cat-back exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cat-back exhaust question

has anyone ever used the H-pipe from rock auto (you can get at other places too), bolted it onto the cats, slapped on some flowmasters, and ran the tail pipes? I know its still 2 inches, but money is a problem. Im basically trying to get a set-up I can enjoy for now, and then really get the upgrade when I have the time and money.
    Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
    New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Most shops carry x-pipes, just have them bend you new pipes and install it, you can pick whatever size you want usually, and run them out the side right before the tires. It should only cost around $200, and it'll sound awesome. An added benefit is when you want to do the rest of the exhaust, they only have to chop it behind your muffling devices (if you choose to use any) and run the tails. You just have to find a shop that doesn't mind doing slightly illegal mods.

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

I'm using a bolt up H-pipe but not sure of the brand (matco?), has been on the car for almost 7yrs now. Using glasspacks and using 2 1/4in tailpipes. The muffler shop that installed the H-pipe. Has a decent sound to it and the glasspacks dont have that blatty sound to them. Has a nice low rumble at idle, and at cruising speeds. Glasspacks are inexpensive and get louder the older they get. Not sure how the flowmasters would sound though.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
      Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
      Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
      NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

Yep, that's how I went from singles to duals on mine, except I used thrush glasspacks. I've used flowmasters twice previously, and was not happy with them either time, plus they just cost too damn much. It's still pretty quiet with the cats on there, but at least I can hear them now. All my vehicles will get thrush glasspacks till the day I die.
        1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
        1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.
        1989 F-250 4x4 5.8L: Emergency backup and work truck...

Comment

You can definitely do it, but what it costs will vary a lot... shop around.... you will be surprised at the differences. Some shops think doing anything but installing bolt-up OEM replacement stuff is 'custom' work and charge twice as much.
          Usually a dedicated exhaust shop will be cheaper, and may even be able you bend you larger diameter tail pipes for a similar price as the stock tails.
          Any performance muffler will sound good but mellow with cats and small pipes, 'turbo' mufflers may even be near quiet. Going with larger tailpipes should make either a little louder.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ok thanks for the help! I contacted the local exhaust shop that did my dad's street rods exhaust, and the can bend me an illegal set of pipes (from the exhaust manifolds) with an H pipe for $200. And thats 2.5" exhaust!!!!!! I just have to add the mufflers, which I might just go with thrush super turbos. No i just need to find a pair of headers i like
            Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
            New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

You need my old Dynomax catback system. :evil: I have an H pipe I *might* be convinced to part with as well .....

From what I've been hearing, buying a stock replacement H pipe really isn't particularly cost-effective .... you'd be way better off financially finding a used stock Mustang H pipe for very cheap and running your 2.25"-mids-into-2"-tails system from there ....

What's your current engine combo? If it's mild, you may not be particularly happy with 2.5" pipes ...
              Last edited by 1987cp; 09-25-2009, 11:58 PM.
              2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

you can get stock Maremont replacement pipes from Autozone. When you can't find Walker pipes for an application, Maremont usually has them. Those are usually the 2 manufacturers that most of the muffler shops around here use.
                H pipe - 441955 = $73
                L tail - 360465 = $35
                R tail - 360553 = $27

total $135, then just add mufflers of your choice.

This will be just like factory, and you can bolt them up in your garage/driveway. On a stock lo-po 5.0 that we run, it's plenty good.

On my tired lo-po with over 80k on the engine, I barely noticed a difference going from single to duals. The biggest difference I got is when I replaced the stock restrictive clogged up muffler with a glasspack. Huge difference there.

then down the road you can get the shorty headers, mustang offroad H or X pipe, mufflers of choice, and impala tails when money allows.
                1987 Country Squire LX Wagon 5.0L: Daily Ride......1964 Lincoln Continental 430ci: Toy #1.
                1984 F-250 4x4 4.9L: Toy #2.............................1968 Volkswagen Bug 2.0L: Toy #3.

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                  you can get stock Maremont replacement pipes from Autozone. When you can't find Walker pipes for an application, Maremont usually has them. Those are usually the 2 manufacturers that most of the muffler shops around here use.
                  H pipe - 441955 = $73
                  L tail - 360465 = $35
                  R tail - 360553 = $27

total $135, then just add mufflers of your choice.

This will be just like factory, and you can bolt them up in your garage/driveway. On a stock lo-po 5.0 that we run, it's plenty good.

On my tired lo-po with over 80k on the engine, I barely noticed a difference going from single to duals. The biggest difference I got is when I replaced the stock restrictive clogged up muffler with a glasspack. Huge difference there.

then down the road you can get the shorty headers, mustang offroad H or X pipe, mufflers of choice, and impala tails when money allows.
                  this is exactly what I need! How did it sound with the glasspack? They are a lot cheaper than some other mufflers. Yes, Im running as of now a stock lopo engine, Im just trying to get the exhaust to have more bite to go along with the wheels coming next spring.

Comment

If its going to be a stock motor and pipe diameters, i would go with the glasspacks. The shorter the glasspack the louder it will be, but it will get even louder after break-in and with age. When i nail the throttle on mine it turns heads!

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                    Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                    Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                    NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

as long as you have functioning cats, it is not going to be really loud, or turn heads. But you will definately be able to hear them. And you won't have to worry about the cops pulling you over for being too loud.

Comment

There is a local garage that will bend a complete 2.25" true dual cat back, with 2 Flowmaster 40s for $325.

I'd go for that. My car was $400, and the work was shit. From what I have seen, though, the $325 cat backs are pretty nice, bending and weld wise.
                        **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                        **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                        **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                        **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Originally posted by Enigma View Post
                          as long as you have functioning cats, it is not going to be really loud, or turn heads.
                          Not to contradict you, but my TC has functioning cats, is VERY loud, and turns heads everywhere I go.

"No other man-made device since the shields and lances of the ancient knights fulfills a man's ego like an automobile." -Sir William

2011 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited- Black on black, ADTR sway bars, 19" Mustang GT rims, Heinous rear control arms, dual exhaust with Flowmaster 10 series mufflers. MHS Stage 2 heads/cams, 80mm MAF, 75mm BBK throttle body, Accufab plenum, Stainless Works long tube headers, Ford Racing 24# injectors. ADTR T56 swap with Hurst shifter. 264HP/298TQ at the rear wheels.

Comment

Quite probable, as my stock lowpo was intolerable when the original Y pipe rotted out and I had to drive home (and around town for a week or so) with open cats. Remind us what the rest of your system is composed of?
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

My burnout car ('88 5.0 P72) was pretty quiet with nothing but converters. Some noise when you revved it. Hell, the car is quiet at idle with nothing aft of the manifolds. Pretty loud revved up, though.

My 4.7 Dodge is louder through the cats then the entirely open LO 5.0, though.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X