Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!!!

This morning my car wouldnt start. It was cold but not too much colder than it has been. It worked fine last night, no problems, except my blinkers and ditch lights are acting goofy again. This morning the car was dead. I jumped it and got it into my garage and whenever I turn and accesory or lights on the car stalls right out. Brand new alt, battery,cables, and regulator. There was a connector on the fender that was rotted and I needed to splice it to get my car to run. I'm gonna check that and test it all out now. If you guys could point out some things I'm not thinking of that would be awesome.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Re: Help!!!

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
    There was a connector on the fender that was rotted and I needed to splice it to get my car to run. I'm gonna check that and test it all out now. If you guys could point out some things I'm not thinking of that would be awesome.

Your battery needs to have a charge to start your car......
    You need to get current to your starter to turn it over.......
    Nothing else matters.......

Check/charge your battery.......check your connections (make sure your posts are clean).........check your wiring including your grounds.......the wire from the alternator to your battery (solenoid post) could be bad. In that case, you would be running on your battery and the battery would be unable to be recharged.

Hopefully you have a good multimeter and a battery post/cable cleaner.
    Once your battery has a good charge and you have checked the wires from the alternator to battery, check the output of your alternator.
    Find out what is good before you try and guess what is bad.

Comment

The posts are super clean, and I have a multimeter. There is a connector on the fender I have been having issues with since I got the car. I'm gonna go get some connections cleaner and some heatshrink connectors from the hardware store. It has a new soleniod but I'll be checking everything.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.

Comment

there is a fuse link in the alternator harness that runs directly under the air intake. Most likely the link is broken. You mentioned the other fuse link on the passenger side at the starter solenoid. also, did you replace the 3 wire plug on the top of the alternator, those are notorious for corroding and causing altnerator fires.

with the car running, use your DVOM and verify 14 volts at the battery. if you get less than 13 volts at the battery with the car running, something is wrong.

the other possibility is the reman alternator you bought is no good.
        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
          the other possibility is the reman alternator you bought is no good.
          BINGO!!!

I took it off a few hours ago and had it tested, It was junk, got a new one under waranty, so no money spent yet. Another reason to hate Avance Auto, sorry tom.

Comment

Well, I always exchanged alternators if they were bad, no questions asked...
            1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
            Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

All fixed, the new alt is different looking but fits just fine and works like a charm.

Well, I always exchanged alternators if they were bad, no questions asked...
              I dont know how it is in florida, but here, Advance has a bad rep for poor service and some cheapo parts. I'm sure your store was very good.

Comment

I had to pretty much force this one guy at Advance to return the 2nd bad alternator he sold me.

he tried to tell me that even though my voltage regulator was new, it was the cuase of all these alternators going bad, because if you dont replace both at the same time, they will 'ruin each other' :cuss:

THEN I wasnt happy with that alternator either - and a different guy was there and took it bad no questions asked. He even said after the 2nd return, a refund was manditory.

The other guy was a dick!

Then I went right to Fisher and got myself a rebiult 70 amp Morotcraft alt for less than what I paid at Advance.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

[quote="Mercmarquis"]I took it off a few hours ago and had it tested, It was junk, got a new one under waranty, so no money spent yet. Another reason to hate Avance Auto,[/quote

They all have questionable reman alternators. For me, it is either Delco or Motorcraft for alternators and starters if it is on something I care about. I have worked at Napa, Parts America/Advance and VatoZone. I do not trust any of the cheaper remans......period. Same for reman water pumps. I only buy new. I worked at Sears as a Service Writer while I was going to school and in the Corps. Die Hard Motorcraft and Delco batteries were great, but the cheaper Sears batteries were not. When Sears owned Parts America, it was awesome to be able to sell Die Hards instead of the cheaper junk.

Comment

New waterpumps, period.

I never really told customers about remans, lol...
                    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Yeah, I learned my lesson when my car needed a water pump at 16k. I was not exactly pleased, but its got a brand new pump on it now.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

all in the brand of the reman parts........i trust cardone for pumps and nastra for calipers...................alot of other brands are pure crud

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Working...
                        X