No announcement yet.

Most quiet and cheap muffler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that these are pretty quiet compared to glass packs, flowmasters, and the obvious no muffler, however they were not cheap. Are you looking for like stock quiet?
    "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
    1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
      Hard to say about that. He and I drove all over downtown one night, and all I could hear was his car over the POS. Even with the windows up. This was before the POS was quieted/detuned. It was pretty damn loud, mang.
      Interesting. Of course, your old Super Rumblemaster exhaust setup was actually pretty quiet from inside the car as loud exhaust goes, even though in that configuration it was also the only thing I've driven that would turn heads instantly when I started it in a parking lot. Which is odd, considering that the glasspack setup I had on the wagon for a while was loud enough (even with the stock lowpo) to set off car alarms as I drove past. Even the recent full-2.5" Super Turbo system that was driving me 1000% inane every single time I had to drive the thing in traffic, never got a single look in a parking lot, at least that I was aware of.

Either way, I definitely agree that there's a big difference in a 2" single exhaust with no muffler versus a dual exhaust with no muffler.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post

I think that these are pretty quiet compared to glass packs, flowmasters, and the obvious no muffler, however they were not cheap. Are you looking for like stock quiet?
        Now that sounds nearley stock to me. Kinda what I'd like.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
          Now that sounds nearley stock to me. Kinda what I'd like.
          The video did it no justice, they have a nice howl though. They are starting to attract attention now too. But they are by no means loud that isnt what I wanted.
          "Shakedown"- 1991 Grand Marquis GS Dual exhaust, Magnaflow xl turbos, Rear anti sway bar, Outlaw 1 wheels, 43k miles
          1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            ...even though in that configuration it was also the only thing I've driven that would turn heads instantly when I started it in a parking lot. Which is odd, considering that the glasspack setup I had on the wagon for a while was loud enough (even with the stock lowpo) to set off car alarms as I drove past.
            When people hear loud obnoxious exhaust, they think its a pos truck. When people hear loud exhaust that sounds good, they think its something worth looking at, and heads turn. heads turn when I start the 85...
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 91grandmarquis View Post

Those are nice and quiet. What P/N?

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              When people hear loud obnoxious exhaust, they think its a pos truck. When people hear loud exhaust that sounds good, they think its something worth looking at, and heads turn. heads turn when I start the 85...
              And I would imagine people also had a confused look on their face, too? Well, that's what I always saw at least.

Comment

I like really quiet exhaust, nearly at stock levels if I can get it. My ears start to ring and whine if I ride in stuff with massive interior resonance, and they do so for hours and hours afterward.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by torquelover View Post
                  Those are nice and quiet. What P/N?

Out of my lack of understanding for the term P/N I will say that they are Magnaflow XL turbos, they make them in stainless and alumanized, Mine are Stainless. About 100-120 a piece.

Also as for interior resonance there is barely any although you can hear it when you get up in RPMs its just a rumble and with the music at normal volume its near impossible (With my bazooka tube cranked it is impossible) However I have gotten complements on how nice they sound from various people at stores or gas stations. They sound really nice at WOT or when you get into it to accelerate, but again not much can be heard inside.
                  1985 GMC 1500

Comment

PN or P/N = part number

Comment

Thats what I thought the slash threw me for a whirl, oh yeah they are 60 bucks a piece 120 a set, sorry.
                      1985 GMC 1500

Comment

Wow the tailpipe is super cheap. $30! I'm going to take it to the shop and have them connect the Y and the tailpipe. It might make it a little bit quieter which would be good but if it doesnt, I might just go ahead and get a muffler.
                        88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

lol - hey, "Y" not? Can't imagine it'd cost that much to have someone toss a pipe between the Y and the tail, and it'll keep noise and fumes pretty much under control.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                            fumes pretty much under control.
                            Yeah that shit sucks.
                            88 MGM 5.0 stock

Comment

Working...
                            X