charcoal canister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

charcoal canister

Is this the kind of thing that you can pull out, clean, and reinstall, or would you need to buy a new one? I don't even really know what it is or how it operates, am just learning. If anyone can include a brief description of why one is needed, that would be awesome. Like I said, I'm just learning about this stuff, and usually from you guys

second, where the fuck is it under my hood?
    Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-05-2010, 02:13 PM.
    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

There's no need to service them, all they do is hold gasoline vapors from the tank until the ecm tells the solenoid to purge it. Its under your battery.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

thanks Pete. Reason I ask is I was reading about them getting clogged and negatively impacting the cars performance, like the breather screen would
      Last edited by 1990LTD; 02-05-2010, 02:31 PM.
      sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

i'm not sure its even possible to take ours apart. I think it may be plastic welded together, though I've never looked all that close.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

it is definitely not in the most comfortable position to look at either.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If this is what you are talking about, what I have learned is a periodic visual inspection must be done to look for cracks.

Comment

thanks Pete. Reason I ask is I was reading about them getting clogged and negatively impacting the cars performance, like the breather screen would
              The only thing that would negatively impact performance is if the tank (gas) vent plugged up, and that would be confirmed by the vehicle acting starved of fuel or even shutting itself down, cracking open the gas cap would cause a significant "woosh", not to be confused with the normal 'whoosh'. Aside from that, there would be zero impact on performance.

Alex.

Comment

thanks!
                sigpic

Comment

This is what it looks like with the caps off. Hope it helps.

Comment

Yeah, just remove, inspect, and dispose of in trash. Will they even throw a light on 5.0 cars??
                    Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Look under your battery for the location. 10 mm bolt heads

Comment

Originally posted by p71towny View Post
                        Yeah, just remove, inspect, and dispose of in trash. Will they even throw a light on 5.0 cars??
                        It won't throw a light. However, it will make it so that you smell gasoline vapors occasionally, because if you remove the canister it will overpressurize the gas tank, which will in turn vent out the gas cap instead of into the engine. I have had this happen.
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                        91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                        93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                        Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                        Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                        95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

if you remove it and don't cap the lines off, it won't pressure the tank. It will just vent fuel fumes into the engine compartment somewhere, depending on where you disconnect the hose. Either way, it will smell funky. I leave it on there mostly for that reason, and its just not in my way under the battery.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I removed mine and the lines all the way up to the tank and left a little bit on for a vent above the axle. No smells for me!
                            Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

Good luck taking that thing off without breaking those damn bolt clips. Being under the battery for so long is not good for that metal, and it'll break, then you'll have to cut out the canister. If it's working, leave it alone.

Comment

Working...
                              X