Air Spring Refill Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air Spring Refill Procedure

I'm planning on attacking the rear air springs tonight on my '90 lincoln, and understand the process fine up until the last part: "Refill the air springs."

I understand not extending/unfolding the air spring during install, but the problem is it says *When installing a new air spring, care must be taken not to apply a load to the suspension until springs have been inflated using the air spring fill procedure. & *After inflating an air spring in the hanging position, it must be inspected for proper shape.

WTF? It doesn't say or show anything anywhere about the air spring fill procedure. Just says 'do it.'

Is there a fill valve somewhere, or do I cycle the switch in the trunk with the entire ass of the car in the air?

Any help would be appreciated. I'm planning on replacing the rear shocks first, then taking out the old air springs & putting the new ones in. I just don't get what I'm supposed to do before setting the car back on the ground without destroying the rear airbags. Thanks!
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

At my shop, we just use compressed air from a blower nozzle to fill them up a little before setting the car down.
    Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
    'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
    sigpic
    85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Thank you mang, replacement got pushed back to tomorrow.
      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Blah, it's still over at my brother's. what a pain in the ass. Not done yet, gotta figure out how to put it down & hope there's air in them.

Comment

Well what about using the on-board compressor. Just send the "car is low" signal with the ride height sensor with the switch and key on and the doors and trunk closed.

I have not had to do this job but it is what comes to mind. Are you referencing the factory service manual?

IIRC the sensor must detect a constant low (or High) position for approx 30 seconds before the computer will take action.

In this case you would want to compress the sensor to signal the car is low.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks jaywish, I don't have the factory manual for the car. I'll have to see what I can find on the sensor location. Dead center iirc.

Comment

Jacked up the left rear drum & turned air ride on then turn key without start & they filled great. Was then able to snap passenger side in & lower it. No pops, everything seems good. I will have my mechanic check for other leaks when I have brake & gas lines done soon.

Comment

Working...
              X