Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fuel line wont connect to new pump... sigh....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel line wont connect to new pump... sigh....

Hey everyone! Just installed a new fuel pump on the Crown Vic. It was a big pain in the ass as access the bolts holding it to the block is quite limited. Two hours of hand cramps brought on by tiny wrench pulls later I got the new unit installed. When I went to connect the fuel line that runs from the pump to the carb I couldn't get it to thread. Thought it wasn't quite lining up right, walked away for the day to compose myself and then went back at it tonight with the line disconnected from the carb for some wiggle room and it still wouldn't connect. The connection on both pumps looked the same to me, but is it possible that the new pump has a different thread or opening size? Eyeballing it, it looks the same... so frustrating. If anyone here can impart some wisdom ... or lead me to a decent flexible, low stress level installing line that will go right into my new pump... I will be so grateful!!!

Thanks in advance!
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Is there an intermediate bit that goes in there? Usually fuel lines are double flare. Sometimes on a pump you'll have a fitting that goes from pipe thread to flare that needs to be switched over, otherwise it just won't.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I wouldn't think the fitting is different, but anything is possible!
      You are on the right track as far as tricks - try loosening up the fuel pump itself and wiggling it around while you try to re-thread the fuel line. Re-threading a hard line fitting into something fixed can be very frustrating, even if the angle-of-approach is the least bit off, and especially if the threads are the least bit buggered. If you still have trouble, go ahead and take the pump bolts all the way back out. It will be easier than trying to fight a stubborn steel line at the wrong angle...!
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
        I wouldn't think the fitting is different, but anything is possible!
        You are on the right track as far as tricks - try loosening up the fuel pump itself and wiggling it around while you try to re-thread the fuel line. Re-threading a hard line fitting into something fixed can be very frustrating, even if the angle-of-approach is the least bit off, and especially if the threads are the least bit buggered. If you still have trouble, go ahead and take the pump bolts all the way back out. It will be easier than trying to fight a stubborn steel line at the wrong angle...!
        I was afraid of that! Those bolts are terrible to try to get at and with the line connected it will be even more difficult to tighten everything back down again. But if that's what i have to do then that's what I have to do. Will loosening the bolts again affect the gasket at all?
        ************************************************** ******************************
        1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          Is there an intermediate bit that goes in there? Usually fuel lines are double flare. Sometimes on a pump you'll have a fitting that goes from pipe thread to flare that needs to be switched over, otherwise it just won't.
          It's just a female end on the outlet of the pump and the fuel line has a male fitment that threads into it. Don't think there's anything else... unless I missed something?

Comment

The gasket should be fine as long as you didn't use an adhesive on both sides or just put it on dry. Silicone is pretty forgiving if that's what you used. That gasket only holds back oil in a non-pressure non-submerged area, so as long as it doesn't get torn in two, it would only seep a little at worst.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
              The gasket should be fine as long as you didn't use an adhesive on both sides or just put it on dry. Silicone is pretty forgiving if that's what you used. That gasket only holds back oil in a non-pressure non-submerged area, so as long as it doesn't get torn in two, it would only seep a little at worst.
              Received and understood I put it on without any adhesive, so I suspect it should be ok.

Worst case scenario it came with two, so I can always replace it if need be. But always good to know I can avoid some extra work!

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
                It's just a female end on the outlet of the pump and the fuel line has a male fitment that threads into it. Don't think there's anything else... unless I missed something?
                If you can see a thing inside the thread that looks sort of like this, then you're fine:

If its just a hole straight through, then usually there is another part that is involved. Have a look at the old pump. If there is an extra gizwhatchy on the old one that isn't on the new one, thats the part in question. It should be reasonably obvious if a part is different though, but its worth consideration. The other typical clue is the shape of the hole on the pump. If its got a hex bit around it for a wrench, its probably the flare bit. If nothing but a threaded hole, its probably pipe thread.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Whoa!! I think this may be exactly what my problem is. How does one obtain a "gizwhatchy" or can I pull the old one out of my failed pump? Also, what do I call it at a parts store so they know what I mean. I'll probably just bring a copy of the pic you sent me. or drag in my old pump.

Comment

It should unscrew from the old pump. If not, I believe its a flare adapter, or a pipe to flare adapter. You'd just need to know the sizes. I'll take a wild ass guess and say its 1/4" NPT to 5/16" flare but verify that. 5/16" tubing does measure 5/16" outside diameter. 1/4" NPT measures closer to 1/2" OD. Or 8mm and 13mm respectively up there in metric land.

Comment

It should unscrew from the old pump. If not, I believe its a flare adapter, or a pipe to flare adapter. You'd just need to know the sizes. I'll take a wild ass guess and say its 1/4" NPT to 5/16" flare but verify that. 5/16" tubing does measure 5/16" outside diameter. 1/4" NPT measures closer to 1/2" OD. Or 8mm and 13mm respectively up there in metric land.
                      I actually took a closer look yesterday and the two outlets look exactly the same. I got excited for no reason... blame my bad memory and access to a computer before access to the parts. Turns out the actual problem is the fitting and the outlet don't line up properly. I uninstalled both the pump and the hard line and they go together fine when they aren't on the car (actually, all ego aside, my wife got it to thread). Reinstalled them with this newfound knowledge and still no luck, and in our zeal to make it work we ended up bending the ever loving snot out of the hard line.

Do you or anyone else know if there's a flexible, braided steel line that works with these carbs and pumps? That would solve a lot of my problems.

Comment

sounds like the line is a bit tweaked. Maybe undo it from the carb so you can move it around. That should let you get it connected to the pump and then you can fool with it topside where there is a bit more access.

Comment

sounds like the line is a bit tweaked. Maybe undo it from the carb so you can move it around. That should let you get it connected to the pump and then you can fool with it topside where there is a bit more access.
                          That's what I was doing. I even loosened off the pump for more wiggle room. It was all an exercise in futility and now messed up line

I do appreciate all the advice though! So thank you!

Comment

well, absolute worst case you could do it with rubber, but I'm not a fan of that honestly. The rubber lines tend to crack and fail after a while. Its just brake line though, so you could always replace it if you had to.

Comment

well, absolute worst case you could do it with rubber, but I'm not a fan of that honestly. The rubber lines tend to crack and fail after a while. Its just brake line though, so you could always replace it if you had to.
                              Went the rubber route. Kept the old ends and attached them at the pump and the carb then ran the rubber fuel line between the two. Held up awesome and works great. Also, new plugs and the cold idle is super strong. Hot idle though is surging and running rich... I'm going to start a new thread for that new problem though...

Comment

Working...
                              X