No announcement yet.

CFI to CARB-Advantages, Disadvantages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not really since its still a Chryco product. I'd just love to see a 50s Chevy with a 383 that was not built out of SBC parts under the hood.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
      Vacuum line on the front of the parking brake or brake brake? The line leading to the can that's on the parking brake is the parking brake release, but the line coming off the brake pedal is for your cruise control.
      Originally posted by Crownvicman289 View Post
      That sounds like the switch itself is leaking for the cruise control. Real easy to swap out.
      Whats this?? there's no vacuum switch or vacuum anything for cruise control around the brake pedal... on boxes anyway... or any panther afaik, 'less I missed something on aeros+ Ive been in.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        not really since its still a Chryco product. I'd just love to see a 50s Chevy with a 383 that was not built out of SBC parts under the hood.
        I've been tossing around the idea of getting some oddball sized stroker just to confuse people and get arguments going at carshows by creating and unheard-of engine size for a given block.

For instance, stroke the 351W out to a 3.85 stroke (a common 393W if you bore it out to 4.030) but then bore it to 4.060 and brag about your "399W"

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by Merc302 View Post
          ive got a fabrication buddy, and i can go pick up a 350 shortblock for 150 bucks. but thats too much work for me between work 6 out of seven and school 5 out of seven.
          Guess I wasn't clear. The guy I talked to said you don't need fabrication skills to bolt in your SBC, just a drill bit. In fact, he reported running Chevy spindles on the front and a Chevy 12-bolt/four-link out back on Panthers with little trouble. Don't remember what he said about tranny crossmembers, though.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
            Whats this?? there's no vacuum switch or vacuum anything for cruise control around the brake pedal... on boxes anyway... or any panther afaik, 'less I missed something on aeros+ Ive been in.
            there is a vacuum dump valve mounted to the top of the brake pedal assembly that serves as a secondary release for the cruise control. Only time that would have vacuum on it is when the cruise control is activated though.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

there is a vacuum dump valve mounted to the top of the brake pedal assembly that serves as a secondary release for the cruise control. Only time that would have vacuum on it is when the cruise control is activated though.

Comment

whaaat?? it must be way up there... I don't remember seeing one when I wired in my 3rd brake light. *inserts foot in mouth*
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                  Guess I wasn't clear. The guy I talked to said you don't need fabrication skills to bolt in your SBC, just a drill bit. In fact, he reported running Chevy spindles on the front and a Chevy 12-bolt/four-link out back on Panthers with little trouble. Don't remember what he said about tranny crossmembers, though.
                  oh wow, i will be looking into this. im going to buy an 88 GM this weekend its in good shape and i think i can get it for four hundred
                  1985 Mercury Grand Marquis ls-302 CFI
                  Carb swap planned .
                  c90 heads
                  475 lift cam
                  Weind stealth intake(looking for reasonable air gap or manifold for 2bblsidedraft)
                  Built aod(want c6 tryin to fin vac mod model)
                  331 stroker kit
                  Work in progress

Comment

whaaat?? it must be way up there... I don't remember seeing one when I wired in my 3rd brake light. *inserts foot in mouth*
                    And I had been quite certain the cruise-cancel thingy (on cruise-equipped cars, which of course my two current LTDs aren't) just tapped off of the brake light wiring and did its thing electronically.

Comment

There are two deactivation switches for the cruise control. It's hooked up to both the brake lights and has the vacuum dump. The cruise goes into standby mode when you tap the brake pedal (from the brake lights), but has a mechanical vacuum dump in case something goes to hell.
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                      91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                      93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                      Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                      Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                      95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Interestingly, the later cars don't have the vacuum dump. They have a pressure switch in the master cylinder to break power to the cruise circuit as a secondary failsafe. The vac valve is sort of nice though. If you ever blow the fuse for the brake lights for whatever reason, the cruise will not deactivate when you tap the brakes. It will purge if you push down on the pedal a bit tho. Mildly scary when the cruise stays engaged when you don't expect it to. BTDT.

Comment

Later being what? I'm pretty damn sure my 91 has the vacuum dump on the pedal, because I've been under there several times when I had to replace the brake light switch.
                          Originally posted by gadget73
                          There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                          91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                          93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                          Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                          Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                          95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

:lol: '91 being the last year ever of "proper" Panthers .... I'd say that's pretty "later".

The only thing I'm really certain of is that I don't recall seeing any vacuum thingies going to the service-brake pedal on either my '79 wagon with cruise control or my '87 wagon that originally came with cruise control.

Comment

Originally posted by 91waggin View Post
                              Later being what? I'm pretty damn sure my 91 has the vacuum dump on the pedal, because I've been under there several times when I had to replace the brake light switch.

I think he meant aero, mine doesn't have the vac half-moon thing
                              sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

its not the half moon thing. thats for something else.

90s Towncars don't have it at least. I think the aero Vic and GMQ also do not have it, at least by 95 or so. Its whenever they added that extra switch to the master cylinder that was the subject of a recall about a year ago. ots of mid-late 90s cars were affected.

Comment

Working...
                                X