Stand-Alone Ignition on 302

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stand-Alone Ignition on 302

Okay. I've been requested to install a 302 where they don't normally belong- in a Jeep Wrangler. I have pretty much everything worked out in my head for linkages, crossmembers, etc, but what about the ignition?

What would you guys recommend I use for the ignition box, since it won't have any other Ford equipment in it? Is there a stock box I can use and rewire it to work? I don't deal much with ignition systems, so I'm sorta stumped... it's been on "the list" of things to study for some time, now.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Well, carb'd or EFI?

If you want to go carb, you can go with an MSD 6AL, duraspark distributor, and coil for a great setup (this is what I use)
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

How much does that cost? I'm hoping he wants to go carb, but if he wants EFI, I'll do it for him using the FRPP stand-alone management system. It's worth the $750, considering it's wiring, sensors, computer, etc. But like I said, I'm hoping he goes carb.

This is the first big job for my business (don't worry, Scott, it's here in Louisiana!), so I need this to look sharp. I've been hoping to get BS jobs until I can gain enough respect to do these drivetrain swaps, but this guy wants me to do it simply on the fact that when he asks me a question, I can answer it.
      2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

You could get away with doing this for about 350 bucks...

Comment

Hehehe. I just checked through the local 4x4 forum- there's a guy giving away a motor and trans out of a CV. Everyone is talking about how they're crap... so I'm taking them. ha!

I love freebies. He says the motor needs to be rebuilt, but that's not hard or expensive to do.

Comment

The shortblock, carnk and rods would be of good use...

Comment

Yep. Oil pan, too.

Short block will be professionally rebuilt. I'll likely find some GT40 heads and a good intake set-up. Trying to not be too pricey, though- I gotta be able to do this for a legitimate cost so I can profit and he can say he got a good deal.

Comment

Being a junk collector is good...

Comment

And FYI:

The MSD 6AL is EASY and quick to wire up, too...

Comment

The wiring for an EFI is easy. A CV harness is great for it. All you really need is 12V power. The fuel system IMO would be more difficult to do.
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Run an HEI unit, you can get them off E-bay. one 12V power wire to the coil is all you need.
                      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

A full MSD system costs about $500. $210 for the 6A, dont think he needs the soft tough rev limiter that the 6AL has. About $225 for the Billit distributor, and another $50 for a TFI coil
                        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
                        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

You also have the option of doing a factory Ford duraspark setup. That will keep it under $100. Basically the same as the MSD setup but uses the $20 duraspark ignition boxes from the parts stores.

RIP Jason P Harril, we'll miss ya bro

'80 Town Coupé
                          '84 Towncar - Teh Cobra TC, 408w powered
                          '16 Ram 1500 CC Outdoorsman, Hemi/3.92/8sp 4x4

Comment

Id use the duraspark box and OEM distro, if its not (going to be) a super hot rod motor.
                            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                            sigpic
                            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Yeah- I want to run Duraspark equipment. How do I wire the stock box? Anyone know? Isn't it just a two-wire set-up?

Comment

Working...
                              X