Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark VI Coupe has HD Frame like Police Interceptor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
    nice. A friend of mine had a 71 Mustang with a whooped 302 in it. He replaced the oil pump and went fishing in the pan while it was off. He found a bearing like the one in the picture laying in the pan. Never investigated to find out where it came from, but my guess is thats why it made no oil pressure. He put it back together and ran it a couple more years before selling it. The motor sounded horrible, but it ran.
    I'm no expert, but it certianly seems that the older Ford V8s will run for a long time with low oil pressure. My 79 Conti with the 400 was still going after 30K+ miles of driving with little or no oil pressure at idle in gear. In the summer I ran straight 50 weight oil in that thing, just to build a little pressure.
    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
    Past Panthers
    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

mk6 coupes have the same wheelbase as a vic/gm

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
      2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
      1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
      1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
      2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
      1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

the 84 f150 my dad had knocked for at least 2K miles until he sold it... the guy that bought it put another 5 K on it knocking... then sold it. The next person put at least another 3K on it before leaving the grapevine of information... so they can run for quite some time knocking like hell. That was a 302 with a whipped carb.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
          Someone once told me that the panther wagon used the same frame as the f-150.Any truth to that?
          2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Originally posted by LTDMan83 View Post
            Very Cool that my car has an HD frame. The car feels much more solid, than the past LTD/Marquis' that I have owned. I can't wait to drive/ride in this beauty.

Slightly off topic, but I had to show this. After taking apart the original 351w engine today, I found out why she knocked like a mofo, and caused the original owner to junk the car. Just what I thought it would be....Burnt up Rod Bearing on #7, paper thin. Ouch!

time to get out the plastigage and see if the oil clearance is within spec lol
            sigpic

- 1990 Ford LTD Crown Victoria P72 - the street boat - 5.0 liter EFI - Ported HO intake/TB, 90 TC shroud/overflow, Aero airbox/zip tube, Cobra camshaft, 19lb injectors, dual exhaust w/ Magnaflows, Cat/Smog & AC delete, 3G alternator, MOOG chassis parts & KYB cop shocks, 215/70r/15s on 95-97 Merc rims

- 2007 Ford Escape XLT - soccer mom lifted station wagon - 3.0 Duratec, auto, rear converter delete w/ Magnaflow dual exhaust

- 2008 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate Edition - Daily driver - 4.6 2 valve Mod motor, 4R75E, 2.73s. Bone stock

Comment

^LOL

That bearing was still hanging on under the cap, surprisingly. The oil pan was frag free. This motor was indeed low-mileage, and came apart easier than any motor I have ever seen in my time. Was a pleasure to deconstruct.

The rest of the bearings where damn near perfect, including the crank bearings. I gave the D9 block to a buddy for free yesterday, who wants to rebuild it and use it for his '79 Bronco project, so at least my cars original block will live and run on, in another cool project. Which is a helluva lot better than just throwing it away, imo.

I do agree that it seems like oil pressure is not a working requirement for these weak old Ford V8's.

Comment

Originally posted by 1987cp View Post
                Sorry for the dumbo question, I've never worked on a truck......

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Originally posted by mitymerc View Post
                  Sorry for the dumbo question, I've never worked on a truck......
                  He was out of line. Having met you in person at SF, I know for a fact that you have areas of expertise that other people on this board haven't a clue about. You needn't feel bad about asking questions that you are curious about.

My police cars were stamped HD in the rear, on the frame horn just aft of the rear wheel on the driver's side.

Never really noticed if my Dad's P71 was stamped HD or not.
                  **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                  **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                  **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                  **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Just looked under my police car and it does in fact have HD stamped on it...where the rear control arm mounts to the frame.
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

When I first bought my merc I was showing it to my dads buddy who is in his late 60's and used to be head mechanic at the local ford dealership. He told me that in 88 when they went and did the redesign on the panther that everything got the HD frame until 91 and prior to 88 the HD frame was specific to the lincolns and cvpi's. Dunno how true this is just what I was told by a normally reputable source. I do know that when I had my car up to 102 mph it felt extremely solid id even venture to say it was more solid than my aero merc.
                      Last edited by mercurygm88; 12-12-2011, 05:00 PM.
                      2002 Mercury Grand Marquis LSE, Sylvania Zevo LED Headlights, MSD Blaster Coils, K&N Cold Air Intake, Dual Exhaust, 3.27's - Dally Driver

1983 Lincoln Continental Mark VI, Smog Delete - Summer Cruiser

Comment

Originally posted by mercurygm88 View Post
                        When I first bought my merc I was showing it to my dads buddy who is in his late 60's and used to be head mechanic at the local ford dealership. He told me that in 88 when they went and did the redesign on the panther that everything got the HD frame until 91 and prior to 88 the HD frame was specific to the lincolns and cvpi's. Dunno how true this is just what I was told by a normally reputable source.
                        Interesting! I'd love to know the specifics of the HD frame...whether the entire thing was made of a thicker gauge steel or just parts of it...
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

My car has HD stamped right where the rear lower control arm mounts to the frame, as well. For anyone who is wondering if there car has one or not, looking there would be the definitive way to know, without having to pull the motor mounts.

I've been measuring and comparing the HD frame on my Lincoln, with the standard frame on my LTD, and it certainly is made of a thicker gauge metal all around, from front to back. The Engine and Trans cross-members are much beefier than the ones on the standard frame as well. I might have to source an HD frame for my LTD, when the time comes, that or just go for an 03+ frame.

Comment

can we have a picture of this location? Quick gander at mine showed nothing.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                            X