Box Suspension upgrades and handling improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box Suspension upgrades and handling improvement

Hey guys I'm starting to wonder about suspension upgrades for my 84 gm.

so far I've read this http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...her-suspension, but that's it.

I honestly have no knowledge on this subject, and I don't have any idea what the car can actually handle, I just know I'd like to be a little more efficient at going around corners and getting off the line. what direction should I head in?

There are many things you can do but what i have found works for me, and I am just talking about spirited driving not drag racing. Bigger front sway(if you do not have a wagon or cop car), completely fix the worn out front end (e.g. bushings, ball joints, idler, pitman, tie rods, springs and shocks of your choice). Do the 98-02 brake upgrade at the same time.

In the rear make it a posi (maybe do all the bearings at the same time depending on mileage) Add a nice sway bar, springs and shocks of your choice. Check the bushings. Do the rear disk brake upgrade. (either 92-02 easier? or 03-11)

upgrade to 16" rims for a bit better rubber and I believe they are needed for the big brakes.

All to taste. Like I said this makes it handle respectably, not necessarily a race car. You do not have to do the rear brakes at the same time as the other rear upgrades but doing the fronts when you rehab the front end really makes sense. You may want to do the rear brakes first as I found that doing the front upgrade first made the fronts lock up too easy. You may need an adjustable proportioning valve.

This is a good deal of work and money, if time and money are short this is the work order I suggest.
    1) new wheels and rubber
    2) rear brakes
    3) complete front end work
    4) the remaining rear work

Unless your front end is dangerous then take care of that first.

If you plan it out, decide on your parts, shop for prices, then you can get the biggest, best bang for the buck.
    Last edited by jaywish; 01-30-2013, 05:58 PM.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

If you have the cash and/or knowhow, you can easily make these cars corner well enough to make most people pucker up big time, without even breaking tire traction. The first step (of many) is usually wider tires/wheels, big sway bars (with poly front links) and better shocks. These make a world of difference by themselves and may satisfy you. Of course, as mentioned, only after replacing any worn out front end parts.
      A limited slip rear (and good tires) is all you will need to get off the line... no need to worry about anything else until you are putting down serious power.
      Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
      'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
      sigpic
      85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Biggest improvements are stiffer springs, shocks to match the spring rate and the widest tires possable.
        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Even if you dont go wider tires, get better ones. Cheap ass tires suck, and the best suspension in the world will be limited if you put crappy shoes under it.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

One other thing to watch for on tires is load rating. Perty much the higher the better. I tried some 1400 lbs load rating tires on the front once. I turned in my road then the drivemy son was laughing. Said whats up. He said your car is turning one way and the tires the other. I dont screw around in my neibour hood just driving normal. I had a feeling something was going on before that. Put my 275 50 15s back on thier rated at 2050 lb. Ride better corner better.
            Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

WOW...thanks guys all of that was extremely helpful. This is definitely work I want to start now and try to finish by the end of this year. I've done a bit of front end work within the last year, (ball joints, idler, bushings, tie rods and sway bar links)

the question I have now is..where to find the parts, specifically the sway bars, springs/shocks (what is a respectable spring rate?) and the parts for the disc upgrade and is it a bolt on process? Is there a panther performance parts retailer that I'm missing?

lol sorry for all the noob questions

Comment

Where are you?
                03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

There's ADTR.net but they don't sell much for boxes, if anything. I've never gotten a straight answer on whether the rear control arms they sell for 92-97's fit.

There's no retailer that caters to box panthers, really.

How extreme do you wanna go? Full roadracing spec, or just a firmer daily driver that can do some autocrossing or what?

Generally we buy springs from Speedway Springs or police-spec springs can be had at a regular autoparts store.

For the rest of the bits, sway bar and police rear control arms and stuff, you basically will be scouring junkyards, Ebay and this site for used items.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                  160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                  waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

limo springs are fun
                    89 townie, mild exhuast up grades, soon to have loud ass stereo....

Comment

Working...
                    X