No announcement yet.

Diesel --> Towncar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aight man, cool, now start saving up for that engine. Oh, and by the way, "dieselplace.com" is where you wanna ask all the questions you may have regarding the engine, they are to the GM diesels what we here are to the Panthers.

Comment

The more I see this project, the more it interests me.

I will be watching this with great interest
      1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
      Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Jon I'm not trying to be ass or anything but this swap isn't any better then someone swapping a sbc in a panther. And I just love it when someone swaps a bowtie engine into a Ford product! But it's not my car.

Now besides the brand of the of the engine what about the following?

What's the benefit of swapping in a large diesel into a car? I could see if it was an all out built turbo diesel. You'd have the performance then. But a stock NA diesel? You are gaining very little performance. You will be adding a lot of weight while making the car more complicated.

And are you doing this for a daily driver? What's the price of diesel where you are located? Here is pushing almost $5.00 a gallon.

What exactly is the benefit of the diesel? Hell a built 300 inline 6 could be done for about the same amount of cash make more power and more torque and would also be a very different swap.

I'd probably be more for this swap if it was a Ford turbo diesel that you planned to run on veggie oil. But a NA gm diesel just seems like a waste of time, money and a good town car. But that's just my which isn't worth much.

Comment

I don't really care about performance, power wise. As for the Chevy into Ford thing, I'm not gonna let something as petty as that interfere. I don't want to swap in a PSD because frankly I think they are complete garbage. I can also run a 6.2 on biodiesel if I want. As for the 300, it sounds like it'd be a cool swap, but it's not original. Plus, aren't they a hell of a lot taller than a V8?

Also, a rebuilt 6.2 can be had for around $900.
          Last edited by grandpaslincoln; 04-24-2008, 08:54 PM.
          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
          Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by grandpaslincoln View Post
            I don't really care about performance, power wise. As for the Chevy into Ford thing, I'm not gonna let something as petty as that interfere. I don't want to swap in a PSD because frankly I think they are complete garbage. I can also run a 6.2 on biodiesel if I want. As for the 300, it sounds like it'd be a cool swap, but it's not original. Plus, aren't they a hell of a lot taller than a V8?

Also, a rebuilt 6.2 can be had for around $900.
            If you don't care about performance why do the swap? What are you getting that's better then a 302 or 351W ( Or any other engine ) ?

I've heard a lot more people bitch and complain about the 6.2 and 6.5's then I have any Ford diesel.

And as far as the 300 swap not being original, how many Panthers have you seen with a 300 in them? A 300 will fit anywhere a 460 will fit.

And there is a reason you can get a 6.2 cheap. They're shit!

It just seems like you could get a lot more benefit for the same cash with a different motor. But it's your car, have fun.

Comment

I'm going to agree with Jon on the PSD diesel being somewhat problematic. However, I believe the early NA Navistar 6.9/7.3 were very good engines.

My brother had a 2002 Excursion that he brough brand new. It needed a turbo with the odometer reading less than 2000 miles. There were lots of turbo issues with those engines from the beginning. The friend that I have in the parts department at a local Ford dealer told me outright: "Don't buy a 7.3 (meaning the PSD) or the 6.0..." Both of them were plagues with issues; mainly with the turbos. He knows too, beuing that he's the one that orders the parts and all. Another issue with those trucks, were the auto transmissions; the 4 speeds were garbage. Torque conveter issues, and transmission failure seemed tp be the norm for anyone that was pulling. But, Jon was a manual tranny, so thats a different issue...

Why would Jon want to spend lots of time installing nothing but a problem [read PSD] into his car? Not to mention, the electrical end of a PSD is alot more complicated than that of the NA diesels. A PSD would be alot more fabrication in the end. Maybe he wants a diesel because it is different, and it will net him better mileage than his current situation (bearing in mind he currently has a carbed 302). I don't think he's really that concerned with the performance of the engine, he just wants to maintain the same level that the car currently has. Well, enough of me speaking for Jon...
              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I like diesels, but I don't really like natural diesels. They're pokey, don't rev that well, and are generally uninspiring in a vehicle. They do run forever tho. I'd not mind a turbo diesel in a panther wagon. it would have to move out of its own way with some authority, not like those 80s Mercedes with the N/A 4 and 6 cylinder diesel motors. Run forever but slow as death. I've also ridden in a 6.2 NA Blazer, took forever to build any speed but it did cruise down the road nicely.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Not to brag or anything, but there is a kid at school with a '94 F350 dually with a 460, same tranny and gears and tires as my '90, essentially the same truck only newer and gas powered - off the line I have absolutely no issue keeping up with him, and I have larger cap and also camper tie-down beams, a massive rear bumper, and full running boards, so overall I'm a bit heavier than him. Pedal to the metal I revv all the way up past 3500rpms before upshift, and really you'd never expect something that big to move so quickly off the light

Stock n/a diesel come with restrictive air intake, restrictive air cleaner box, retarded IP, and the fuel set a very conservative flow - open up the intake, get rid of the restrictions behind the air filter, advance the pump, turn it up a bit, drop in a set of G-code injectors, and all of sudden the old tired n/a oil-burner feel like it got a shit load more power, and what do you know, it actually does.

Comment

The stock exhaust is pretty restrictive as well.
                    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
                    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

lol, thanks for reminding me - I'm going bigger whenever I can afford it, till then I have it straightpiped as the stock muffler just plain SUCKS for airflow!

Comment

i'd put a 7.3 powerstroke in my wagon if i could, probably would get me close to 30 MPG. i used to have an international 4900 service truck running around my yard at work that had a 444ti (maybe it was 444te...?). the base rating on that engine was 170 hp and the top rating was 230 if i remeber right. not enough for a 25,000 lb truck but more than enough to turn my car into a beast at the stoplight.
                        '88 Colony Park, white with wood grain contact paper, K code axle, hose pliers on heater hoses, factory duals, big plans in the future...

'83 Toyota 4x4, 31x10.50 15, could use a new carb, custom humidifying holes in the roof, mud based paint...

Comment

Was curious about a possible Cummins 4bt swap (Cummins 4 cyl turbo) and holy shit, you can't touch those things for under 2 grand. Looked at PSD's just for shits and giggles as well, just too damn expensive. At this point I think the 6.2 would be the cheapest swap. Still don't know when this shit is gonna go down, diesel prices right now have me on the fence about the whole thing.
                          Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Just as a wild guess, what sort of fuel mileage would you expect from this combination?

2001 Ford Crown Victoria P71 - "The Fire Engine"
                            1985 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series
                            But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8

Comment

Not sure. 6.2's have known to get at least 26+ with a manual transmission.
                              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250

Comment

Wow, I also have always thought the idea of droping in a deisel in would be cool. check this out: Check his other vids too.
                                DMC 1970 Monte Carlo with a 1999 cummins turbo diesel 24 valve installed, from a dodge 1 ton truck.
                                Vehicle: 1965 Pontiac Catalina (fastback 2+2)
                                Chasis: 1982 Ford LTD Country Squire
                                Drivetrain: 302 V8 carb, AOD, 8.8 with 3.08 gears.
                                Big Brake swap and front suspension completed.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X