Need some help please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help please!

Ok im replacing my a/c belt, not the alternator belt ive already replaced that one. My question is this, due to the placement of the fans pulley i cannot get the new belt past i to get to the rear crank pulley, do i need to remove the fan and fan pulley to put the new one on?

you have to take the alternator belt off to replace the ac belt......no need to remove the fan

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

then you do some creative stuff and "work" the belt around the fan.
      dude i hate to say it but ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!! i mean if you cant figure this one out maybe your dad should do all your work for ya!
      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

it's a game of violent chess with the belts on these cars
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

watch the edges around the fan shroud. They may get mad at you and cut you.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

belts are blindfolded one-handed stuff
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

ok first off hatninja, fuck you, my dad isnt alive anymore to help me with these things. and second off, i figured it out but im just going to run it with the alternator belt only, the squealing noise when it started cold was the smog pump, which i dont need anyways and the a/c doesnt even work lol.

Comment

Clam down guys.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

sorry

Originally posted by 88grandmarquis View Post
                  ok first off hatninja, fuck you, my dad isnt alive anymore to help me with these things. and second off, i figured it out but im just going to run it with the alternator belt only, the squealing noise when it started cold was the smog pump, which i dont need anyways and the a/c doesnt even work lol.
                  dude sorry bout your dad.
                  My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

im sorry for reacting that way. you didnt deserve that.

Comment

no need to apoligize
                      My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

There are just 4 bolts to remove the fan. I always have trouble realigning the fan after taking it off, but the aftermarket clutch was more intelligently designed

The fan shroud has just 2 bolts. I usually lift the shroud, and the fan, out together; but sometimes I can put in the shroud first and slip the fan in behind it.

Comment

The more intelligent design was that the original clutch had 4 holes, where the aftermarket has four slots: the four slots is just as good at the end of the day for alignment, but really helps for getting that first bolt in.

Comment

nobody should have to remove the fan to change any belt. you just work it on a blade or two at a time.
                            My wife and I.sigpic

Comment

yup, just loop the belt over.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X