No announcement yet.

fastest box?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The letter cams are like the TFS1 in the fact that they are both older grinds.

'Modern' cam offerings from companies like Comp, have more aggressive ramp profiles.

Think about it. How far has cam technology come since these were released?

There is a reason letter cams (and arguably the TFS1) are no longer 'top dogs'. If you're changing the cam, you might as well get as much as you can for your money. For a few extra bucks you can have something with modern tech.

I didn't say it was a bad cam to use, or that it wouldn't perform better than a stock HO cam.

If I were doing a cam, I would use something with a more modern tech base.
    Last edited by P72Ford; 02-02-2011, 12:19 PM.
    **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
    **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
    **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
    **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Mine was the fastest.... end of discussion.

2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Anyone that turbo's their box, MUST get one of the following plates...

TURBOAT
        TURBOX
        TTBOX
        Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
        'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
        sigpic
        85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Boostbox

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
            best intake would be either a tubular gt40 lightning intake, or a holley system maxII
            The best intake would probably be something like a custom sheet metal intake from someone like Hogan

and twin turbos will fit with a 351
            http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
            http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

The GT40 intakes are not that special. For flat out flow, fabricated sheet metal is the way to go. However thats not to say they are optimal for every situation. Now we're back to matching your parts to your needs.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by P72Ford View Post
                I would do the shortblock. Not sure what you're looking to spend, but there are solutions that would run the specturm of budget options.

The TFS Stage 1 cam is an older grind. The cam itself is about half the price of more modern HR grinds, which is why I think some people use it. Its like a letter cam.

If you do the bottom end, you could use pistons that would provide improved PTV clearance, which would open up some better cam options.
                If I am gonna do the bottom end it's gonna be on a 351w block I think Might as well go with something that has a bit of a higher ceiling in a lot of ways
                sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

thing with not touching the shortblock is that you're limited because of the pistons and their lack of valve reliefs. Honestly for all the trouble to do a full top end rebuild with the shortblock in the car, you can just yank the engine and do it right. Or get a used HO shortblock and do that up. Pop and swap the motor, done. I've done heads on a Towncar with the engine in the car. F that.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

yeah, I've realized recently how little I want to do ANY engine work with the engine still in there. Whatever happens with the motor I build, it'll just end up being a swap in the end. Old semi-HO comes out and new motor goes in. I am of two different (somewhat conflicting) mindsets here;

- Budget minded. Get a 351w block, put it on a stand, and go from there when I find parts with agreeable prices. Shop around as much as possible and basically do a "budget" build...though that doesn't mean ignore aftermarket stuff (I see this attitude a lot. budget doesn't mean oem only). Could simply rebuild the bottom end with stock stuff since it is probably fully able of handling whatever power the motor will see.

- Go all out...get a 351w block, the previously discussed TW heads (or bigger), custom cam, etc etc....this would not be cheap and it would not be done for many many years. If I'm spending a shit ton of money I want 12 seconds.

I have no idea what 351w block is best, though. Something roller?
                    sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

Originally posted by 1990LTD View Post
                      I have no idea what 351w block is best, though. Something roller?
                      There is no "bad" 351W block. The thing with "best" is that the best engine is the one you can afford. If you can find a 1994 or newer (F4TE) 351W block it makes it affordable to run a roller cam. If all you can find is an earlier block just use that and run a flat tappet cam. It is not a big deal. No matter what component you are using, you can spend sleepless nights worrying about "best" or you can just use what you can find for a reasonable price and do your best to put a package together.

Comment

Originally posted by Mercracer View Post
                        No matter what component you are using, you can spend sleepless nights worrying about "best" or you can just use what you can find for a reasonable price and do your best to put a package together.
                        you make good sense. thank you for that post.
                        sigpic

Comment

Agreed on Mercracer's post.

Also, if all you can find is a nonroller block, drawbar lifters are still and option. Again, if you can justify the cost. There are plenty of flat tappet engines out there. Take precautions during break in, and you should be fine.
                          **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                          **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                          **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                          **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

I don't know if anyone here has experience with tweecers or other eec-iv tuning but is displacement one of the parameters you can change? I don't know how this engine would be controlled, but since it's going to be fuel injected using my stock wiring harnesses would be convenient. a mass air swap may be in order but that's not terribly different.

i found a pair of 351w motors disassembled. i asked the guy what years and what he wants for what...i'll keep ya posted. if he's just trying to clear up space i might get a bottom end cheap.
                            sigpic

Comment

The block casting numbers are on the passenger side rear in the area that the starter would be sitting near the oil pan and are viewed from the bottom. The casting number will tell you what block it is. The only roller blocks are F4TE castings. Like I already said, there are no bad 351W blocks but some are more "desirable" than others.

Comment

thanks again!

What kind of power would a stock block take before grenading? Just the block itself...for the sake of argument imagine it was a freshly rebuilt 302.

I see engines that have nothing more than big AFR heads and make 400hp...but I see guys on the corral talking about the stock blocks self destructing with as little as 275hp, and talking about them as if they're notorious for exploding under stress.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X