Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

need a little help with new brakes and fuel lines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need a little help with new brakes and fuel lines...

hey guys, its time for new lines on the old merc and i've never ran any before so i'm going to need a little help. just wondering what size lines i need and what fitting types and sizes i'll have to order to do the job.

the car is capable of 500hp at the moment with nitrous, and in the future a blown 427 stroker is going in which will be probly 600hp or so... so the fuel lines will have to support that... brake wise, me and the car are both not getting any lighter haha.

thanks for all your help, andy
    Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
    HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Standard 3/16" brake line and (I'm pretty sure) standard fittings, except at the master cylinder where I'm pretty sure you will find metric fittings and bubble flares. Im not sure what size fittings they are, but if they aren't in bad shape you can re-use them on your new lines.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

-6 AN will flow enough fuel for around 6-700 hp n/a iirc.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Personally, while doing new brake lines, since you're gonna have such a beast, I'd upgrade to big brakes if you haven't already.

Comment

Originally posted by 85crownHPP View Post
          Standard 3/16" brake line and (I'm pretty sure) standard fittings, except at the master cylinder where I'm pretty sure you will find metric fittings and bubble flares. Im not sure what size fittings they are, but if they aren't in bad shape you can re-use them on your new lines.
          Metric brake fittings on a Box? :no: Though, the master cylinder and stock distribution block (if still in use) both use weird tube nuts (normally 3/16" line uses nuts with 3/8" thread, but IIRC most use 7/16" thread and one uses 1/2" thread), so trying to reuse the originals is excellent advice if you dislike shopping for adaptators.

For fuel line, I replaced my rusted-through original stuff with bulk 3/8" aluminum tube from Summit. TOWN had more ambitious goals in mind, and didn't mind spending actual money on the project, so he used braided AN hose comparable to 1/2" tubing.
          Last edited by 1987cp; 07-06-2011, 11:51 AM.
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
            Metric brake fittings on a Box?
            yup! just the 'newer' boxes... 88-89 use one metric/bubble in the valve thing for the rear line at the MC and have a junction block in place of the prop valve, and 90-91 have what look like 3 metric fittings at the MC, and no prop valve or other junction block to speak of.
            Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
            'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
            sigpic
            85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Oh, how very weird.

Comment

EFI or carb? It matters when talking fuel lines. carbs need a fatter fuel line than EFI since they usually suck the fuel from the tank, where with EFI the pump is at the back and pushes fuel at higher pressure. Stock fuel line is I believe 5/16" for feed and return. 3/8 or 7/16" for EFI ought to be enough. Somewhere I recall seeing these really trick adapters for the stock Ford fuel rails that converted the quick connects to AN flare fittings. If you could come up with a set of those, you could run braided flex lines down to the frame, and then your hard lines back from that point. Done properly it would be a nice clean look and still give you the larger lines. When the time comes to dump the stock fuel rail, the AN fittings will already be there for whatever ends up on the car.

and yes, consider upgrading the brakes if you want that much motor. Upping the size of the lines won't help you any. Stock is 3/16" double flare, except at the MC as mentioned.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

i want to keep the 15" rims which from what i understand will not allow big brakes? i will however get better performance callipers, rotors, and pads for the front and then do rear disk brakes.
                  HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

I think one of the best braking upgrades is to use an adjustable proportioning valve (in addition to any necessary residual and/or holdoff valves, of course) to help keep the front brakes from locking up instantly under hard braking. Speedway Motors even has a tiny little adjustable prop valve that can be mounted discreetly if desired.

Comment

You can upgrade to 95-97 spec brakes. The rotors are a little bit larger, not much, but the calipers have larger pistons for more clamping force. Its also a forged upper arm instead of that stamped steel thing. The 97 and older brakes fit a 15" wheel.

and yeah, tweaking the proportioning may not be a bad idea. Rear disc brakes, if you don't already have them, would probably also help. They do want a little bit different proportioning specs than a disc/drum combo too. Easiest way around that is to use a master cylinder and prop valve from a later car, since it should already be set up for a disc/disc combo.
                      Last edited by gadget73; 07-16-2011, 10:10 PM.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

areospace calipers.....
                        89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Originally posted by zoomie View Post
                          areospace calipers.....
                          :confused:

Comment

to swap to rear disk brakes... can i use mustang backing plates or other ford 8.8's? or does it have to be a marquis/vic

Comment

Originally posted by merc91 View Post
                              to swap to rear disk brakes... can i use mustang backing plates or other ford 8.8's? or does it have to be a marquis/vic
                              Good question, I'm not sure. They might work, or they might not, since they might have different parking brake setups, or backing plate differences.

Comment

Working...
                              X