best readily available 302 to start with

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
    I noticed another post; evidently it was actually 345rwhp and as much as 28-29 observed mpg.
    It takes $$$ to make power and retain MPG. You are simply not going to do it with a plug in factory ECM. It would be easy to simply fly the BS flag here, but suffice it to say that just because someone did it, do not make the error of assuming it was either simple or inexpensive as it was most assuredly neither. Pointing to a single individual who was able to accomplish something is not an example of what most people can realistically accomplish with the resources available to them.

Comment

Originally posted by sick88tbird View Post
      You can make 350+ rwhp with well worked over GT-40 iron heads all day...BUT if you don't have the means or knowledge to do it yourself it can easily cost you as much as a set of aluminum heads.
      This is a fact.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
        I was going to say, get a shortblock from FordStrokers, and heads and cam from Larry's nemesis, and few people on this site will be able to get near you.
        Yeah, about that: you might want to do some research about just how 'great' their products and service are.

Comment

After research it seems like the one that would make the most sense is an explorer motor with some bits swapped out (cam, maybe rockers..what else?).

turns out quality aftermarket stuff is way, way more than i want to spend. for the price of a set of trickflow heads I could almost buy a complete explorer motor.
          sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

whats this about a build mrltd did on an explorer motor in a wagon? linky?

is the bottom end any different? i know i need a box specific oil pan but i'm curious if the internals are different in construction.

how about the front engine stuff?
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

timing cover has to be swapped cause the exploder water pump is weird, the oil pan and pickup have to be swapped, need an oil filter adaptor from ford, block is the same.
              mrltd has a 96 explorer engine with a comp cams xe264 and 24 lb injectors

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
              2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
              1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
              1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
              2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
              1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

different ECU for the 24lbers?

I was recommended the e303
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                  After research it seems like the one that would make the most sense is an explorer motor with some bits swapped out (cam, maybe rockers..what else?).
                  Pull the heads and install a set of tuliped head (undercut) stainless valves and a good set of springs. The factory springs are barely stronge enough for the factory cam. Full roller rockers are almost free horsepower.

Comment

found a 96 explorer for parts...350...i hope it's not that stupid fucking cologne v6
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                      need an oil filter adaptor from ford,
                      Another reminder to everyone that these are now obsolete from Ford. Stock up while you can. The same thing goes for many of the other little things we take for granted.

Comment

why the filter adapter? can't use an explorer filter?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                          why the filter adapter? can't use an explorer filter?
                          The Exploder filter housing puts the filter at a funky angle. It may not fit well in your engine compartment. Most of them I have seen are actually a cooler adapter which is even more combersome. I have both laying around. When I work on my P72, I will mock them up and take pics. This will not be for a while.

Comment

that it?
                            sigpic

Comment

Close. That looks like the universal one you can get. The Explorer one has a tab to hold it in a single position.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                                Another reminder to everyone that these are now obsolete from Ford. Stock up while you can. The same thing goes for many of the other little things we take for granted.
                                A dirty little secret is that the "nut" and bolt that the factory Explorer cooler uses is the same as the 429s used in the 70s.

Comment

Working...
                                X