymore, doesn't mean I can take all my stuff off. My inspector guy said he doesn't care if it doesn't work or is hollowed out, it just has to visually look like it is still there.

and here is a little excerpt from the new york codes...
      Each emissions inspection confirms the presence and connection of the vehicle's required emission control devices. This includes making sure that the vehicle's gas cap is present and in good condition, and fits properly fit.

The emission control devices are examined if the vehicle was originally manufactured with them. The vehicle model years affected are indicated.

•Catalytic converter (CAT) - all model years
      •Exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) - all model years
      •Positive crankcase ventilation system (PCV) - all model years
      •Air injection system (AIS) - 1984 and newer
      •Evaporative emission control (EVAP) - 1984 and newer
      •Fuel inlet restrictor (FIR) - 1984 and newer
      •Thermostatic air cleaner (TAC) - 1984 and newer
      1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
      1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
      1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

I wont get screwed on inspection- Friends work at some inspection stations. theyll make sure i wont die, but dont sweat the small stuff.

Comment

I assume a Thermostatic Air Cleaner refers to one with a heat stove provision, but what the heck is a Fuel Inlet Restrictor?

I should make a catalogue, just for my own curiosity, of all the states that require safety inspections. It amazes me how many there are.

Comment

I believe the fuel inlet restrictor was the thing in the end of the gas filler neck that made it impossible to put a leaded gas nozzle in it. Kind of a vestigial automotive organ now that no one has sold leaded gas for the better portion of 40 years, but may God have mercy on your soul if you remove it...

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Leaded gas existed a lot more recently than 40 years ago. I remember seeing the restrictor ripped out of our 77 Marquis when I was a kid so it could run leaded gas. Can't be more than 20 years ago this was.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Why would you want to run leaded gas in a '77?

Comment

Because it was cheaper at the time, and when the converters are hollow, it doesn't matter.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Enigma - those rules sounds just like VA - the stuff just has to "be" there, and be hooked up.
                    They only sniff in big cities here (up to the locality, as part of local taxing/vehicle code ) so Im sure there are a lot of hollow cats running around here.
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Wow I'm glad ND doesnt have yearly inspections... I would be S.O.L.
                      sigpic

Comment

Smog checks are pretty much BS if you ask me, but I do think safety inspections ought to be required. Mostly I want to know the other people on the road aren't driving with no brakes and 10 year old bald tires. I could care less if they're killing birds, I just don't want to die because someone was too cheap to replace their tires.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                          Enigma - those rules sounds just like VA - the stuff just has to "be" there, and be hooked up.
                          They only sniff in big cities here (up to the locality, as part of local taxing/vehicle code ) so Im sure there are a lot of hollow cats running around here.
                          That's how it is around here. I wish I could get rid of my air pump just because it takes up so much space but nope, it has to be there.
                          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

i agree, im glad that there is yearly safety....

but then theres the idiots who 'know' people and pass unsafe cars! at least I make sure mine are safe before i kill birds

Comment

leaded gas was around till the late 80's.......my dads 78 f150 , my 68 torino, and my 73 cougar took leaded gas

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                              X