No announcement yet.

Oil Filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FL-1A because it makes me feel fizzy inside. I've put a few NAPA gold and Amsoil filters on cars at work, I can't tell them apart.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Motorcraft. I know the number, its a good filter, and its not expensive. Fits all my needs. The Chevy runs a Delco filter because I remember the number on that one too. The Napa/WIX filters are fine, as are most of the Purolators. I'm told that the Motorcraft is made by Purolator. I think Champ Labs makes the Delco. I've been told they're actually a shitty filter, but that truck has been running them for a lot of years without problems. I might consider trying a Wix next oil change to see if it helps with the valve tick in the winter. I don't know if thats a drainback valve issue, or if my lifters are just getting tired. I think its the lifters but if I can fix it with a different oil filter I will.
      Last edited by gadget73; 11-17-2013, 03:53 PM.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Okay. So stick with what I have been using and avoid Wal-Mart. Sounds good to me.

Packman

Comment

They do sell Motorcraft oil filters at Wal-mart, the ones here anyway.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

WalMart is where I used to get mine.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

My local ORiellys has a bunch of different brands cut open. Wix looks best followed by Motorcraft.

Pete
              Originally posted by gadget73
              For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
              1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
              1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

For the dollar I like Motorcraft filters. Been using the FL-910(S) on my Focus since oil change #1. Never cost me more than $4 for a filter. Now I'm using the FL-1A on the GM and its less than $4. You spend more on the crappy orange Fram filters. And from what I've seen they are pretty darn good.
                2007 Ford Focus S
                2x 1990 Mercury Grand Marquis GS
                1974 MGB

Comment

Originally posted by P72Crazy View Post
                  I've used most of the major brands. The NCSHP used whatever they could get a good deal on. The 5.8s have an oil cooler so the stock FL-300 is what I use if I have them. The State ran mostly Fram PH-43 or anything they could get a truck load deal on. I personally don't like the Fram filter. So, this might be a good time to ask if anyone has tried the FL-400 or equivalent (in a pinch?). The thread size and specs are almost identical to the FL-1 and FL-300. If I had room for an FL-1A, I'd run it.
                  Interestingly, my '90 5.8 P72 would fit the FL1A. It was a tight fit, but it would go. I've had 6 other '88-'91 P72s, and none of them would take the 1A, just the stubby 300.

I use the FL1A on my white car, as well as my Dodge.

I've tried all of them. Bosch, Royal Purple, Mobile 1, etc, etc. The more expensive ones, like the RP, and M1 are definitely thicker wall canisters, but I'm not sure what else the $12 price gets you internally. When I had a NOVI 2000 on my Dodge, I put an huge external stacked plate oil cooler, with -10 lines, a by-pass, and (2) 1 quart filters. I didn't want the oil getting too hot (going through the blower), but that was way overkill. Ended up having close to 9 quarts of capacity, which made oil changes an expensive endeavor.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

"P72Ford" That is interesting, that your 90 5.8 would take an FL1A ! I have two 90 CVPIs right now. I used the FL-300 for years on all my "oil cooler equipped" cars. That's all that would fit in the space. As far as aftermarket filters go, I've used the PH43 (no longer can find this size) and PH-16 size (although I got away from Fram years ago) when I was out of FL-300s. I have also researched and used the FL400 it a pinch! We do not run extended drains on the dino juice, so IMO the smaller filter would suffice for 2500 miles or so. Note on Fram, my dad purchased a couple of PH-16s a couple of years ago and they could not be used due to the oil filter base only having two and 1/2 threads on them. The filters never tightened up on the cooler base. Switching them to an FL-300 solved the issue. Not sure if Fram fixed their problem, but I don't use them any more anyway!!!

Comment

I have used Motorcraft FL-1A and Purolator, no problem. I usually tried to stay away from FRAM (although I like to rubber grip)

I never heard of WIX
                      "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                      -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

whatever is on sale

currently using autolite filters......the one for the smallblock ford is around 2 bucks......why spend big money on someting that you throw away every 3,000 miles?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

sound argument
                          "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
                          -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

FL-1A on the truck and the waggin'. Purolator gold on the Subaru.
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post

I never heard of WIX
                              They make NAPA filters. You seldom see them with their own brand name for whatever reason.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Motorcrafts...........WIX every now and then..........
                                Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Working...
                                X