MSD Coil, and Ford Racing 9mm wires.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSD Coil, and Ford Racing 9mm wires.

Title says it all. I bought a MSD coil that puts out 48,000volts as upposed to the stocker 38,000volts. While doing this I went ahead and upgraded my 8mm Motorcraft wires to 9mm Ford Racing wires. I spent a little time running the wires because I had to enlarg my wire looms for the 9mm. And because I wanted them to be run super clean, and not have to worry about them hitting the headers.

You run the same setup as me, but you have the coil on the right fender - smart thing, I was dumb enough to put mine on the left and ended up leaving extra slack in all the wiring so when I stomp on the gas and the engine twists nothing gets ripped off. Not too bad, but not as clean as I wanted it. By the way, I have a favor to ask you of - next time you have the hood open with the engine running, please listen to the coil and tell me if it rattes as it discharges, mine does that and it's really bugging me as it seems that I'm the only one experiencing it :drug:

Comment

Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan D
        You run the same setup as me, but you have the coil on the right fender - smart thing, I was dumb enough to put mine on the left and ended up leaving extra slack in all the wiring so when I stomp on the gas and the engine twists nothing gets ripped off. Not too bad, but not as clean as I wanted it. By the way, I have a favor to ask you of - next time you have the hood open with the engine running, please listen to the coil and tell me if it rattes as it discharges, mine does that and it's really bugging me as it seems that I'm the only one experiencing it :drug:
        Mine does that. I have the generic Summit upgrade coil and it makes like a buzzing noise. I don't have a condensor on it tho. I have one to install, but just haven't gotten around to it. I'll ground the coil bracket and add the condensor to see if it helps. I can hear it firing with the hood closed if I stand next to the wheel on that side and listen for it.

And thats stock location for a 1986, over on the pass. fender. 87+ stuck it on the AC bracket.

I like those wires. I have a set on my car and they're quite nice. Great price too, pretty much the same as stock Motorcraft and they're bigger and blue which in and of itself must be good for 5-10 hp.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget, you've seen how mine's done - neither plugging the condeser in, nor grounding the whole damn thing with 6g wire helped a bit, it's still loud as hell. Of course the plastic inner fender resonating under it might have a big contribution to the noise, but I prefer my coil noisy and dry than the quiet but wet AC bracket location... it's just ridiculous how much water can actually get to it through the radiator in a nice heavy rain forced by strong oncoming wind.

And yes, Ford Racing wires are indeed pretty, just don't touch them with dirty fingers :drug:

Comment

Lookin' good!
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

i think that thte Ford Racing wires were a little to long for my application. I have to keep 5-8 off the header by running it above the breather. I ve got that same blaster TFI coil on mine
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Also, I run the straight plug boots, and in order to keep them off the header, I used zipties!!

Comment

The coil tics on mine, and I do have the condensor on it. It was what I expected with a 48,000 volt coil. That's about 27% more than the stock coild, when it was new.

Comment

Every set of wires Ive bought have been a little long... you definitly have to get creative to run them neatly.

Oh my coil is supposed to be a high output Borg Warner - its on my driver fenderwell and I dont hear any noise. I have the doo dad on it and a small ground. I mostly bought it beacause i needed a new coil and thi one is grey
                    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                    sigpic
                    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

and you think getting shocked with a stock ignition was fun

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                      '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                      '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

I should know, I got hit about 4 times when I initially converted to carb!

Comment

Ohhh...Ahhh
                          '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
                          '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Originally posted by Grand_Marquis_GT
                            I should know, I got hit about 4 times when I initially converted to carb!
                            I was adjusting the timing on my friend's Firebird, he had poked holes in the tops of all the wires at the coil to ground them out as he was playing with it to get the firing order correct. I didn't know it at the time but suddenly that fucker lit my ass up. I had my hand right across the top of the distributor cap and I think the dizzy spun a full turn before it threw me off. That sucked. GM HEI ignitions have a healthy kick to them.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                            X