Mass Air Swap, Quick ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    No advantage to going mass air on a lopo, or even a stock HO in all honesty. The advantage of mass air is that its more accommodating of engine airflow changes, like head swaps and cams and whatnot. For a stock motor, it really doesn't run any better than speed density would.
    Yep. In fact many people would argue SD is actually better from a performance point of view, but for overall I think Mass Air is more user friendly.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Printed, highlighted, saved to phone.

:-D
      1989 Ford Mustang LX...............................1989 Crown Victoria Country Squire LX..

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Yep. In fact many people would argue SD is actually better from a performance point of view, but for overall I think Mass Air is more user friendly.
        this!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Two things which I should add to that cheat sheet, for MAF power, you'll want to splice into pins 37 or 57, for ground you'll splice into 40 or 60
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
            Two things which I should add to that cheat sheet, for MAF power, you'll want to splice into pins 37 or 57, for ground you'll splice into 40 or 60
            I gave the MAF it's very own ground and bolted it to the fender. Ground is ground.

Comment

Ground is decidedly NOT ground when it comes to sensors and computers. If there is any potential difference (voltage, yes, on a ground) between what the ECM ground and the sensor ground, the ecm will get an erroneous reading as the reference point for the two devices is different.

Alex.

Comment

indeed. Thats why there is a ground to the back of the engine. its not a ground so much as the reference voltage point. A few tenths of a volt is enough to change things appreciably.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yep and yep. Using the same ground the computer uses rules out any problems.

Comment

Yup, that's why there is a pin for it on the ECM!
                    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

MAF uses a key on hot and a ground for the heater element for the sensor. The two signal wires are hooked up to the respective pins on the ECM harness. I didn't think the heater would be as touchy as a BAP which does get it's ground and such through the ECM harness...

Comment

I believe the signal return also references to ground somehow though, doesn't it ? Or is that strictly from the 5v ref voltage ? Most of the sensors use all three. I haven't done enough research on the inner workings of a MAF to know for sure.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

^This would make sense grounding the MAF back into the ECM vs the chassis. Right now I have it grounded to the fender and I get this reading at idle.

Im going to ground it on pin 60 and see if there is any difference.
                          1989 Ford Mustang LX...............................1989 Crown Victoria Country Squire LX..

Comment

Originally posted by vabeachsand View Post

Im going to ground it on pin 60 and see if there is any difference.

Sure enough I get better readings that are much more correct.

(Aside from me switching signal and return pins on the harness that were accidently backwards.)

Comment

I didn't see it so I'll ask, what makes the C3W less desirable?
                              1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Working...
                              X