• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DuceAnAHalf
    Gear drive. I got mine new for $100
    :stupid:
    GMNRadio DJ, Podcast Co-Host
    1984 Ford LTD Crown Victoria - Drag Car.
    99 Ranger 2.5 - Parts hauler and Pit truck.
    03 Mustang 3.8 Convertable - Head Gaskets fukered up
    95 S10 93 Accord

Comment

yeah, not smashing on your skills, but doing the timing chain shade tree style is not a task for a beginner.
      Its not 'only an extra 20 minutes' like one knucklehead over on cvn likes to claim.

One way to test for slack in the chain is to take off the dist cap and turn the crank bolt back and forth (to turn the engine).
      Turn one way untill the rotor button moves, then turn the other way and observe how far the crank turns (in degrees) before the rotor moves the other way.
      Im not sure what the numbers are.... does this sound fammiliar scott???
      or am i making shit up again...
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by Mercmarquis
        $300?????

for a water pump replacement? I got a good pump for $27 with a $6 core charge

Or is it a true "wishlist" and has some goodies for the car?
        Hayden 2710/215011 THERMAL FAN CLUTCH $37.99

Cardone B55-23121/C125-1700 WATER PUMP $44.99

Stant RADIATOR CAP-BX $5.99

Prestone 356-180 STANDARD THERMOSTAT $6.49

GP Sorensen Rotor $4.18

Motormite PCV GROMMET - F $2.48

Purolator FILTER BREATHER $5.18

Drive-Rite HOSE RADIATOR $10.48

Drive-Rite HOSE RADIATOR $9.18

Goodyear 4060600 GDY SERPTN BELTS $26.99

Goodyear 4060505 GDY SERPTN BELTS $22.99

NEA Gaskets 720/35067 NEA W/O GASKET $1.49

Fel Pro 70020 FELPRO EGR $2.49

theres a couple oddball things here and there such as a bypass hose and a water pump gasket. i might be able to get everything this week as the current total is $180.92. i'm gonna shop around and see if i can get some better prices too.

pete, no offense implied or taken. if i had to, i'd attempt it but if i can get away without doing it....
        Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

got everything to $157.29
          Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

cool man, whoever was having second thoughts about the timing chain, it is a whole nother' job. I had to buy an impact gun to get the crank bolt out, then I bought the $14 balancer remover, and then i had to buy a new timing cover b/c my old one was warped. But in my case I HAD to open it up because i was leaking coolant inbetween the timing cover and the block. While I was in there I swapped to an HO cam and a new timing chain :chainsaw:
            1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

what about the other 5 hoses? and those pesky egr cooler hoses.......they are all forgotten and can go anytime man

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

:stupid:
                The hoses to the heater core are also a good candidate for replacement. Both the short pump to pipe and pipe to core hose as well as the return line to the top of the intake. Those two short hoses on the water pump should be replaced and the EGR cooler hoses. EGR coolers are just 1/4" fuel line but Scott is right, nobody replaces those till they blow up and leave you stuck somewhere.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re: prob should do the timing chain too, need reccomendation

Originally posted by Evil LTD
                  i gotta replace the water pump on the vic. since i have no clue for the most part about the cars history, i should probably do the timing chain while i have the front of the motor undone lol. knowing my luck i'd just replace the water pump and two weeks later the chain would break. any good and cheap timing chains? i don't need nothin fancy.
                  My 1990 Stang 5.0 had moderate slack on the timing chain after 170K Not enough to replace for no other reason yet.

Be aware that the waterpump bolts are VERY long and are famous for breaking off in the block, or in the front cover. I found that out after doing mine but had no problems I also had a fucker of a time cleaning off the factory gasktet. The dremel tool with the scotchbrite pad is supposed to clean that stuff up great. Even with a sharp gasket scraper it took fucking HOURS and kept diggging into the soft aluminum of the front cover.
                  2004 Marauder M79 90K miles Jmod!! 14.85 @95.63
                  2004 Crown Vic LX 135K Silver Birch Light flint leather FMX1 04 P-71 PCM swap 04 P-71 Airbox and Zip tube "$100 MZT" 01 F-250 70 MM TB 21mm swaybar wood steering wheel BH headlight relay

Comment

Working...
                  X