Steering Coulmb stupid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
    There is one issue not mentioned steering wheel squeeek. Turn the wheel and there is a squeky scraping sound. Ford had a special lube for the slip rings on the back of the wheel. Special in that it is a conductive lube/grease. From what I have learned so far one version was replaced by another which was then obsoleated. Some searching found what I believe to be a replacement. Ordered and waiting for deliverly
    Yeah, my brother has that issue, to a minor extent, on his Topaz. I assume the steering wheel needs to come off to apply it??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Might depend on the vehicle. I never reinstalled the collar right behind the wheel hope to be ablr to apply it this way. Removing the wheel would realy be the best way. I doubt much lube is needed. Too much and it might cause a bridge for current flow from one ring to another because it will conduct electrictricty.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

the problem with mine is the plastic collar rubbing on the shroud. of course, my shroud is slowly turning to dust.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The coller shouldnt be rubbing on the shroud, its susposed to be attached to the steering column tilt mecinisum. It should move with the tilt but not with the wheel.
          Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

just double checked... you're right... it's the steering wheel rubbing against that collar.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
            X