No announcement yet.

Exhaust Note????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just finished up 351 swap earlier in the week, converted to MAF and she runs pretty sweet...I still have a lot of work ahead to optimize the combination...ve...

My old 351W T-bird when it still had tail-pipes. Exhaust was shorty headers, off-road H-pipe glass packs and the big key to the old Mercury hot rod sound, rolled edge exhaust tips.

Removing the tail pipes and tips completely changed the tone of the exhaust. You need rolled edge exhaust tips...exhaust tips do a LOT to change the tone of any exhaust. Rolled edge tips produce that old hot-rod sound...I'll be going back to them once I run duals on my CV.

Good luck,
    Don
    '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

the tips on my wagon are magnaflow rolled angle cut tips. if you like the sound, go for it mang. its cheap to do lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Stock duals with asspacks:
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

that's the glass pack sound...sounds like a farm truck...can't stand that sound personally...just sounds like ass to me...like a $4 exhaust....but if you like it, everyone is different.

Here is my old 77 f150 with glass packs for comparison...It sounded "ok" for having glass packs

I JUST picked this beast up...it's a 77 stepside f150 4x4. It's got the 31 spline rear axle into an np435 4 speed manual trans with granny gear into an np20...

However, here is my idea of a real american sound....this is hedman longtubes through an h pipe with no cats of course into flowmaster exhaust. The engine is a 5.0 with a small b303 roller cam and aluminum gt40 heads...nothing special...This is my 66 and I can't get enough of the way it sounds, even after 2 years

-1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
          -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
          -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Originally posted by v8only View Post
            that's the glass pack sound...sounds like a farm truck...can't stand that sound personally...just sounds like ass to me...like a $4 exhaust....but if you like it, everyone is different.

Here is my old 77 f150 with glass packs for comparison...It sounded "ok" for having glass packs

I JUST picked this beast up...it's a 77 stepside f150 4x4. It's got the 31 spline rear axle into an np435 4 speed manual trans with granny gear into an np20...

However, here is my idea of a real american sound....this is hedman longtubes through an h pipe with no cats of course into flowmaster exhaust. The engine is a 5.0 with a small b303 roller cam and aluminum gt40 heads...nothing special...This is my 66 and I can't get enough of the way it sounds, even after 2 years

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5bVsOLVtmhY
            The truck sounds bad. I dont know if its your exhaust or the camera but thats not at all what I was looking for. As for the "american sounding" mustang, it the same generic mustang exhaust I here 50x's a day. Flowmaster get kinda old.
            Town Coupe [X]
            Mark VI [ ]
            Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
            Crown Victoria Coupe
            [ ]

Comment

Its not old on a box though... it sounds different with the lopo cam, more mellow, mine sounds like pure sexytime
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by BBMK790 View Post
                The truck sounds bad. I dont know if its your exhaust or the camera but thats not at all what I was looking for. As for the "american sounding" mustang, it the same generic mustang exhaust I here 50x's a day. Flowmaster get kinda old.
                the truck sounded GOOD for a glasspack job...that's what I was trying to get at.

As for the flowmaster sound, love it or hate it, that's THE sound that essentially the entire muscle car world equates with badass muscle cars. I've been through most exhaust systems before from magnaflow to dynomax to cherry bombs to flowtech and more....while they all sounded "ok"...none ever get the respect and compliments, nor sound nearly as good as flowmasters do.
                -1999 P71 Crown vic X LAPD..
                -1966 mustang, 5.0 roller crate motor, t5 etc
                -1972 maverick 5.0 roller crate motor with EFI and a Lentech AOD

Comment

Working...
                X