Sway bar Bushing Squeak???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sway bar Bushing Squeak???

OK, My car started to have a really LOUD squeak in the front end when I go over something like a speed bump, or coming in or out of a driveway... so I thought it was the upper bushings needed greased.... Since most of these oil change places DO NOT grease the upper bushings... because it is too much of a pain... So I took it to Ford for an oil change.. since I am going to Franklin, Tn the day after Thanksgiving... Which they did a COMPLETE underside Check for me, checked all the tire pressures, brakes, etc... since I was going out of town... All the mechanics up there love my Crown vic.... (They haven't seen my '84 yet!) The manager wants to have my '84 for their showroom when I get done with it, for about a week or so... Anyway... So I leave there... go home, and it is still squeaking... It is the polyurathane swaybar bushings squeaking! Anyone have an idea for some sort of lubrication for the bushings??? Maybe some silicone spray??? Don't want to mess up the bushings! I figure it is because it is cold... but it never did this before!!!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…
    Agent Tony DiNozzo… It only seems longer….

http://www.tomspolicecars.com/

my swaybar chassis bushings (poly) have grease fittings on the brackets, so I dont think greasing them will hurt

Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

I just installed a rear swaybar and used Amsoil Synthetic grease around all bushings.
      | ~ |
      2004 LX Sport-------------------------1989 LX 5.0

Comment

I'm with Pete here, I have grease fittings on mine as well. Plastic will not have any problem with grease.

Comment

wd40 will work but wont last long

Comment

One major advantage to the polyurethane bushings is they won't behave the same as rubber. They won't soak up grease and oil anywhere near as noticeably as rubber bushings (if at all).

I've heard good things about that Amsoil- may want to take a look at it.
            2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
            1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
            1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Squeak

Fixed!

Last week when I put some Lucas oil in my power steering, i spilled some, and used some degreaser to clean the area... Well, i guess I dried out the bottom "A" arm bushing on that side, which made it start squeaking... So today I sprayed some silicone on the bottom bushing.. and the squeak went away!

Agent Caitlin Todd… You know Tony, Statistics show that married men live longer…

Comment

Good deal.

How did the Lucas work out for you? I have a bottle to dump in my car, but I have to get the old crap out of there first. I think I'm gonna just cut the return line, flush the thing with fresh fluid, replace the return hose, and dump the Lucas in and top off as needed.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well, the Lucas is about the consitancy of molases... THICK!!!! you sort of "glop" it in!!! I drained as much as I could with an old turkey baister.. To suck out the fluid.... as far down as possible.. then filled it back up wit the Lucas... took almost the whole bottle.... It still makes a little noise... but it steers alot easier.... but it is getting better..... Tom....

Comment

That Lucas is fantastic. When I had my Thunderbird, it had a slight leak. I added Lucas and it stopped. It's REALLY good at helping worn out gear boxes and such.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

swaybar bushing squeek

Guys
                      just FYI: if you do have an antisway bar bushing squeek, remove the bushing, then wrap the bar area under the bushing with Teflon tape (like Plumbers use). Then reinstall the bar in the bushing.
                      The tape provides a nice smooth surface for the bar to rotate on.
                      GaryM

Comment

good idea

Comment

Working...
                        X