No announcement yet.

CFI. Help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CFI runs very well if you know it's issues. A lot if it's goofy problems are actually related to the timing chain. They had plastic gears which wear out and get very sloppy. If you don't replace them, the chain can jump and lunch the motor. Doesn't matter whats sitting on top, the engine itself must be right internally or its still gonna run like garbage with a carb or FI. Before you go ripping stuff off the car, make sure you know what you are working with. What year is the car anyway? There are two different CFI systems, one in 83, one from 84-85. I'd wager that a tuneup, a timing chain, and some vacuum lines will have that thing running like a top. If you want to go carb, fine, but you still need a good timing chain and ignition parts to do it.

Simply ripping parts off the car is no way to fix anything. Learn what you have and why its doing what its doing first, otherwise you might be trying to fix problems with the wrong solution, and that just leads to a lot of wasted time and money.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

You guys dont understand. my whole motto is FUCK FUEL INJECTION

Thing is im already having electrical issues. The less electronics the better for me.
      Multiport fuel injection means a whole other harness. A whole other PCM or whatever ford calls it. and that sir simply will not do.
      1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
      Carb swap planned .
      c90 heads
      475 lift cam
      Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
      Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
      331 stroker kit
      Work in progress

Comment

I just dont have the equipment to properly diagnose. i planned on a master rebuild when i had the extra 320 bucks but i want it running decently in the mean time.

i would like to ask this it doesnt seem to be getting the proper mixture, or something when i fired it up yesterday it just bogged down at idle and died
        Carb swap planned .
        c90 heads
        475 lift cam
        Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
        331 stroker kit
        Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
          CFI runs very well if you know it's issues. A lot if it's goofy problems are actually related to the timing chain. They had plastic gears which wear out and get very sloppy. If you don't replace them, the chain can jump and lunch the motor. Doesn't matter whats sitting on top, the engine itself must be right internally or its still gonna run like garbage with a carb or FI. Before you go ripping stuff off the car, make sure you know what you are working with. What year is the car anyway? There are two different CFI systems, one in 83, one from 84-85. I'd wager that a tuneup, a timing chain, and some vacuum lines will have that thing running like a top. If you want to go carb, fine, but you still need a good timing chain and ignition parts to do it.

Simply ripping parts off the car is no way to fix anything. Learn what you have and why its doing what its doing first, otherwise you might be trying to fix problems with the wrong solution, and that just leads to a lot of wasted time and money.

Its an 85. i simply know nothing about CFI except that fuel is computer controlled. i want to go carb to eliminate that part of it. But i just down want to have to install a mechanical fuel pump and all that jazz.
          Now all i really want from this car is to be an every day that i can have for the next five or six years with about 280-315 rwhp
          Carb swap planned .
          c90 heads
          475 lift cam
          331 stroker kit
          Work in progress

Comment

As for my issue yesterday on TOP of that...for some reason all of a sudden...while the radio is on. if i do anything else electrical. ie roll down windows move seat crap like that. the radio goes haywire.
            Carb swap planned .
            c90 heads
            475 lift cam
            331 stroker kit
            Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
              You guys dont understand. my whole motto is FUCK FUEL INJECTION

Thing is im already having electrical issues. The less electronics the better for me.
              Multiport fuel injection means a whole other harness. A whole other PCM or whatever ford calls it. and that sir simply will not do.
              I would really take the advice given here. Your CFI issues most likely have nothing to do with your other electrical issues. Try and concentrate on one problem at a time. There is a lot of valuable info here. If it were me, I would start tracking down your electrical issue (search forums or ask questions to properly diagnose) then start to work on getting the engine up to snuff.

Like Gadget said, there is no reason to just start pulling off parts without a plan. You may simply have a weak alternator causing your electrical problems.

I'm a fairly new member here, heck I don't even own a Panther at the moment (that will change :smirk, but I can tell you a lot of the guys on here know their shit.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I appreciate it. Ive got a new battery and and timing chain and gear set.
                I havent diagnosed the alternator problem if there is any.
                Thing is. It didnt have any electrical issues till last night. And i wasnt even messing with electronics. while the radio is on. if i move my seat. or roll down a window. or anything besides a light. the radio freaks out and changes frequency until i stop what im doing.
                Carb swap planned .
                c90 heads
                475 lift cam
                331 stroker kit
                Work in progress

Comment

If you're really DEAD set on going carbed (which I'd advise against, and I say that as someone about to slap a holley in his Vic) then you might as well pully basically everything but the shortblock and start again. New intake, new timing cover (or maybe modified?), pull the tank and put in a carb-friendly sending unit, a lot of your underhood wiring can go, etc.

I don't know what you mean by not having the proper equipment to diagnose. There really isn't much equipment to diagnose those things. A wire jumper or test light can let you pull codes, beyond that maybe a fuel pressure gauge? everything else is used on a carbed car too.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

it doesnt have to be carbed i just want to eliminate the computer controlled fuel delivery
                    Carb swap planned .
                    c90 heads
                    475 lift cam
                    331 stroker kit
                    Work in progress

Comment

You can't have both... lol
                      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                      sigpic
                      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

bah duh. i dont know why i even fuckin said that.
                        Carb swap planned .
                        c90 heads
                        475 lift cam
                        331 stroker kit
                        Work in progress

Comment

Well...whats easier. SEFI or Carb swaps?
                          Carb swap planned .
                          c90 heads
                          475 lift cam
                          331 stroker kit
                          Work in progress

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
                            Well...whats easier. SEFI or Carb swaps?
                            There's a question that's impossible to answer. Half will answer one way and half will answer another.

Best suggestion: educate yourself as much as you possibly can on small-block V8 tech. There are probably an infinite number of ways to do things whether you choose a carb or SEFI. Both systems can be made to perform well for all uses, with the possible exception that carbs retain all the inherent disadvantages of any central fuel delivery system (fuel condensing on the walls of the intake is probably the biggest one, and it's really annoying in the middle of the winter). And whichever approach you choose, you can (to my understanding at this point) have nearly any combination of power and drivability if you have a big enough engine budget.

IMO, carburetors are dead simple. For one of my engines that I particularly needed to be an utter no-brainer, I stuck new rings and bearings in my old '87 lowpo roller shortblock, and chose E7 heads, '96 Explorer roller cam, '84 Mustang intake (Edelbrock 2121 is somewhat better), an $85 rebuilt AFB carb from eBay, and a cheap HEI from eBay for spark (Duraspark distributor is great too, and works with a variety of modules). A replacement '79 fuel pump (40gph) supplies fuel from the stock 5/16" line. That engine provides adequate street performance for a very low outlay (stock Vic/LTD performance is typically between "inadequate" and "marginal").

At the other end of the spectrum, you'll be springing $1500 for TrickFlow or similar aluminum heads, $400ish for a custom billet HR cam, $500+ for other valvetrain bits, $2000+ for a really nice shortblock, $700+ for a custom carburetor, etc. etc. But, one guy I know of who's taken an approach somewhat along those lines reports 28mpg AND 350+ RWHP.

Possibly the thing to do would be to start a Readers' Rides thread and talk a bit about the vehicle, its background, and your current needs and future plans, and that might help folks to provide more useful input.
                            2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

I converted an HO to carb last July. If you want to know I can tell you how you can make the existing fuel system work with a carb. My car was orginally CFI also, but the HO i got came available so i did a complete engine swap. I can probably tell you some things you may need without breaking the bank.

2011 Grand Marquis LS Ultimate Edition
                              Dual Exhaust w/ AP XLerator mufflers and 3 1/2" tips, Eibach 1" rear sway bar, Pioneer Head unit and speakers, 17X8 Drag DR-72 wheels

RIP 1984 2Dr Crown Vic "The Millennium Falcon"
                              Carbed 5.0 HO w/nitrous , Performer RPM intake, GT40P heads, E303 cam, FRP Shorties, FRP 9mm plug wires, Off-Road H-pipe, Magnaflow round mufflers, 2000 rpm stall
                              NA-15.78@91.21, 80hp shot-14.48@96.21

Comment

I liked my HO cammed combo. Got 19mpg with the 500cfm AFB. Stuck the Explorer cam in it instead since it was going to still be used with tall gears (3.08 in this case).
                                2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Working...
                                X