Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

are you running and EGR at all? Wonder if that's messing with the mixture...could be leaning out a bunch under load....Have you tested the fuel pressure under a load condition? Is the timing advance working?

My car was doing a similar thing until I put 24lb injectors in...
    Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

By popping...do you mean backfire? I posted something the same on CVN...but if the spark plug wires are mixed up, you could backfire in the exhaust. It pops and runs rough...

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
      302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
      '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
      '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

What plug wires you running? If you say motorsport, rip them off and buy a good set of wires. Mine were causing all kinds of troble. Almost costed me the motor.
        http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
        http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

go back to basics.... verify the ignition firing order is correct. double check the igntion timing is set correcly and you pulled the SPOUT plug when you set it. check you have adequate fuel supply and the fuel pressure is correct. are all the vaccum hoses attached in the correct places. are the 02 sensors hooked up correctly, Crossing the harness will mess things up.
          check the ECM for trouble codes, mainly engine running.
          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

popping, could it be your maf/map, your timing maybe not set right? or its it popping on deceleration only? popping through the intake? afterfire?

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
              gadget-
              1) If it was the valve springs, it should do it in a free rev as well as under load because load doesn't have any different effect on the springs themselves.
              2) I'm running a stock 1987 Mustang GT cam. This cam was designed for use with SD computers, so I don't see why it'd give me trouble now...

Keep the ideas coming, guys.

OK, I didn't realize you were running an HO cam. Thought you were running stock Exploder cam. I'm not sure if dead revving the motor would show the valve float issue as much as it would under load. It might float a little and just not be terribly apparent because the motor has no strain on it. I won't claim to swear to this obviously, but sometimes things only appear under a load. The fuel pump would definitely show this problem tho since it doesn't need much oomph to make a motor with no load spin. If you have a fuel pressure tester with a long hose you could hook it up and go for a blast down the road to see what it does.

Oh, and no need to be bitchy at people that toss in suggestions. Cheer up emo kid!
              Last edited by gadget73; 07-13-2006, 10:22 PM.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I won't continue about the argument. I'm too worn out.

The pedal assembly was built using a Mustang pedal, but I have UPR "adjustable" quadrant and cable.

I'm running blown out Flowmasters. They're garbage and I'll never buy them again. I think I'd rather asspacks to these pieces of shit.

I don't have EGR, no.

I'll be pulling the hood to check my fuel pressure tomorrow. I don't know whether the timing advance is working and I don't know how I could possibly check it without a scanner (which I don't have).

The popping is in the exhaust; doesn't sound too strong unless I'm at decent RPM and come off it instantly.

I'm running cheap plug wires. I spent $60 on some, but they melted off almost instantly because they had 135* boots. I'm gonna check the fuel and such and if that doesn't show any results, I'll swap the wires.

As I said on CVN, I'm gonna verify all the basics tomorrow.

I'll start with fuel, timing, firing order, and such... I'll swap the fuel filter before anything because I'm sure it could use it. Then I'll pull the hood to check the fuel pressure. Anything else?
                2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

sometimes when i see things that dont work i slap them in the face and say "bitch wheres my money"
                  how new are the wires? you check la resistance of them? maybe a different gap plug?

i cant remember if you have cats or not... i know when my car got an exhaust leak and it was louder, i could hear more popping than usual.

hows the gas milage? you do a KOEO and KOER test?

Comment

The mileage sucks. I tested the O2s before I reinstalled them yesterday and they're good.
                    I haven't check the resistance of the plug wires, but as I said, if nothing else solves it, I'll give it a go. This seems to be more an issue of something not being right at all instead of not getting quite enough spark.
                    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.

Comment

Do you have a timing light? If you do, you can check advance. Put the spout in, hook up the light and rev the car while looking at the timing marks with the light...should move around..

Comment

I'll try that. Thanks, Mike. (Mike, right?)

Comment

Yep.. Mike... And the timing shoudn't go more than 30 something IIRC...MAx timing should be by 3400...

Comment

Cool. I'm gonna go do a KOEO right now. I'll post up any findings when I get back.

Comment

Is the spout connector hooked up?

If it isnt, it will cause problems like this.
                              1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                              Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
                                I don't know whether the timing advance is working and I don't know how I could possibly check it without a scanner (which I don't have).
                                It either works....or not. You can check basic advance with a timing light.

Comment

Working...
                                X