No overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No overdrive

So my new 88 P72 has no overdrive... it feels like it shifts into OD but just revs up when you try to accelerate in OD.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this with any level of transmission service or additives, or is the OD band toast? It seems to up/down shift into the other gears fine... could it continue on for sometime like this or is the rest of the transmission liable to go kaput in the near future?

I'm not putting any big money into this thing...
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Usually the OD Band is toast....

Comment

Keep it in 3, and drive it. OD band is shot. Just tell people its a C4 and nobody will know the difference. Pretty much the same gearing as the C4.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Don't take it anywhere you need better than 60mph
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
          Don't take it anywhere you need better than 60mph
          or mileage will suffer... other than that it will be just fine
          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

Yeah, mileage is the only real issue. I drove a full tank in D one time on the interstate at 70 and didn't even realize it till I looked down and was almost out of gas.....damn those quiet Lincolns!

Comment

Dear Panthers,
              A couple years ago, the njight before we were to leave (Three dogs/two humans/ full gear) for the National Sheepdog Finals in Sturgis, ND, the OD blew up. Drove 23 hours to ND anyway and 23 hours back w/o problems. Gas mileage dropped from 21 to 17.5. Donald McCaig
              1989 CP Scottified steering, suspension and big brakes, 16 in wheels, A-pillar oil & temp gauges, remote entry, backup sensor, tailgate wiper, custom console & trash, tranny & ps coolers, 3 cell radiator, electric fan, dual exhausts, battery isolator, hellas headlights,deer pusher,wads of dog hair.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
                So my new 88 P72 has no overdrive... it feels like it shifts into OD but just revs up when you try to accelerate in OD.

Has anyone had any luck fixing this with any level of transmission service or additives, or is the OD band toast? ..
                I drove my Crown Vic for over 3 years like that.

Comment

Working...
                X