Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frankenstein T-5 Waggin' Chronicle (vast doesnt do it)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

turbo- if I do anything else for heads, I'm springing for Edelbrock, I think... I'll worry about that when the time comes.
    I do believe that it's fuel related now, also. I slowly drove it up to 4,500 RPMs and it started bucking and popping. Would that be fuel or valve springs? Could be both, I imagine. Fuel pressure will be tested both on and off load tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all the help, guys.
    2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
    1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
    1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

Originally posted by Freshmeat
      turbo- if I do anything else for heads, I'm springing for Edelbrock, I think... I'll worry about that when the time comes.
      I do believe that it's fuel related now, also. I slowly drove it up to 4,500 RPMs and it started bucking and popping. Would that be fuel or valve springs? Could be both, I imagine. Fuel pressure will be tested both on and off load tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all the help, guys.
      Had a guy using our ported E7s switched to Edelbrock heads and lost 50 RWHP. He switched back and sold the Edelbrocks.

Did you do anything to the heads? Like change valve retainers on the exhaust.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
        Essentially the motor is stock, so Freshmeat is correct. the ECM has a pretty wide adaptive strategy and should automatically adjust for 14.7:1 A/F ratio provided it gets the correct information and there are no mechanical faults, such as vaccum leaks or an injector problem, the pump is on its way out or there is a restriction in the fuel supply

Yes, it's essentially stock...but the equivalent stock motor is a 93-95 Cobra. So the ECU that works with that setup would be a mass air ECU and 24 lb injectors....
        Builder/Owner of Badass Panther Wagons

Busy maintaining a fleet of Fords

Comment

Well if it dosent have 24s better jack the pressure up with 19s and a HO ecm

Comment

Mine was really lean with the 19's. The 24's fixed that. Still needs chip tuned, or there is something else wrong with mine...it won't idle and runs kinda crappy

Comment

The engines are rejecting their wagon bodies. Just kidding fellas, don't beat me please.
              Chris - A 20th Century Man \m/ ^.^ \m/

Comment

LOL, might be....

Comment

sounds like the valvesprings now........superlinc does the exact same thing around 4500 rpm......and that is a brand new 96 explorer motor

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd
                    Yes, it's essentially stock...but the equivalent stock motor is a 93-95 Cobra. So the ECU that works with that setup would be a mass air ECU and 24 lb injectors....
                    Whin I was thinking of FI on my motor there was something funky about the Cobra setup but cant remember what. Just remember deciding not to use it.

Comment

Let me guess, it just stis there at idle and

pop....pop..pop.pop.......BANG....pop...pop

I had a chevelle that did that constantly, at any rpm totally randomly. I had an H-pipe put in and that took care of it.

Hope that helps out!
                      2008 Mercury Grand Marquis GS Bone Stock

The modern definition of "racist" is "someone who is arguing with a Liberal".--updated Peter Brimelow quote.

Comment

Originally posted by mrltd

Explorer uses 19lb injectors from the factory.
                        2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                        89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                        88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

turbo- what do ya'll charge for your E7s?

I'm gonna check the fuel pressure when I get a chance. How would I test to see if I need 24# injectors?
                          2011 Mustang GT Premium, MT82, Kona/Saddle, HIDs, 3.73s, 19s, hood/side stripes, UPR 1.5" springs with adjustable panhard bar, and UMI solid LCAs and relocation brackets.
                          1992 Explorer Eddie Bauer, slight lift, 34s, and A/C...
                          1979 Bronco Custom, 351M/C6/NP205, 4" lift, 35s, lots of fender trimming.

Comment

maybe see if its running lean ?

one of those laser thermometers help? see how hot the manifold gets?

Comment

Originally posted by 88grandmarq
                              Explorer uses 19lb injectors from the factory.
                              Yes, I am aware. Thats with a explorer cam and the crap manifolds and exhaust. Also, that motor wasn't really setup to run over 4500 rpm....

With the HO cam and decent manifolds exhaust it's more like a Cobra motor. Both engines came factory with mass air...and most are using SD and expecting it to run well. My friggin MAF car runs like ass...needs a ton of work..

Comment

Mine was really lean with the 19's. The 24's fixed that. Still needs chip tuned, or there is something else wrong with mine...it won't idle and runs kinda crappy
                                So you have 24# injectors with a 19# ECM? No wonder...

It's using 19# injection timing with 24# injectors it's probably running either rich or lean, because it's injecting too much fuel or not enough because the injector cycle time gets slower (how fast the injector can open and close) as the injector gets bigger.

You mentioned a tune, so you already know what's needed though.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
                                302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
                                '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
                                '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Working...
                                X