best readily available 302 to start with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
    It takes $$$ to make power and retain MPG. You are simply not going to do it with a plug in factory ECM. It would be easy to simply fly the BS flag here, but suffice it to say that just because someone did it, do not make the error of assuming it was either simple or inexpensive as it was most assuredly neither. Pointing to a single individual who was able to accomplish something is not an example of what most people can realistically accomplish with the resources available to them.
    That's part of it, I have no idea what resources he has available or wishes to allocate. Possibly he has (or will have) the money for fancy parts, possibly not. Possibly he'll think it feasible to do some tuning, possibly he'll require that a stock ECM run the engine adequately without tuning. Not my call to say what he should or shouldn't plan to do with his car. My Explorer motor was kind of a waste in some ways, and is currently a source of annoying headaches.

I just hope he isn't counting on a random junkyard engine being okay to drop in and run. Mine wasn't anything like ready to run and ran me several hundred dollars more than I'd figured on. Hopefully his luck is better.
    Last edited by 1987cp; 10-28-2010, 07:26 AM.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post

that it?

That looks kind of convenient. Though I agree about fitment - looks to me like it might hit the steering linkages.
      Last edited by 1987cp; 10-28-2010, 07:22 AM.
      2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

also, no, I'm not going to buy a junkyard motor and drop it in. I'll probably have the motor on a stand and rebuild it the best I can (it'll be a bit of a learning experience since I've never had a motor down to the block/heads) with the best parts I can afford (cam etc) before it gets shoehorned into my car.
        sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

fuck, I wish I had the money now. 350 for a whole explorer motor with 135000km. stupid priorities
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

The Explorer cooler thing is a fair bit bigger. I think Scott and I tried to fit one in, and it would not clear the steering box or some other part that wasn't really practical to eliminate or move. All 302s that have the oil filter screwed into the side of the block have the adapter thats needed. It looks basically like a pipe nipple. The problem is getting the damn thing out of the block once its been in there for 25 years.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              All 302s that have the oil filter screwed into the side of the block have the adapter thats needed. It looks basically like a pipe nipple. The problem is getting the damn thing out of the block once its been in there for 25 years.
              That's why you get a new one from Ford....
              F1AZ-6890-B

Comment

I had one come out when I pulled the filter off during an oil change...stayed in the filter...after some careful use of channel locks, I re-installed it back into the motor and intalled a new filter. The car was sold to my brother and we never had another problem it...lol. Seems like nothing is ever that easy, it always ends up being a big project.

Back on topic...we still haven't gotten a ball-park budget and a CLEAR plan of what he wants.

+1 on replacing stock springs...absolute garbacho.

Good luck,
                Don
                '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                  Back on topic...we still haven't gotten a ball-park budget and a CLEAR plan of what he wants.
                  Sure we have. This is a very typical thread. You will eventually become accustomed to it. Think of these threads as sounding boards looking for ideas. Trying to add more power to the anemic CV/GM without spending alot of cash. Don't expect resolution very quickly. Don't take offense if your idea is not the one followed.

Comment

a sounding board is the best description i've seen of what i want this thread to be...it's not getting built tomorrow or next week or next month but i'd still like to hear what everyone thinks
                    sigpic

Comment

I know how it is, my 351 isn't going in anytime soon, but I still have figured a budget for it and as soon as I hit that magical number, I'll be ready. I've seen too many projects get started and never finished, with the person ending up selling what parts he has, usually at a loss. Get your finances in order and you'll be set...if you can't scrape up $350 for an explorer motor...then it may not be the best time for you to be building a motor.

Good luck,
                      Don
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
                        I know how it is, my 351 isn't going in anytime soon, but I still have figured a budget for it and as soon as I hit that magical number, I'll be ready. I've seen too many projects get started and never finished, with the person ending up selling what parts he has, usually at a loss. Get your finances in order and you'll be set...if you can't scrape up $350 for an explorer motor...then it may not be the best time for you to be building a motor.

Good luck,
                        Don

That's the thing - This isn't supposed to be happening RIGHT NOW. Whatever motor I decide on won't touch my car for probably another year.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          That's the thing - This isn't supposed to be happening RIGHT NOW. Whatever motor I decide on won't touch my car for probably another year.
                          I gathered that much...as evidenced by the first sentence of my last post. Buying a junkyard motor doesn't mean it has to go in the car immediately. I had my 351W on the stand for 4-5 months before it went in the car. Nearly as important as a clearly planned out budget is a well planned time line for the project.

Good luck,
                          Don

Comment

I don't wanna spend more than 2k on the motor build.
                            sigpic

Comment

The explorer "adapter" is a cooler and the oil filter is the same as used on a 4.6L....Not an FL-1A. And the swaybar and steering box were in the way when installed in a panther.
                              Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                                The explorer "adapter" is a cooler and the oil filter is the same as used on a 4.6L....Not an FL-1A. And the swaybar and steering box were in the way when installed in a panther.
                                Not all are coolers. I will try and get a pick of a non-cooler Explorer housing.

Comment

Working...
                                X