No announcement yet.

considering a new low budget combo for my car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Aluminum block? Do you know what those cost?

We were discussing heads already. TW190s are what I have in mind for when I revive my 351, they're good for probably twice the power I'll ever need, and at $1500 they're hardly any more expensive than most aftermarket heads.
    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

An aluminum block is nonsense, anyway. Unless you are incredibly serious about shaving weight, it would be more of a pitfall than a benefit.

Regarding the original topic; I would pass. If you had the blower through the hood, it would trash the currently righteous sleeper vibe that the car has.

And for the record, boost-a-pumps and the similar are a crutch.
      **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
      **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
      **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
      **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

My unprofessional and very pro-sleeper opinion is get some afrs or tfs's first. With 430 gears and aspirations of power adders, maybe go with tfs 190s.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
        160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
        waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

When I get heads they will be the twisted wedge 225 r's from total engine airflow. I don't eventually plan on a 408 making big steam and don't want to buy heads twice. I think I am gonna scrap the blower idea. Ruins the sleeper and I much prefer turbos. But someone should buy this kit or build one similar. I just need to be patient and stick to the original plan. Hell I just need to get the tranny together and back in right now.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
            I just need to be patient and stick to the original plan. Hell I just need to get the tranny together and back in right now.

You're at the stage that I'm currently in right now. I don't have the money for the 351W, so I start thinking of building a 306, but I could go for more torque with a 331, but wait, I might need a Sportsman block instead of the stock block, I might as well save a few clams for the 351W at that point, and then get a Scat 393 stroker for an extra couple hundred $$$, but wait, this car belong's to my mom, so let's stick with the 351W if that's not too much, but that would take a little time to save up $$$ for.................... As you can see, this can easily lead one into a sanitorium.

Packman

Comment

Make sure you let me know if you need help!!! If you do this in Roanoke...
              Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
              'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
              sigpic
              85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Aluminum block? Do you know what those cost?

We were discussing heads already. TW190s are what I have in mind for when I revive my 351, they're good for probably twice the power I'll ever need, and at $1500 they're hardly any more expensive than most aftermarket heads.
                Yea Im aware. Really no point to go all out with all other aspects of the motor and have a factory block that will eventualy crack from stress. If your gonna run 6psi with stock crap heads then upgrading the block is "non-sense". A pre '82 5.0 block or '94 351w truck block would do and there cheap enough for all.

Shouldnt metal fatigue be considered when building a motor with a used block?
                Last edited by BBMK790; 04-17-2011, 10:38 AM.
                Town Coupe [X]
                Mark VI [ ]
                Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                Crown Victoria Coupe
                [ ]

Comment

I have a roller 351 block there are several accounts of them makeing over 800 hp. Which should be enoug (for awhile lol) I would love to have a dart black but they are expensive.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by BBMK790 View Post
                    Shouldnt metal fatigue be considered when building a motor with a used block?
                    SFAIK, your machinist worries about that for you when he does the standard Magnafluxing. A sonic check might be worthwhile if you have particular concerns.

There are those (a great many, actually) who say to always start with a used ("seasoned") block, as that's far more likely to actually retain its machined shape. Allegedly a brand-new block can squirm slightly once it's heat-cycled the first few times, potentially messing up meaningless details like main alignment, deck flatness, and cylinder shape.
                    2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Didnt know that. Good info.
                      Town Coupe [X]
                      Mark VI [ ]
                      Grand Marquis Coupe [ ]
                      Crown Victoria Coupe
                      [ ]

Comment

Working...
                      X