best readily available 302 to start with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
    hmm...300hp or so with an explorer motor and headers, right? seems like i could buy a dozen of them for the price of a shortblock anywhere
    Depends on what you want. Do you know what you want? Do you have certain performance goals? What kind of budget are you going to be able to put together, and in what timeframe? You can afford a lot more motor if you call your current junk good enough and save for a few years, but that might not be worth the trouble if "a little more than stock" is exactly what you want and you'll be thrilled to death with a warmed-over HO for the rest of your car's life.

You read about David Clafin's build, right? 360rwhp and 26mpg sound like a pretty good street combo to me.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I believe mrltd made in the neighborhood of 245rwhp with his explorer combo in his wagon.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
        I believe mrltd made in the neighborhood of 245rwhp with his explorer combo in his wagon.
        Which is exactly what I'm talking about. His car is oodles better than a stock Vic, but it's not supposed to be that hard to do a lot better still.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
          Depends on what you want. Do you know what you want? Do you have certain performance goals? What kind of budget are you going to be able to put together, and in what timeframe? You can afford a lot more motor if you call your current junk good enough and save for a few years, but that might not be worth the trouble if "a little more than stock" is exactly what you want and you'll be thrilled to death with a warmed-over HO for the rest of your car's life.

You read about David Clafin's build, right? 360rwhp and 26mpg sound like a pretty good street combo to me.

no I have not read that build...my current junk is plenty because the car is getting parked next year when it won't be my DD anymore.

budget? I honestly don't know, I suppose buying it piece by piece over time would be the easiest and probably cheapest route for me.

performance goals? that 360 26mpg sounds dandy to me.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

mind you that 245 is at the rear wheels through an automatic trans. On an engine dyno, that would probably be damn close to 290 hp.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

That 360 was RWHP, and I want to say that was with an automatic as well. I'll have to check again, though.

Of course, to be fair, David's not running a stock engine with just a cam change, but I think it's a really neat example of what can be done.

Comment

I'd probably be happy with anything 250+ - especially if getting much higher will be mucho expensive
                Last edited by 1990LTD; 10-27-2010, 01:36 AM.
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  That 360 was RWHP, and I want to say that was with an automatic as well. I'll have to check again, though.

Of course, to be fair, David's not running a stock engine with just a cam change, but I think it's a really neat example of what can be done.
                  Is there a detailed write-up on Larry's hatred site? (I'm assuming that's where it is). That might be something to look into.
                  Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                  New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Originally posted by hemihotrod402 View Post
                    Is there a detailed write-up on Larry's hatred site? (I'm assuming that's where it is). That might be something to look into.
                    I think this is the thread: http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,5081.0.html

I noticed another post; evidently it was actually 345rwhp and as much as 28-29 observed mpg.

Comment

linky no work, have to be a member or something, and isnt that site run by that camgrinding clown?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Run by? Hardly.

Comment

A 351W is the best swap you can do. My 351W(sitting on the engine stand now) would spin the tires @75mph in 5th gear(my old t-5) if the highway was anything but perfectly clean and dry. That was in my old 3800lb T-Bird with 3.73's and sweet tires. The best part of that was I had only had $1800 into it, including fllywheel, clutch and every little odd and end part.

In these cars, gaining a ton of bottom end torque is never a bad thing. You don't have to use Lightning stuff if it's not in your budget(as it's astronomically expensive). I used a stock 351 truck lower(ported) with a BC Broncos intake adapter(also ported) with a seriously ported HO upper plenum. It's got a stupidly mild Crane cam in it(wish I went bigger) and pulls hard to about 4800rpm though a stock HO throttle body. Before I cut open, ported and shortened the runners in the HO intake, it would quit pulling around 4000rpm, before that....with a stock fox 55mm MAF it stopped pulling around 3600rpm. It's getting pulled apart and some more port work is getting done and it's getting an 80mm TB before it goes in my 'Vic.

I'm running mildly ported GT-40 iron heads(not the "P" heads) with stock 1.84"/1.54" valves on a stock truck/van shortblock. I had the heads milled down to 59cc's and it works out to about 9.3:1 C/R.

It all comes down to what you HONESTLY want and can afford...for budget power, I'm your guy...if you want a high-winding 302 based stroker...well that's somebody else's territory.

Everybody will tell you any factory head is junk, that's not true, it just depends on what you're trying to do. You can make 350+ rwhp with well worked over GT-40 iron heads all day...BUT if you don't have the means or knowledge to do it yourself it can easily cost you as much as a set of aluminum heads.

Good luck,
                          Don
                          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Ah, but what's your efficiency going to be like pushing 350hp with tiny heads?

Comment

theoretically, the only major expense in a lightning 351 build is the intake, which will most likely cost you more than the motor.

But than again the most valuable part of the whole setup (the plaque) can be sold again so you will get some of your money back.

While we are on this topic, my setup will be this

351 Roller Block
                              Comp XE264
                              TrickFlow 190 heads
                              1.6 roller rockers
                              Lightning GT40 intake
                              Lightning EGR bored to 70mm
                              70mm Throttle Body
                              Whale K&N Intake
                              24lbhr Injectors

Costly, yes. Fun, HELL YES.
                              Parts Car (Scrapped ) - Vicky - 1987 LTD Crown Victoria: 17x8 Gunmetal Gray Coys C-5 wheels, 235/55-17 Falken Ziex ZE-502 tires. 79 LTD Grille, Taillights, and Turn Signals, Blue LED Dash Lights, PI Rear Sway Bar, 140 MPH Speedometer, Dual Exhaust w/ Mustang Headers.
                              New Project: Vicky II - 1981 Ford LTD: 61,XXX miles, virtually rust free. Currently For Sale

Comment

Dont forget my measurements a super Vic with the medium elbow is only 1/2" taller than the lightning. The lightning intake is not enough intake for a 351 with good heads IMO that's why I got rid of mine.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                                Big plans

Comment

Working...
                                X