Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dang... Even the 92-97 stuff is going away...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang... Even the 92-97 stuff is going away...

The rear control arm bushing set from ES is discontinued from what I can tell. One month backorder on summit usually means it's not available. Friggin sucks.... Even the one place that stocks all the es stuff doesn't have them listed...

I emailed 'em and will see what they say. The poly in the lowers should be a impressive handling improvement over the rubber ones. The uppers should not be replaced with poly though, it will add bind cause poor handling.
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

why no poly in the uppers?? be sure to note that in the FAQ if you havent already
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Because of the geometry in the upper control arm. For the rear end to have any significant range of motion the bushings need to give. Poly bushings up there are stiff enough to cause problems. If they were heim joints, even though they would be solid they would be able to rotate in more than one direction and would not bind. The problem lies in the fact that the bushings are the shape of a cylinder and therefore can only rotate about that axis of that cylinder.

Comment

Hmm, found a place that has them in stock. 110 bucks though.

For a little more than half that I can make my own... which makes more sense anyway since I will not be using the uppers anyway.

Comment

UM wow I think your going to be the panther suspension .."goto" guy by the time this project is done...lol....In fact I think you already are!
          YouTube. FaceBook Crown Vic Group

Comment

yeah, this is getting out of hand quickly. I need to get the car fixed. And stock isn't an option anymore, since there are not any stock replacement parts....

Comment

shitty that sucks ...all the more reason to get a frame swap.....someday

Comment

Yeah, with a custom one off frame....

Comment

ok nuff daydreaming here

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd View Post
                    yeah, this is getting out of hand quickly. I need to get the car fixed. And stock isn't an option anymore, since there are not any stock replacement parts....
                    FINALLY!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blaze86Vic View Post
                      FINALLY!!!!!!!

You know that's NOT a good thing, right? The less support we have the worse it's gonna be when you take the oak tree wrong... And it's even worse for me, since production numbers on wagons were under 10K a year and most of 'em are in demo derby's or already scrapped. I'm gonna just have to build another car to race....Which I cannot afford. I can't afford to get the wagon drivable again, let alone race worthy!

Comment

Not exactly true. For a lot of things (like control arms and bushings) converting the setup to use generic aftermarket versions is generally cheaper. How much is a new heim joint? A lot less than a new poly bushing. And as hard as it is to replace the odd part that fails each time you take it to an event, imagine how hard it would be to replace a whole section of the car if you hit something. Finding all those stock parts in good shape would be ridiculus if not impossible.

Racing aint cheap, no matter what you do. It's just gonna cost. So eventually you have to decide, bite the bullet or let it go. I personally am willing to work my summers into the ground while going to school just so I can "sort of" afford it.
                        Last edited by Blaze86Vic; 04-29-2007, 09:29 PM.

Comment

I know it's expensive, but It's gonna get to the point where we can't get any bodyparts at all, it's already like that for most parts now... and finding decent junkyard stuff is getting hard to find. I really need to get a sedan for racing. The wagon is getting too rare to be doing that. Suspension and all that stuff is fine to go aftermarket, and the hiems are WAY more expensive to replace than poly...

Or I just need a beater/racer wagon...

Comment

It really kind of sucks that there is no aftermarket support for these cars. Ford doesn't make the parts either, so when stuff breaks we're left with used, rigging, or junking. Finding things like control arm bushings should not be a hassle.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Finding a two or four door for racing would be cool too... nothing wrong with multiple panthers lol.

Maybe an aero possibly?...
                              1984 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murphmobile (RIP)
                              1985 Ford Crown Vic LTD, The Murph Deuce (SOLD)
                              1978 Chevrolet Caprice Classic, The Crapiece (current project)

Comment

Working...
                              X