No announcement yet.

Mass Air Swap, Quick ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that's what's in my Mark. The only complaint I have is that the idle sucks on my Mark (but then some numbnuts backed the throttle stop screw all the way out and it needs a complete idle re-tune).

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
      Just an update, bought a A9P, and it works perfect. This thing has never ran better. I really can't explain how much better it runs all around. No more pinging issues, idles so much better, no more hesitation on tip in, no more popping through the intake, no more stalling when putting it in gear, everything is so much nicer. It feels so much more powerful too. Can't wait to see what it can do now.
      Everything that you'd hope for in a Mass Air swap!

Comment

Oh, and I'm using a 93 70mm Maf from a grand marq with no issues.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Interesting! What intake are you running with this engine, and have you scanned it for codes for shits and giggles?

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Oh, and I'm using a 93 70mm Maf from a grand marq with no issues.
            I would contact Lonnie at BOC.com about having a custom tune done. you will be shocked how much better it will run and perform with the correct mass air flow transfer rate programmed to the ECM.
            2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
            89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
            88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Cool. its supposed to run correctly, not like poo. I still wouldn't mind getting hold of that dickered ECM just to see if theres anything fixable on it. I've never had one open, but I like to learn on dead stuff, that way no matter what I do, it can't be any worse than it started.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget: ya want the fried one from my 88? I'll cart it up to SF if you do.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by slymer View Post
                  Gadget: ya want the fried one from my 88? I'll cart it up to SF if you do.
                  I remember the pictures.

Comment

SD or mass air? I don't really have a way to test an SD one very easily, but I wouldn't mind yanking one open just to see what I can see with it. I could technically test it in the Mark VII, but if you've ever pulled one of those ECMs out of a Fox car, you'll understand why its not something I'd voluntarily do unless I had no choice in the matter. That kickpanel location is just ignorant.

and is this thing like melted down looking? I probably can't fix that. I was hoping for something with explodo capacitors and maybe some bad solder joints. if its some BS proprietary part that grenaded, theres not much chance I can repair that.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the cap exploded out it's ass and the board is toasty in that area... so yeah... you probably don't want it then. And it's SD.

Comment

Bump from the grave. Since I converted my 89 to Mass Air I decided to make a quick cheat sheet.
                        Of course this isn't 100% correct due to wiring differences between the years, but it's all you need for a swap.

2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Thanks for adding that pin diagram. Will a MAF swap only work with an HO swap? Or would I be able to do this with my lopo SEFI 85?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

Only HO. Though I guess if you really wanted to you could convert to a 90/91 California Mass Air lopo.

Comment

Nah that doesn't sound like its worth it considering how hard that'd be to find.

It'll have to wait till my newer engine gets installed
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

No advantage to going mass air on a lopo, or even a stock HO in all honesty. The advantage of mass air is that its more accomodating of engine airflow changes, like head swaps and cams and whatnot. For a stock motor, it really doesn't run any better than speed density would.

Comment

Working...
                                X